grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So... this movie isn't screening for critics

A friend of mine said it wasn't screening for LA critics. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time. Maybe they wanted the screening to just be in NYC or something. I don't know if that's still the case or if they made it more wide spread though. 

Edited by Nova

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

A friend of mine said it wasn't screening for LA critics. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time. Maybe they wanted the screening to just be in NYC or something. I don't know if that's still the case or if they made it more wide spread though. 

The only confirmed screening currently is a fan screening on Wednesday the 29th, one day before release. If Critic screenings are at the same time, then we will most likely get reviews on Thursday at the earliest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The only confirmed screening currently is a fan screening on Wednesday the 29th, one day before release. If Critic screenings are at the same time, then we will most likely get reviews on Thursday at the earliest.

Okay then it was probably a widespread thing and my friend assumed it to just be LA critics. Of course things can change between now and then but yea this isn't screening for critics at the moment. 

53 minutes ago, grim22 said:

What it means is that the studio sees no advantage in having reviews out pre-release. For whatever reason.

It probably need more than that, the studio probably need to see a disadvantage in having reviews out pre-release, their is media relation cost in having a very late embargo or worst no pre-screening that make them use that card not too often. The media give the movie studio free coverage and publicity all year's long, in exchange they want a bit of access and exclusivity.

Again, foreign critics have and are seeing it early. The only thing really is embargo lifting on Tuesday night - 48 hours before US opening night shows.

As for US critics not getting screenings, as someone not from there i have to say i find the level of geographical elitism (from the critics themselves that is) hilarious, but that's just probably me. 

Edited by antovolk

6 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Again, foreign critics have and are seeing it early. The only thing really is embargo lifting on Tuesday night - 48 hours before US opening night shows.

As for US critics not getting screenings, as someone not from there i have to say i find the level of geographical elitism (from the critics themselves that is) hilarious, but that's just probably me. 

GITS has been marketed like crazy in North America. I don't consider it elitism when critics in North America are surprised that they're not getting a screener for what's supposed to be considered a blockbuster film. And I wouldn't consider it elitism if critics in other countries who didn't get a screener felt the same way. This isn't some indie or small scale film. There's a reason why it's not screening in North America. The same way Independence Day wasn't screened either. 

12 minutes ago, antovolk said:

How is it elitist?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Does it matter if the critic see it in advance if the embargo lift after the movie started for the general audience ?, in France for example you can buy ticket for around 14:00 eastern time Tuesday.

https://www.cinemasgaumontpathe.com/reservation/information_client.html?i=28320766&partenaire=allocine&e=&landingstep=0

What do you mean by elitism ?

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

GITS has been marketed like crazy in North America. I don't consider it elitism when critics in North America are surprised that they're not getting a screener for what's supposed to be considered a blockbuster film. And I wouldn't consider it elitism if critics in other countries who didn't get a screener felt the same way. This isn't some indie or small scale film. There's a reason why it's not screening in North America. The same way Independence Day wasn't screened either. 

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

How is it elitist?

I will rephrase and clarify, I understand why they didn't screen IDR and aren't screening this to North American critics, but I found the meltdowns from US critics on Twitter when the embargo lifted and the non US and UK reviews rolled in hilarious 

13 minutes ago, antovolk said:

It's a major movie made by and financed though a major US studio opening int eh US. in less than 4 days.   I don't see how geographical elitism plays int it.

I think @Boxofficerules may be on to something.  They might to avoid any new whitewashing backlash so close to opening.

Based on what I am reading online. It seems like this:

- It has screened for some foreign press already

- Junket press will see it sometime in the next week

- Embargo is Tuesday (releases in a few countries on Wednesday)

- US press screenings are Wednesday and Thursday

• Like 2

1 minute ago, antovolk said:

I will rephrase and clarify, I understand why they didn't screen IDR and aren't screening this to North American critics, but I found the meltdowns from US critics on Twitter when the embargo lifted and the non US and UK reviews rolled in hilarious 

Not as funny as the reactions would be by UK critics  not being able to screen the latest Bond or Harry Potter/Wizarding Pic.  :P

(would never happen though - they need those "best ever" pull quotes :lol:)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Based on what I am reading online. It seems like this:

- It has screened for some foreign press already

- Junket press will see it sometime in the next week

- Embargo is Tuesday (releases in a few countries on Wednesday)

- US press screenings are Wednesday and Thursday

Other country release date is a bit like domestic, they release a day before, the movie will have played for the general audience in some market (at least France, i just look for a ticket) before the embargo.

5 minutes ago, antovolk said:

but I found the meltdowns from US critics on Twitter when the embargo lifted and the non US and UK reviews rolled in hilarious 

Well it depend the level of it (I'm not on twitter), but it is normal no ? They often have to sign intense embargo contract, they give studio year's long free coverage for their product in a implicit deal that they will some access in exchange, they will be piss when a studio pull something like that.