Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

right... i shouldnt have said expensive... what i was trying to counter was the statement that animation movies are cheap... :)

Animation movies CAN be cheap. Just look at The Nut Job and compare it to Frozen.

However, you have to spend money to make money. Pixar might make more than average expensive animated movies, but people love their movies because they have come to expect great animation and great scripts. Pixar is rewarded with very successful movies at the boxoffice.

The real success for Animation this year is Despicable Me 2. 970m WW off a 76m budget. It's probably the biggest profit earner of the year, bigger than Frozen ;)

Sure it had a lower budget, but DM2 was always expected to be a big hit.

Frozen is one of the biggest unexpected success stories, and people love talking about surprise hits.

Also don't think Frozen won't make Disney money. It will be making money for them for years with the merchandising sales and especially in the Disney Parks. Anna and Elsa are going to be added to the Disney Princess lineup, which makes billions each year. :bop:

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

Had Frozen grossed 300m dom/750m ww I think the great performance would have gotten Disney to announce Frozen 2.

But with an absurd 400m+ dom/1b+ww, 'tarnishing the original' angle comes into play and we may not have Frozen 2. Weird, innit?

• Like 1

The real success for Animation this year is Despicable Me 2. 970m WW off a 76m budget. It's probably the biggest profit earner of the year, bigger than Frozen ;)

Yep french animators are cheap and work for a penny.

Animation movies CAN be cheap. Just look at The Nut Job and compare it to Frozen.

However, you have to spend money to make money. Pixar might make more than average expensive animated movies, but people love their movies because they have come to expect great animation and great scripts. Pixar is rewarded with very successful movies at the boxoffice.

hm... i have to confess i am not completely sure what we are arguing about :)

WDAS cg movies are as expensive as any large blockbuster movie (and pixars works are even more expensive than most)... so saying that such animated movies are cheap and riskless cashgrabs is just not right imo (i mean look at tangled which cost 260M and is still considered a success even though it made only 200M DOM). All of this was just a response to this

...Frozen is an animation family movie(which are relatively safe bets) expected to make money, it just caught on more than studios expected.

Edited by chuck0

Had Frozen grossed 300m dom/750m ww I think the great performance would have gotten Disney to announce Frozen 2.

But with an absurd 400m+ dom/1b+ww, 'tarnishing the original' angle comes into play and we may not have Frozen 2. Weird, innit?

You can be sure John Lasseter is under heavy pressure to do a Frozen sequel. We all know that Disney shareholders usually get what they want.

If they do a sequel, I hope they take the time to make sure they have a great story before going ahead with it. I don't want a lame cash in. :ph34r:

• Like 1

hm... i have to confess i am not completely sure what we are arguing about :)

WDAS cg movies are as expensive as any large blockbuster movie (and pixars works are even more expensive than most)... so saying that such animated movies are cheap and riskless cachgrabs is just not right imo (i mean look at tangled which cost 260M and is still considered a success even though it made only 200M DOM). All of this was just a response to this

If you are saying WDAS and Pixar aren't cheap, we agree. ;)

Tangled cost that much because they pretty much scrapped their first attempt at making the movie which pushed the budget up. But WDAS probably learned a lot after making that movie which helped them when it came time to make Wreck It Ralph and Frozen. Also Rapunzel is a Disney Princess so she is part of the brand that makes Disney billions each year.

Disney is a very impressive company, they are becoming such a monster in the entertainment industry.

Their movies, Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, I mean it s ridiculous.

And they were already a monster in said industry. Getting Pixar was vital for the time. Marvel and Star Wars was just the icing they needed to cover their already huge cake with.

Also, fuck yes for The Lego Movie. I want to see this leg it out to $300 million. It needs a 4.34 multi from OW to get there. With the word of mouth it has been getting I'd say that would be no problem for a summer or holiday release, but the cold weekdays of February will slow it down.

At the very least $250 million is locked. 

• Like 1

And they were already a monster in said industry. Getting Pixar was vital for the time.

The best thing about Disney buying Pixar was that we got John Lasseter in charge of Disney.

I imagine Pixar was a big reason in the jump in quality in Disney recent CGI hits like Tangled, WIR, and Frozen. Disney even thanks Pixar in the credits of those three movies.

• Like 1

The best thing about Disney buying Pixar was that we got John Lasseter in charge of Disney.

I imagine Pixar was a big reason in the jump in quality in Disney recent CGI hits like Tangled, WIR, and Frozen. Disney even thanks Pixar in the credits of those three movies.

I agree with all of this.

I'd say the only negative of Disney buying Pixar was Lasseter's focus had to be split between the two with the majority going towards WDA (which honestly needed it the most at the time by far) which I am certain has something to do with Pixar's "decline" so to speak.

EDIT - Now that WDA seems to be running smoothly, I think Lasseter should focus more on Pixar than anything. WDA will be fine with the talent involved with Lasseter just chiming in here and there, while he can go back home to Pixar to help them out. Say what you want but the man knows how to manage an animation company.

Edited by Mango

Is Frozen the first "Disney" movie animated or not that actually made good money? I think Tron Legacy was somewhat of a hit. Anything else? I'm not tallking about movies that were produced by their acquisitions i.e. (Marvel, Pixar).

Is Frozen the first "Disney" movie animated or not that actually made good money? I think Tron Legacy was somewhat of a hit. Anything else? I'm not tallking about movies that were produced by their acquisitions i.e. (Marvel, Pixar).

Since when? There are the three (or four) Pirates, Lion King, Narnia, Alice in Wonderland...

Edited by Telemachos

I agree with all of this. I'd say the only negative of Disney buying Pixar was Lasseter's focus had to be split between the two with the majority going towards WDA (which honestly needed it the most at the time by far) which I am certain has something to do with Pixar's "decline" so to speak. EDIT - Now that WDA seems to be running smoothly, I think Lasseter should focus more on Pixar than anything. WDA will be fine with the talent involved with Lasseter just chiming in here and there, while he can go back home to Pixar to help them out. Say what you want but the man knows how to manage an animation company.

I think he also had a creative input in the theme parks for awhile too
  • Like 1

Since when? There are the three (or four) Pirates, Lion King, Narnia, Alice in Wonderland...

Okay. yeah. Pirates and Alice in Wonderland. I didn't know Narnia was Disney. And I guess you're talking about the re-release of Lion King. 

I guess Pirates and Alice is enough. 

Box office rule discussion number one : never bring up Titanic or Avatar.For your own sake, those two movies are in their own categories by themselves BO wise, Titanic especially which is probably the biggest hit of all time in its initial run.

Star Wars and Gone With the Wind are bigger. Edited by The Panda