AniNate

Sausage Party | Rogen/Goldberg Animation | August 12, 2016 | Support the Sausage Party Artists!

It's definitely possible and humane to do a good animated movie on a small budget, but I don't understand why people who aren't Hollywood accountants get so hung up on it. If you make a terrific movie on a small budget, great. If you make a terrific movie on a gigantic budget, also great

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I think it's funny how the animated movies has so many advantages over live action, no need for location shooting, making costumes, no stunt work, perfect control of the environments, and actors don't even need to show up for work dressed well.

Costs just come down to how GOOD you want your movie to look.

I was excited at Sausage Party for being rated R and also the fact that it was low budget CG animated movie getting a wide release. It looked pretty good with that 30m budget.

As long as costs are super high, studios will never take chances on making movies that aren't safe family friendly.

Spending less on kids movies will somehow encourage studios to spend more on adult movies? I don't know how you draw that conclusion 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Ugh. Animators weren't paid for OT and some were threatened with termination if they weren't willing to work free extra hours.

It always sucks when companies don't treat employees decently. Unfortunately this happens all too often in animation and VFX (who aren't unionized). At least Annapurna sounds like they stepped up to do the right thing.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/80148/sausage-partys-animators-were-treated-like-shit

VFX artists are usually treated like shit and then the movie comes out and fans talk shit about the CGI

Endless cycle of garbage

• Like 9

I firmly believe (or sincerely hope) Seth Rogen and Megan Ellison will do something about this. And if they give a sequel a release date any time in the next few years, I imagine that production process will be watched much more intensely. 

In hindsight it's not surprising something like this happened - there's no precedent for a production like Sausage Party, and Vernon was probably used to getting whatever he wanted tested for a film at Dreamworks. Kinda amplifies the 'I can't believe this movie was made' factor further. 

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

I firmly believe (or sincerely hope) Seth Rogen and Megan Ellison will do something about this. And if they give a sequel a release date any time in the next few years, I imagine that production process will be watched much more intensely. 

In hindsight it's not surprising something like this happened - there's no precedent for a production like Sausage Party, and Vernon was probably used to getting whatever he wanted tested for a film at Dreamworks. Kinda amplifies the 'I can't believe this movie was made' factor further. 

Conrad Vernon started in the animation industry with Ralph Bakshi's Cool World, which gave him just a taste of what it's like to make whatever you want in animation. Greg Tiernan also worked on that movie as a 2-D animator.

IDK based on what I've read it sounds like it was more Tiernan's fault of the two (although obviously both should be held accountable). Vernon has at least done a movie before and I'd have to imagine Rogen would trust him more since they've worked together before. Plus all the stories mention Nitrogen's management which Tiernan is in charge of.

That said, if this hits it big, like Variety or Hollywood Reporter, willing to be we'll hear something from Rogen and Ellison within a few days because I doubt they're okay with this at all

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I mean there is too much blank spacing in the credits nowadays. Just put up a wall of text, listing like 50 names on the screen at a time and they would be able to list everyone.

Like Miyazaki did on Ponyo, with the credits just being a list of everyone who worked on the movie in alphabetical order (or local equivalent)?

• Like 1

Purportedly, Variety is working on a story and seeking comment from animators involved or somesuch.

It probably won't affect the box office, which unfortunately means a degree of validation for the behavior of Tiernan and Vernon. Even with a bit of bad press, making a ton of money on a low budget is still making a ton of money. The lesson isn't going to be "don't do it again" but rather "don't get caught doing it again."

(It's worth noting that shady treatment and payment of animators happens at all levels of the industry. Pixar, DWA, Disney and some others were part of that salary fixing collusion or something. It's arguable that if the animators were paid fairly for their work, the budgets would be considerably higher.)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

VFX artists are usually treated like shit and then the movie comes out and fans talk shit about the CGI

Endless cycle of garbage

I still dont understand why members here bitch about CGI so much. Characters, plot, writing, acting, yet we go on and on about computer graphics. A movie will get a trailer a year out and the first comments will be "the CGI is terrible! This will suck!"

I remember people here bitching when Fast 6 was released because the helicopter at the beginning looked "too fake"...

Get the hell over it. When I see that, you sound spoiled and entitled.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DamienRoc said:

(It's worth noting that shady treatment and payment of animators happens at all levels of the industry. Pixar, DWA, Disney and some others were part of that salary fixing collusion or something. It's arguable that if the animators were paid fairly for their work, the budgets would be considerably higher.)

Which is why it's a shame the animation guild isn't very strong (writers don't get the benefits of WGA bargaining rights either). And, of course, the VFX industry is woefully in need of better guaranteed working conditions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

I still dont understand why members here bitch about CGI so much. Characters, plot, writing, acting, yet we go on and on about computer graphics. A movie will get a trailer a year out and the first comments will be "the CGI is terrible! This will suck!"

I remember people here bitching when Fast 6 was released because the helicopter at the beginning looked "too fake"...

Get the hell over it. When I see that, you sound spoiled and entitled.

Those people will hate their favorite movies in the next 20 years from now. 

11 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Which is why it's a shame the animation guild isn't very strong (writers don't get the benefits of WGA bargaining rights either). And, of course, the VFX industry is woefully in need of better guaranteed working conditions. 

Are editors treated fairly. 

12 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Yeah. And even at the deplorable way a lot of people are treated in the movie industry, it still costs a ton of money to make a tentpole and even then there's no guarantee you're going to see a profit.

(To say nothing of the double standard that some films obviously spent too much when they don't make money while others should have spent more, because people would reward quality and it would then make money.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Are editors treated fairly. 

Union shows, absolutely. Non-Union, it's a crapshoot, oftentimes you don't get horribly dicked but there are small ways companies will consistently try to avoid compensating you: giving you a flat rate per day so you don't get paid for OT (even if you have to get a cut done), only paying a flat day if you have to work a sixth or seventh day in a week, or (the opposite) giving you a furlough day unexpectedly but not paying you for it, paying a much-lower rate simply because they're editing on "cheaper" software.... and these are things the nicer companies do. 

• Like 5