Impact

Best Actor 2014 predictions!

steve carrell - foxcatcher

benedict cumberbatch - the imitation game

michael keaton - birdman

david oyelowo - selma

christoph waltz - big eyes

mayb jack o'connell but idk. look through history and the academy don't seem to like young leading men unless they're REALLY undeniable.

I like that most of the guys who seem to be the major contenders this year aren't even previous nominees. Waltz and Phoenix are the only exceptions, and the former clearly isn't winning another one so soon. Keaton or Carell taking it home would be pretty amazing.

Michael Keaton- BirdmanWhoever goes lead- FoxcatcherBenedict Cumberbatch- The Imitation GameDavid Oyelowo- SelmaTimothy Spall- Mr. TurnerTimothy Spall is in a shaky position, however. I have him ahead of Phoenix only because of the rumours surrounding the tone of Inherent Vice. I'll probably soon change my mind. Jack O'Connell can get a newcomer nod only if Unbroken becomes the frontrunner. The lack of reviews for Get On Up had me worried, but they're finally out and they seem good at least for the lead (more mixed on the film). So Chadwick Boseman is also a possibility.

Would love to see Timothy Spall nominated. As for Selma... That movie is getting a ridiculous amount of attention just because of its synopsis. I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. There's a bigger chance it sucks than it being actually Oscar worthy.

why?

The director has had two movies, both barely getting any attention (Positive rating on RT, yes, but with 40 votes and 15 votes, respectively, you can hardly claim it was positive when it didn't even hit at least 100 votes). Screenwriter is the director and a guy who is writing a script for the first time. Another thing would be mediocre cast.

The only thing it has going for it is the producers, but then again, everyone produces bad movies. And sometimes they produce more bad movies than good movies. A movie that was supposed to be directed by Lee Daniels, who also directed The Butler. I see the movie ending up just like The Butler did, to be honest.

But, everyone with their opinion. We'll have to see and wait. I just don't see what's so promising about that movie other than the fact that it is about Martin Luther King.

Edited by ChD

Tom Wilkinson and Tim Roth would like a word with you. And David Oyelowo is a talented rising star.Having said that, if the reviews keep being so good, I'd consider replacing Oyelowo with Boseman.

Wilkinson I agree with. Roth... Well, he was and isn't.