grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Sorry, wb, anime isn't a genre. It's a style. I'll defend that to the death. 

Technically anime isn't even a style, it's just the Japanese word for animation.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

They actually addressed the so-called whitewashing very neatly in this movie. I can't see that working as a real complaint for this particular movie to be honest, it just made sense in the context of the movie.

Actually, I thought that was one of its worst aspects and something I felt was far more awkward and tone-deaf than almost anything else in it. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Telerian said:

Actually, I thought that was one of its worst aspects and something I felt was far more awkward and tone-deaf than almost anything else in it. 

Spoiler

Someone already explained far better than I could a couple of pages back how they explained her memories erased, her body and background and everything else without really making a big info dump out of it and it just really worked for me. I guess it didn't for you, oh well. 

I would say even more about it but there's no real point, whoever wants to be offended by it will stay offended no matter what. 

Edited by Arlborn

Not to jump into this again, but I saw someone explain it well that it's less an in-universe thing and more an out-of-universe thing where it just continues the problem of most asian-american actors not getting major roles rather then being entirely an in-universe issue.

• Like 1

I think I alluded to it in the weekend thread, but basically this is one of the few moments in the movie that carries any subtext, and unfortunately the subtext is that the filmmakers reveal themselves to be the Hanka Corporation. Their actions and intent are one and the same. I'm sure they didn't intend that, but it speaks volumes that this is what they ended up saying. There's a huge blind spot here, and it's very illuminating for the project in general. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I wonder how Blade Runner 2049 will do in comparison. Naked-Scarjo/Anime-inspired/PG-13 I would have thought had an advantage over Gosling/80's-nostalgia/R. I can't imagine Blade Runner 2049 looking better than this movie.

Well Runner has Deakins, so we should assume that it will be one of the best looking movie of the year, if not the best looking movie of the year.

It has Harrison Ford, even if he is a total non factor for a normal release when he replay a role (Solo, Indiana Jones, etc...) he can add a good appeal or at least giant visibility to a release.

It has from Executive producer Ridley Scott and Arrival director Denis Villeneuve that can help, for Sci-fi Scott name is really good.

From cinemacon reaction apparently it is visually stunning, and the most anticipated movie from cinemacon.

Most of all chance are the the reviews will be much better, it has a chance to do much better domestic.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well Runner has Deakins, so we should assume that it will be one of the best looking movie of the year, if not the best looking movie of the year.

It has Harrison Ford, even if he is a total non factor for a normal release when he replay a role (Solo, Indiana Jones, etc...) he can add a good appeal or at least giant visibility to a release.

It has from Executive producer Ridley Scott and Arrival director Denis Villeneuve that can help, for Sci-fi Scott name is really good.

From cinemacon reaction apparently it is visually stunning, and the most anticipated movie from cinemacon.

Most of all chance are the the reviews will be much better, it has a chance to do much better domestic.

Deakins and Vlleneuve are major draws for most people who frequent these forums. I could mention those names to my friends and they'd have no understanding. Heck, I could mention Christopher Nolan and they wouldn't understand. Elder Ford doesn't seem like such a big draw out of the context of Han Solo.

I'm excited about the cinemacon reactions though. I'm not in love with the original Blade Runner, but the talent behind this one is just so great. I'm betting the RT scores will be twice GitS at least, but I consider RT scores to be very low on the box-office influence scale.

6 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Deakins and Vlleneuve are major draws for most people who frequent these forums. I could mention those names to my friends and they'd have no understanding. Heck, I could mention Christopher Nolan and they wouldn't understand. Elder Ford doesn't seem like such a big draw out of the context of Han Solo.

I'm excited about the cinemacon reactions though. I'm not in love with the original Blade Runner, but the talent behind this one is just so great.

I didn't mention Deakins as a draw factor, more that the movie should look extremely good (every Deakins/Villeneuve release is a candidate for best cinematography of the year) and those imagery will be available to the marketing team.

Elder Ford could be a big draw has Jones too, he will not be a Dicaprio for Blade Runner, but him returning to the franchise could help it.

I'm betting the RT scores will be twice GitS at least, but I consider RT scores to be very low on the box-office influence scale.

Apparently the webtraffic for Gits reviews were really big (so awareness and interest was probably significantly higher than the box office result that seem to have been hurt by mediocre reception), for certain movie (adult audience) RT scores has probably a good influence on the box office scale, a certain type of movies are pretty much dead on arrival without good reviews, Allied for example had no chance.

It seem to have a strong correlation between reviews and box office performance (even first weekend) and a bigger one on legs (but obviously after first weekeend it is simply that word of mouth is correlated with reviews and it is what is mostly helping the box office)

BOX OFFICE PERFORMANCE BY METASCORE, 2006-2015
(FILMS OPENING IN 2,000+ THEATERS)

Metascore Range # of Films Avg. Opening 
Weekend
Avg. 2nd Weekend 
Decline
Avg. 
Multiplier
Avg. Total 
Gross
Films scoring 019 22 $13,961,514 ▼ 52.5% 2.6 $35,081,918
Films scoring 2039 301 $16,503,055 ▼ 50.2% 2.8 $47,785,166
all with bad reviews: 323 $16,329,947 ▼ 50.4% 2.8 $46,919,929
Films scoring 4050 294 $21,353,058 ▼ 49.5% 2.9 $62,658,866
Films scoring 5160 255 $26,890,484 ▼ 46.2% 3.1 $81,265,377
all with mixed reviews: 549 $23,925,086 ▼ 48.0% 3.0 $71,301,234
Films scoring 6170 163 $35,480,314 ▼ 44.2% 3.4 $112,446,672
Films scoring 7180 87 $37,112,105 ▼ 42.1% 3.8 $137,787,032
Films scoring 8190 29 $49,583,445 ▼ 38.8% 4.3 $197,836,138
Films scoring 91100 7 $59,076,012 ▼ 37.7% 4.1 $238,356,646
all with positive reviews: 286 $37,984,253 ▼ 42.8% 3.6

$131,895,188

Now correlation does not mean causation, maybe studios spend more on the marketing and are more passionate for the good movies, maybe higher the budget, higher the average reviews, etc... but I think that if Arrival would have had Gits reviews and vice versa, that both movies first weekend performance would have quite different.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Blade Runner 2 costars Academy Award Winner Jared Leto who also starred in a recent Academy Award Winning Motion Picture

Don't forget that

But they could only manage a non-Oscar winning cinematographer. 

• Like 6