baumer

The LEGO Movie (2014)

102 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Fantastic movie... well deserving of the A ratings it is getting here.  The ending was well done and emotional... for adults.

That brings up the dissenting view...

My 11 year old son should have been the target audience for this movie.  He has  a billion legos... plays with them every day.  When he is not playing with his legos it would not be unusual for him to be playing Lego video games... Star Wars, Batman... he has them all.

He has been looking forward to this movie since he started seeing previews with Frozen back in Nov/Dec.  He bought a Lego Movie set the week before the movie opened and played with it all week.  He actually had trouble sleeping the night before we saw it... he couldn't stop talking about it.

After the movie I asked him what he thought about it.  He said it was good.  Then he said he didn't like the humans in it.  Since the movie he moved on to other environments for his Lego play.  Last night when I asked him if his friends saw the movie all he said was that they also didn't like the human in it.

He doesn't seem to have any desire to see it again.  That's unusual because we typically see good animated films multiple times... MU, Croods, DM2, Frozen... we saw them all several times in the theater. 

He wanted to see an action movie with Lego characters instead of human characters.  I think he felt betrayed that after an hour of investing in the characters of the movie that at the end their success or failure really didn't matter.

Upon reflection I agree with him.

The last 15 minutes of the movie invalidated everything that happened before it.  Who cared that Emmet got glued into place... he had no free will anyway.  The whole story line of Emmet becoming the 'special' and battling Lord Business really becomes irreverent at the end of the movie.

The movie was so well done... including the end... that a lot of people will go see this.  However I don't think this is a movie that will get a ton of repeat viewings and 250 is what I feel is the max and I won't  be surprised if it tops out at around 200 million.

• Like 1

He wanted to see an action movie with Lego characters instead of human characters.  I think he felt betrayed that after an hour of investing in the characters of the movie that at the end their success or failure really didn't matter.

Upon reflection I agree with him.

The last 15 minutes of the movie invalidated everything that happened before it.  Who cared that Emmet got glued into place... he had no free will anyway.  The whole story line of Emmet becoming the 'special' and battling Lord Business really becomes irreverent at the end of the movie.

Their success or failure did matter though... I mean, the kid wasn't telekinetic, and Emmett managed to move of his own free will. The LEGO world and the real world were parallel dimensions, and honestly, if the kid didn't send Emmett back into the LEGO world, then his dad probably would've glued all the LEGOs together, because then he wouldn't have noticed Emmett battling Lord Business.

I mean, there's no way the kid could've placed Emmett in the ship with Lord Business with his dad watching and using the "Kragle." It's just a weird Toy-Story like reality where we don't have clear rules on how it works, but it's clear that the LEGO characters do have some form of free will, it just depends what "dimension" they're in.

• Like 1

However I don't think this is a movie that will get a ton of repeat viewings 

I'd say the complete opposite. There's so much detail and stuff going in the background, it's impossible to catch it all first time. I know I'm planning on seeing it multiple times (and I would be going tonight if it wasn't sold out) so I can see as much as I can.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

The movie was so well done... including the end... that a lot of people will go see this.  However I don't think this is a movie that will get a ton of repeat viewings and 250 is what I feel is the max and I won't  be surprised if it tops out at around 200 million.

The screening I went to had like one kid and the theater was like almost full. Kids might not go back for repeat viewings, I'll grant you that, but adults? Yeah-they might.

• Like 1

Make it 19!

HOLY FUCK! The Lego Movie might possibly been the greatest experience of my life.

Going in I expecting it to be great, but a gimmick maybe. I was wrong 100%. The film was just constantly surprising me and the humor is so natural and so fresh. It was understandable and funny to all ages. I took my 11 year old sister and I definitely laughed more then her, maybe even more then anyone in my theater.

On top of all this the reason this movie gets an A is because its more then humor and creative visuals its a great movie and a great satire. My eyes got extremely watery out of no where near the end.

A (95)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 5

Wowzers! This has got to be the most unique movie I've seen in a long time, if not ever. Who knew a movie could be so funny and yet have a great message? Oh and the scenery...just wow.

A #22

Let's just hope Lisa doesn't see it, and we might just keep the rating %100 A.  :D

I'd say the complete opposite. There's so much detail and stuff going in the background, it's impossible to catch it all first time. I know I'm planning on seeing it multiple times (and I would be going tonight if it wasn't sold out) so I can see as much as I can.

Btw I agree. The first thing I thought about after watching it was that I NEED to watch it again to catch all the details.

Edited by lolifofo
  • Like 2

Omg! Just got out of the movie now! I really loved this movie! It looked great on screen, the writing was funny but also was really meaningful and had great moments (which is really hard to capture in these films). The ending I didn't see coming, big surprise their (even though I know spoilers are allowed here, I still don't want to spoil it : P) Overall great movie, A- rating, 8.5/10. Def will get the DVD for it.

• Like 1

Simply fantastic, and overall a celebration of power of creative imagination.

In all honesty it's hard to find many faults here.  It simply oozes creativity, and almost all of it works.  One of those rare films that throws everything at the wall, and 99% of it sticks.

Special mention has to go to the ending.  Not only does it re-inforce the film's basic mantra, but it also provides an emotional core that ties it all together.  It's hard to imagine anyone not having fun with this.

A blast to watch, creative film-making at its best.
  • Like 3

Posted Image

On a random note, after seeing the movie, I was surprised this picture was released to the public and used as the picture on a lot of sites... seeing it is the final shot of the film and spoils Lord Business being with them at the end and Vistruvuis's death

• Like 2