Fake

The International Box Office Discussion Thread

The trailer was well received here, but i doubt the mainstream appeal. Still, let's hope for the best (I'll be there); The Hangover and Hangover2 were a big success in Austria while "Paul" didn't draw crowds (even worse in Germany); for now I'd place it more in the "Paul" region so it'll be a pleasant surprise if it does better.

Spain shocked by tax hike

Spanish B.O. dropped 12% first half year.

The VAT rise is going to kill definitely the box office in Spain. People have always complained about the elevated ticket prices. I don't know what will happen since September (the tax rise will be effective since September 1st). I don't expect anything special from here. Before this, I was expecting a great number only from Hobbit from here till the year ends. But I already doubt it.

Wherever the numbers are, too tired I am.

Going sleep.

they published some - just not all

Fox International reported that in its third weekend the animation was active on 14,131 screens in 64 markets and has now reached a $339m running total.

Meanwhile The Amazing Spider-Man turned in another impressive result, adding $67m in its third weekend through Sony for $320m.

Fox International claimed Ice Age: Continental Drift ranked number one in 30 of its 37 markets where rankings were available at time of writing.

Russia led the way on $16.4m from an all-time wide screen count of 2,090 screens as the film scored the biggest opening weekend of the year-to-date and the biggest opening day for an animated film.

The UK debut generated $9.1m from 1,246, which combines with previews for a $20.8m running total. There was a strong Hong Kong launch on $2.1m from 127.

Germany produced $12.4m after climbing 7% in the second weekend from 1,214 for $33.6m. France led the third weekend holdovers on $6.9m from 1,019 for $34.3m, which ranks as the second biggest territory gross so far behind $34.9m in Mexico following a $4.4m gross there from 1,046.

Staying with the third weekend holds, Ice Age 4 grossed $5.3m in Brazil from 891 for $28.6m, $4.1m in Australia from 456 for $23.7m and $2.6m in Argentina from 270 for $14.8m for the industry’s biggest third weekend.

Spain stands at $13.2m, Colombia a staggering $10.1m, Norway $6.8m and Sweden $5.1m.

[*]Turning to The Amazing Spider-Man, the superhero reboot stands at $521m worldwide and brought in a further $6m in the UK from 911 in the second weekend for $29.5m and added $5.2m in Mexico from 2,395 for $19.6m and $4.9m in Brazil from 906 for $17.5m.

Elsewhere the webslinger added $4.8m in South Korea from 645 for $32.2m after three sessions, $3.9m in France from 798 for $13.9m after two, $3.8m in Australia from 581 for $14.1m after two and $3.1m in Japan from 1,087 for $27.5m after three.

[*]R-rated comedy Ted grossed $9.7m through Universal Pictures International from 353 sites in four territories to boost the early international running total to $31.3m and the global tally to $190.3m.

It opened top in New Zealand on an excellent $1.5m from 56 and stayed top for the second weekend in Australia as $6.9m from 237 resulted in Universal’s biggest second weekend and raised the tally to a sensational $24.5m.

Snow White And The Huntsman added $9.3m from 4,000 sites in 55 territories to reached $218.8m and pulled off a $3.7m number one launch in Italy from 398 venues including previews. Australia was the top holdover on $1.5m from 244 for $18.3m after four weekends.

Oliver Stone’s drugs drama Savages took $1m from Mexico, Trinidad and Turkey while The Five-Year Engagement stands at $18.3m. Universal distributes What To Expect When You’re Expecting in Spain, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and Latin America and the rom-com opened in Spain and French-Switzerland this weekend on $760,000.

[*]Paramount Pictures International reported that DreamWorks Animations’ Madagascar 3 grossed $4.6m from 5,470 cinemas in 42 countries in its sixth weekend to reach $270.1m.

The film added $1.1m in France from 630 for $24.5m and has become the biggest animation and the third biggest industry release of all time in Russia on $48.6m.

Katy Perry: Part Of Me stands at an early $4.1m while The Dictator stands at $97.4m and opened top in Spain on $1.8m from 328 sites.

Edited by overhyped

What about Ted in NZ? USD1.5m is about NZD1.9m. Not sure about NZD but in USD that's about the #10 opening weekend of all time. #2 for the year behind TA.

Edited by DeeCee

With a hold like that in Australia, unless The Dark Knight Rises sucks the life dry out of Ted.... Ted is well on his way to 40m+ AUD (and USD).Scary thought - Ted's hold is comparable to the first weekend drop of Bridesmaids from Last year (which also had a similar rollout pattern ~ previews before opening)... the thing is Ted is doing this with much larger totals... While i doubt very much Ted can continue this kind of performance, If Ted can continue to hold similarly to Bridesmaids throughout it's run then it could reach as high 55m AUD..... As I said an unlikely scenario given what opens this week coming, but still a scary thought to the level this is performing at.....just insane!

• Like 1

What about Ted in NZ? USD1.5m is about NZD1.9m. Not sure about NZD but in USD that's about the #10 opening weekend of all time. #2 for the year behind TA.

Wtf?!How can that be right? What about Potters, Twilight and LOTR?!