Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Yes there are. To Kill A Mockingbird and 12 Angry Men for starters.

I think Futurist's statement meant there are classics but we can still tell the era in which they were produced hence the "no timeless classics". Every movie is a product of an era at every degree, aesthetically, technically, morally, conceptually, socio-culturally and so on...

The thing is classics got a powerful echo and can resonate with today's audience hence why we say it's "timeless" but in reality time has printed them.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

I think Futurist's statement meant there are classics but we can still tell the era in which they were produced hence the "no timeless". Every movie is a product of an era at every degree.

Exactly.

Thank you for pointing that out for everyone.

:)

I mean you could make  a very long list of commentaries that tells you that Wizard of Oz was not shot in 2014.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Take out the LOTR example and throw in Star Wars, same situation only Star Wars built a thriving fanbase nearly immediately and kept its cultural resonance.I'm not saying Avatar hasn't made an impact but it's not nearly as resonant as a 700m film should be. It was a heavily successful film, and the second will still make a killing, but id say at bare minimum a 40%+ drop is inevitable domestic wise (I'm personally thinking around 450m) and a drop is definitely due worldwide wise.Star Wars had a bigger cultural influence than avatar (much, much bigger, it isn't comparable which was more impactful) and Empire still had a 50% drop from the first. Without being as ingrained in the current culture as Star Wars was it just points to less sequel anticipation and a large drop-off (plus 3D will not be nearly as effective this time around). It's crazy to think it won't.

Your statment here Panda is so off the mark that I hope someone reposts it 40% when its the biggest

seller on HV by far and without 3D.. The most talked about event movie sequel ever thats has at least

2 more yrs to go.

You got to be kidding. Definitly disagree with you there