JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Excellent opening for TH1!But I am not convinced about 50m yet.In 2007, Enchanted got 4.1x multiplier from Dec 27-30 weekend. The Golden Compass got 3.9x.Let's say The Hobbit gets 4x. So it will require about 11m for Dec 27-30 weekend to hit 50m mark.I am expecting 10-11m 4-day, and hence 45-50m finish.If it can get 11.5m+, 50m would become very likely.

Excellent opening for TH1!But I am not convinced about 50m yet.In 2007, Enchanted got 4.1x multiplier from Dec 27-30 weekend. The Golden Compass got 3.9x.Let's say The Hobbit gets 4x. So it will require about 11m for Dec 27-30 weekend to hit 50m mark.I am expecting 10-11m 4-day, and hence 45-50m finish.If it can get 11.5m+, 50m would become very likely.

Fake, you expecting the hobbit to crash and burn then ? 10m to 11m weekend after a 5.9m OD would extremely to say the least underwelming. The Avengers managed 13m in april without the aid of holidays (the only holiday that weekend was on it's wednesday opening). The Hobbit enjoys full school holidays and one of the most lucrative times of the year. Even the extremely frontloaded Harry Potter which opened on the wednesday with 7m still managed 18m over the following 4 days for the weekend. 13m for me is bottom end here with 15m, 16m and even 17m if it finds some support are within range (I don't see the opening weekend record falling here.) under 11m would be to be blunt embarrasing for this film given it's opening day alone.

So today should be around $4 if my site is anything to go by. 2D down 10%, 3D down 35%. Overall down 30%.I expect tomorrow to by up by about 5% ($4.2m). Saturday should go up by about 10% ($4.7m), sunday should drop by about 20%.. not really sure about that one. Monday will drop more. Then I think Tuesday might be able to hit $5m. Its going to be above 30 degrees everywhere except melbourne which should drive people to the cinemas, plus its a public holiday and its a tuesday.

Edited by Ball Lightning

4M thursday can ensure 15M OW(without OD)? :o

At the end some good news for TH. Very few great news, but it still comforts to see it seems to do what I had thought before release somewhere. But it is better to wait and see if the results are so good...

At the end some good news for TH. Very few great news, but it still comforts to see it seems to do what I had thought before release somewhere. But it is better to wait and see if the results are so good...

Russia, Germany, Australia have had great results so far. UK and France are in a status of wait and see approach. At this point, I'll be satisfied with 1B WW.

Fake, you expecting the hobbit to crash and burn then ? 10m to 11m weekend after a 5.9m OD would extremely to say the least underwelming. The Avengers managed 13m in april without the aid of holidays (the only holiday that weekend was on it's wednesday opening). The Hobbit enjoys full school holidays and one of the most lucrative times of the year. Even the extremely frontloaded Harry Potter which opened on the wednesday with 7m still managed 18m over the following 4 days for the weekend. 13m for me is bottom end here with 15m, 16m and even 17m if it finds some support are within range (I don't see the opening weekend record falling here.) under 11m would be to be blunt embarrasing for this film given it's opening day alone.

I have no idea about daily drops in Australia.... I was just making a guess. :)But if it does make 15m+ from 4-day weekend, it won't be able to sustain 4x multiplier.

Just got back from seeing in IMAX 3D 48 fps, was a packed cinema. For those who get the chance I do recommend seeing in it 3D 48 fps and the image quality is crystal clear and easy on the eyes. Definitely an improvement over 24 fps just takes a little while to get use to.

Edited by eXtacy

Russia, Germany, Australia have had great results so far. UK and France are in a status of wait and see approach. At this point, I'll be satisfied with 1B WW.

I have a big problem that is I was very ambitious with this movie ;). I am still asuming that my predictions were very wrong and I have to change my mind and it takes some time.Of course, Russia, Germany and Australia are headed to make very good numbers and we have to wait to see where they can land. I had predicted 60 for Russia, over 90 for Germany and 60-65 for Australia. It seems all of them will be, in the best case, a 15% lower than those numbers.Anyway, in this point I have already changed my ambitions for this movie, much more modests: over 300 DOM, 1 billion WW (if it could be possible over Alice in Wonderland, although it will be hard). With that, LOTR would still have every movie over 300 DOM, and 2 1 billion WW movies, on track of having 4. Quite good accomplishments, in my opinion.

Supposedly, it hasn't opened in Poland yet either. How big is the market? What can we expect? $15m?Just checked Avengers. It made just over $3m there. Such small market for that many people? Or did Avengers just badly there?Pirates 4 did $10m. That's more like it.

Edited by Elessar

Supposedly, it hasn't opened in Poland yet either. How big is the market? What can we expect? $15m?Just checked Avengers. It made just over $3m there. Such small market for that many people? Or did Avengers just badly there?

That would be nearly double than ROTK :blink:

Well, Pirates 4 did $10m in Poland. I just threw out a number, without checking what other movies did. I might not be that far off.

I thought the same from Japan. POTC1 did 59, POTC4 did 108, so LOTR could increase too. Look what has happened there. I know they are different situations but I have learned with this that to extrapolate can be very dangerous ;) Edited by peludo