Films

Weekend estimates | Veronica mars- 2M (down 39% on Sat), 300 2-19.1M,LEGO (7.71M), non-stop (10.6M)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like 302 made its budget back and then some already. Unexpectedly good performance for the movie which almost everyone was sure would tank horribly. May go up to 400M WW due to a lack of China release. 

The biggest issue with Video Game films failing is they stray to far away from the source Material.  "Super Mario Bros" is the most iconic game of all time but the movie bomb cause they had Mario and Luigi in some futuristic world that looked nothing like the game.  "Street Fighter" failed cause they made the main character Van Damme when in the game it's Ken and Ryu.  "Tomb Rider" did well mainly cause it stay true to the source and Angie is a draw.  The 1st "Mortal Combat" did well also cause it stayed true to the source.  A Lord of the Rings/Hobbitt esque "Legend of Zelda" film could be a success to me.  There are plenty of rich stories in the Video Game World it's just Hollywood has a terrible habit of changing the source material so bad that gamers don't care for the movies.  "Need for Speed" was too busy trying to another "Fast and Furious".  I think the "Resident Evil" films have worked cause it brought in the fanbase of the games and the general audience too.  

Need For Speed's source material is too broad to misinterpret, it just doesn't look like a good movie.

Yeah, even if they wanted to go the F&F route (which wasn't a bad strategy to begin with), they failed to understand that those movies became huge only when they started becoming character-centric and started focusing on themes like family and redemption. Instead, NFS tried to emulate the earlier weaksauce F&F movies that didn't have much too them beyond fast and flashy cars, hence was bound to fail. 

Looks like 302 made its budget back and then some already. Unexpectedly good performance for the movie which almost everyone was sure would tank horribly. May go up to 400M WW due to a lack of China release. 

I wonder when it will hit 300m WW? That should be good for a few headlines when it happens. ;)

Say it out loud. Three Hundred... TWO.

I'd rather call it like my class mate does: 300: ascension of something.

(Rise translates into ascension in Romanian, hence the replacement)

Edited by ChD

18 pages only for a weekend thread, will we ever come back to the days of the 100+ weekend threads

Just wait for Captain America... or Noah, if it manages to surprise. Or Divergent, next weekend, when it will flop.

Edited by ChD

Yeah, even if they wanted to go the F&F route (which wasn't a bad strategy to begin with), they failed to understand that those movies became huge only when they started becoming character-centric and started focusing on themes like family and redemption. Instead, NFS tried to emulate the earlier weaksauce F&F movies that didn't have much too them beyond fast and flashy cars, hence was bound to fail. 

NFS was literally trying to make itself "The New" Fast and Furious or at the very least try to get some cash from that market/genre that F&F created.  Based on Overseas #'s Disney may have dodged a bullet so I won't be shocked if they greenlight a sequel. Also F&F was huge from the beginning, it only fell off cause Paul and Vin left the series and they hoped just "Girls and Cars" would be enough to make Tokyo Drift a hit and they were obviously wrong thus the future sequels featured all the returning cast.  Look NFS is a popular video game series so I get the move but F&F clearly owns the car market per say.  Again that overseas # isn't that bad but that domestic number is beyond horrible. 

The OS isn't all great here. The movie is basically getting saved by China.

LOL, that's going to be the new slogan instead of "Made in China" it's "SAVED BY CHINA", how many blockbusters will China save this year, lol. 

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

LOL, that's going to be the new slogan instead of "Made in China it's "SAVED BY CHINA", how many blockbusters will China save this year, lol. 

Just watch TF4 making 200M there.

NFS was literally trying to make itself "The New" Fast and Furious or at the very least try to get some cash from that market/genre that F&F created.  Based on Overseas #'s Disney may have dodged a bullet so I won't be shocked if they greenlight a sequel. Also F&F was huge from the beginning, it only fell off cause Paul and Vin left the series and they hoped just "Girls and Cars" would be enough to make Tokyo Drift a hit and they were obviously wrong thus the future sequels featured all the returning cast.  Look NFS is a popular video game series so I get the move but F&F clearly owns the car market per say.  Again that overseas # isn't that bad but that domestic number is beyond horrible. 

You mean Dreamworks, Disney doesn't choose whether a sequel gets made or not.

And really, with that domestic number...no, I don't see a sequel.  There's no real fanbase this film is building here.