Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

Trash? :lol:Or is that the real title of a film?

Yeah, it's Stephen Daldry's next film. They always get him in regardless of how good the film really is.

Some other categories:

Best Director

Richard Linklater - BoyhoodTerrence Malick - Knight of Cups/Voyage of TimeBennett Miller - FoxcatcherChristopher Nolan - InterstellarJean-Marc Vallee - Wild

Best ActorChristian Bale - Knight of CupsChadwick Boseman - Get On UpJack O'Connell - UnbrokenJoaquin Phoenix - Inherent ViceEllar Coltrane - Boyhood

Best ActressAmy Adams - Big EyesBerenice Bejo - The SearchMeryl Streep - Into the WoodsQuvenzhane Wallis - AnnieReese Witherspoon - Wild

Best Supporting ActorSteve Carrell - FoxcatcherJohnny Depp - Into the WoodsEthan Hawke - BoyhoodMark Ruffalo - FoxcatcherChristoph Waltz - Big Eyes

Best Supporting ActressPatricia Arquette - BoyhoodAnnette Bening - The SearchJessica Chastain - InterstellarRooney Mara - TrashEmma Stone - Magic in the Moonlight

Best Original ScreenplayM Hazanavicius - The SearchR Linklater - BoyhoodT Malick - Knight of CupsC Nolan/J Nolan - InterstellarW Allen - Magic in the Moonlight

Best Adapted ScreenplayS Baigleman/Je Butterworth/JH Butterworth - Get On UpN Hornby - WildEM Frye/D Futterman - FoxcatcherG Flynn - Gone GirlD Aronofsky/A Handel - Noah

Best Animated FeatureBig Hero 6Book of LifeThe Boxtrolls

How to Train Your Dragon 2The Lego Movie

Best VFXCaptain America: The Winter SoldierExodusInterstellarInto the WoodsNoah

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

If Malick's next two films are less like his first four and more like To the Wonder (which I personally like a lot and admire even more), you can forget about them receiving any kind of Oscar consideration, aside from maybe cinematography. And even if he releases something acclaimed and at least somewhat Academy-friendly this time around, his films have never really been about their screenplays, and while there have been some standout performances in them, they've never been recognised, and I don't know why that would change now.

My big hopes are that the Academy finally notices Linklater as a director, and also that Tim Burton's second collaboration with the Ed Wood writers produces something close to that film's magic, and he finally gets himself a Best Director nom. And I most definitely hope that Amy Adams' performance is as good as we know it could be and she not only gets nominated, but wins for it. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

Best Picture 2014:

Interstellar (if Gravity loses this year - it'd be the Oscar's way of honoring Nolan and sci-fi in one ceremony) 

Exodus (I think with Christian Bale, Ridley Scott can make a comeback from his slump)

Boyhood (seems really inventive)

Get On Up (the feel good nominee) 

Inherent Vice (Academy will let PTA in this time around)

Big Eyes (could be Burton and Adams's moments of glory) 

Into the Woods (Meryl Streep + musical=guaranteed GG wins plus a nod) 

Gone Girl (Ben Affleck and David Fincher will peak people's interest) 

Foxcatcher/Unbroken (either one could take this) 

I'd love to see Big Hero 6 or LEGO Movie get a nod just because  :lol: but I know that's an utter long shot 

If they can snub Affleck after two very good movies and another Oscar nomination under his belt then Jolie stands no chance. Especially considering her last film was a dud and female director nominees are few and far between.

Maybe Streisand is a better comparison though.