grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

Just now, Goffe said:

Comparing Yates, who basically has just one franchise under his belt, to Scorcese, who has +40 years worth of movies. :insane:

Well yes, is he a bad example to show that purely using box office is not the perfect way to rank director popularity ?, the genre of movie, there world marketing budget and so on affect them a lot, enough to make it hard to isolate the effect of the director. What is the problem with my argument ?

Using a popularity poll, made over 10 of thousand of movie goers asking them there favorite director is not a worst way to go, than simply looking at the box office track record, both have values.

6 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Comparing Yates, who basically has just one franchise under his belt, to Scorcese, who has +40 years worth of movies. :insane:

LOl that Jessica Chastain emoticon. :rofl:

But, yes, good point about Yates. It's like comparing Blanchett, who can't open a movie, to real draws just because she had 3 minutes in each of LOTR and Hobbit movies and therefore the boxofice of movies she was on ends up greater than Sandra Bullock's boxoffice or whatever. People actually do shit like that, especially now for Marvel actors, acting like those actors, not Marvel, is responsible for big numbers. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar

I'm not sure people followed my point at all.

I'm using the comparison to show that no the popularity is not purely in the numbers, using one director in the top 10 of the unadjusted biggest box office filmography vs one that is last movie didn't do anything, to show that there is a bit more to it, a better work can be done than simply ranking director by their box office if you want to rank their popularity.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I'm not sure people followed my point at all.

I'm using the comparison to show that no the popularity is not purely in the numbers, using one director in the top 10 of the unadjusted biggest box office filmography vs one that is last movie didn't do anything, to show that there is a bit more to it, a better work can be done than simply ranking director by their box office if you want to rank their popularity.

But those popularity polls you cited are just as flawed. Besson's home country is included while Jackson's is not. And even with that handicap, Jackson is still the better known director.

4 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

But those popularity polls you cited are just as flawed. Besson's home country is included while Jackson's is not. And even with that handicap, Jackson is still the better known director.

Well sure, but I never argued that Besson is more known that Peter Jackson, I don't see what is the problem you are trying to show there.

I said, Besson is one of the most popular director, (at least that what those polls showed me when I ranked all the director in them and the fact that is one of the very few to have is actual name on the movie poster), to show how popular he is I used one of the biggest modern director that is without a doubt an extremely popular one, Peter Jackson, and shown that Besson was not that far from him. 

Watched the opening again on an IMAX-sized 3D screen....More impressed with it this time round. IMAX 3D will be THE way to see it, make no mistake, the craft aspects are absolutely incredible, and I NEED that Clint Mansell score, but it still felt somewhat odd in terms of flow and let's not get started on that dialogue. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this was salvaged in post because you could even tell that bits were played around with randomly from that opening.

Heard elsewhere embargo doesn't lift till the evening of the 29th....No, not promising.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Well sure, but I never argued that Besson is more known that Peter Jackson, I don't see what is the problem you are trying to show there.

I said, Besson is one of the most popular director, (at least that what those polls showed me when I ranked all the director in them and the fact that is one of the very few to have is actual name on the movie poster), to show how popular he is I used one of the biggest modern director that is without a doubt an extremely popular one, Peter Jackson, and shown that Besson was not that far from him. 

My point is that those polls are flawed when trying to compare the two and say they're about equal. Besson has an artificially inflated boost do to the inclusion of France where he is disproportionally well known compared to most other countries. Goffe pointed this out before. Jackson's poll numbers do not include NZ, where he would be just as widely known as Besson in France. It's disingenuous to continue to use these numbers as a comparison of these two directors because of that fact.

3 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Heard elsewhere embargo doesn't lift till the evening of the 29th....No, not promising.

Since a lot of time getting burned using that metric, (MadMax Fury Road had a very late embargo lift) I try not to put too much weight on it, but when the embargo lift after the movie release in some main market, it is hard to not be pessimistic.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Since a lot of time getting burned using that metric, (MadMax Fury Road had a very late embargo lift) I try not to put too much weight on it, but when the embargo lift after the movie release in some main market, it is hard to not be pessimistic.

yeah, it's literally as the first UK screenings happen.

WB movies are a special case though.

6 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

My point is that those polls are flawed when trying to compare the two and say they're about equal. Besson has an artificially inflated boost do to the inclusion of France where he is disproportionally well known compared to most other countries. Goffe pointed this out before. Jackson's poll numbers do not include NZ, where he would be just as widely known as Besson in France. It's disingenuous to continue to use these numbers as a comparison of these two directors because of that fact.

But I never say about equal, I said Besson is not that far behind.

As for Sony poll not having a country were Jackson would be superstar like NZ, that is obviously true, that why I did put all the data by individual market and what they were and not just the average that would have made Besson look better than he is, it is the unfiltered raw data that I copy pasted, but that said France is a major 66 million people market vs a bit under 5 for New-Zealand and Australia is there, so I'm not sure how skewed the metric are.

It's disingenuous to continue to use these numbers as a comparison of these two directors because of that fact.

Why the japan/Germany/Italy/etc... number would not be a valid way to go ?

What better number would you propose ? (I would not hesitate to use better one)

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Fury Road embargo lifted the Monday of its week of release. That is still early, especially considering it's Warner Bros. It lifted right after its Cannes premiere. Lifting on a Wednesday as opposed to a Monday or even Tuesday is usually not a great sign. I think only movies that are trying to be kept totally secret have their embargoes lift on Wednesday (10 Cloverfield Lane, for example) and still end up doing great critically. Obviously, it could still do ok, though.

Edited by LateReg

4 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Take it back to 4chan. ScarJo looks great.

Major is meant to have the pyshquie of an athlete.

Why would you cast someone unathletic as The Major?? It's laughable look at her run down this hallway.

Edited by IronJimbo