Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The thing is, JC is fully aware of what the general feeling is about the first movie. He's heard all the Dances with Smurfs jokes, he knows that he'll have to win some of the audience all over again with the sequels, and I'm sure he's got something up his sleeve.

• Like 1

The thing is, JC is fully aware of what the general feeling is about the first movie. He's heard all the Dances with Smurfs jokes, he knows that he'll have to win some of the audience all over again with the sequels, and I'm sure he's got something up his sleeve.

If by some of the audiences you mean those typical no-name "movie critics" geeks who trashed his works since 1997 as if he rubbed them in the wrong way, I dont think Cameron ever gave a shit and will ever give a shit about how those people feel. They only represent a tiny group of people, while the public have already shown their great love for his movies.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

If by some of the audiences you mean those typical no-name "movie critics" geeks who trashed his works since 1997 as if he rubbed them in the wrong way, I dont think Cameron ever gave a shit and will ever give a shit about how those people feel. They only represent a tiny group of people, while the public have already shown their great love for his movies.

Let's be honest; there does seem to be a prevailing sense that the film's success was a product of its time. It's not exactly penetrating pop culture the way The Dark Knight and Avengers are (You really don't see many Avatar gifs or memes these days, do you?). All things being equal I can understand people expecting the sequels to decrease significantly from the haul of the first movie. JC's knack for knowing his audience is why I don't think that will be the case, at least to the extent some people think.

Edited by tribefan695

It's not exactly penetrating pop culture the way The Dark Knight and Avengers are (You really don't see many Avatar gifs or memes these days, do you?).

LOL this is the most stupid argument ever :blink: Those meme are so bad and so forced, worst memes ever, and since when the impact on pop culture determines the quality of a movie? I don´t see any godfather, Shawshank Redemption etc. memes anywhere. This pop culture arguement is one of the last clutch at straws among the naysayers. 

After nearly 5 years everyone is still talking about avatar and you cant make a bo thread without someone mentioning avatar (good or bad). The avatar run and movie itself still bother the haters, they sill cant get over it. The fanboys still rave about this movie. It´s like those 5 years never happened, and yet we are still coming up with same stupid arguments. After reading all the movie and bo threads in the last 5 years, i can say without a doubt, avatar is the most discussed movie among moviegoers no matter in a good or bad way.

• Like 1

Let's be honest; there does seem to be a prevailing sense that the film's success was a product of its time. It's not exactly penetrating pop culture the way The Dark Knight and Avengers are (You really don't see many Avatar gifs or memes these days, do you?). All things being equal I can understand people expecting the sequels to decrease significantly from the haul of the first movie. JC's knack for knowing his audience is why I don't think that will be the case, at least to the extent some people think.

Well, if by that method, we will come to the odd conclusion that a movie about a mother panda and her sneezing bay, or Yao Ming's weird laughing face would make great business.

Cameron never needed and never will need to hear the words from those so called internet "movie critics". I think these days we all spend much time on the internet and that sometimes makes us mistake internet with real life. Avatar is not as popular as TDK and TA on the internet and that's because Avatar has reached a lot of audience (that other blockbusters rarely do) that dont have a habit of making gifs or memes on the internet. And beleive me studios would LOVE more than anything to have those kind of audience being interested in their movies because winning those type of audience gives your the rare boxoffie success you dont really get from internet geeks posting memes.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

Look at Halloween costumes do you see people dressed as navi anywhere or toys or quotes pretty much anything else avatar while huge does not seem to have made the cultural impact of a dark knight Star Wars avengers or even titanic. People ran to avatar for the effects they were breathtaking the story and characters were solid but nothing memorable or even unique

• Like 1

Well, if by that method, we will come to the odd conclusion that a movie about a mother panda and her sneezing bay, or Yao Ming's weird laughing face would make great business. Cameron never needed and never will need to hear the words from those so called internet "movie critics". I think these days we all spend much time on the internet and that sometimes makes us mistake internet with real life. Avatar is not as popular as TDK and TA on the internet and that's because Avatar has reached a lot of audience (that other blockbusters rarely do) that dont have a habit of making gifs or memes on the internet. And beleive me studios would LOVE more than anything to have those kind of audience being interested in their movies because winning the internet geeks is one thing, but winning those type of audience is another and if you manage that, you can be sure you've done something really unique.

But it hasn't won those audiences and the insane 8 years between movies can only hurt it. People regular people don't talk about avatar anymore it hasn't stuck
  • Like 1

But it hasn't won those audiences and the insane 8 years between movies can only hurt it. People regular people don't talk about avatar anymore it hasn't stuck

So Avatar didn't win people the internet, and neither did it win those off the internet? Gee I wonder where that 2.7 billion and 10x multiplier came from cause it seemed Avatar hasn't won anyone. :lol:

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

So Avatar didn't win people the internet, and neither did it win those off the internet? Gee I wonder where that 2.7 billion and 10x multiplier came from cause it seemed Avatar hasn't won anyone. :lol:

How many will return how many even remember avatar. Avatar was great at the time it was unique but now that 3d is no longer the unique and breathtaking visuals almost the norm how many will come back to a rather generic ( plot wise) piece of sci if especially since Star Wars is returning
  • Like 1

How many will return how many even remember avatar. Avatar was great at the time it was unique but now that 3d is no longer the unique and breathtaking visuals almost the norm how many will come back to a rather generic ( plot wise) piece of sci if especially since Star Wars is returning

I would be careful about having contrarian opinions in this thread. Superman001 may bite. Lol
  • Like 1

I know right.. IF you notice even the great Box office predictors are saying this could be the first film to go for  900M- bill domestic all we need is a 140-170M OW and typical James Cameron muliplier... Exciting times. I agree lowest will be 550-630M domestic

The highend... Oh my -740-1BIL.. Are we witnessing another magic moment.

Im going on the highend for the Juggernaut 2016 with 850M domestic, 2.8B OS--3.6B WW

Who is saying 900M? Do you have links for these predictions? 170M in December? Should be lucky to do 130M+ 

• Like 1

My predicts are 840M Domestic,.. OW 155,  OS 2.8B.. 

Worldwide an Astounding 3.6B WW... Man I hope we can go way beyond my domestic number and OS number though. I mean look how small Avatar showings were in comparison to Avengers.. That is what is scary.. Im sure Fox is going to have Avatar 2 in 4000+ TC domestic and , OS it will be  a launch that would make any 2 LOTRS  salvate.

Folks keep forgettign Avatar I was in 2000+ and expanded to 2500-3000 + screens domestic and made 760M!! LOL.

3800-4000+TCs for Avatar 2 domestic and a James Cameron multiplier of 7-9X

== Holy shit!!

You have screens and theaters confused. 3000 theaters would be 6000+ screens. If you mean 2000 theaters Avatar started with 3400+ theaters and by its fifth week lost 200 theaters. Unless you know the screen counts not the theater counts Avatar never had the expansion like you are saying it had.

Look at Halloween costumes do you see people dressed as navi anywhere or toys or quotes pretty much anything else avatar while huge does not seem to have made the cultural impact of a dark knight Star Wars avengers or even titanic. People ran to avatar for the effects they were breathtaking the story and characters were solid but nothing memorable or even unique

Yup how could I forget we all track box office based on the popularity of Halloween costumes. So right you are. 

LOL this is the most stupid argument ever :blink: Those meme are so bad and so forced, worst memes ever, and since when the impact on pop culture determines the quality of a movie? I don´t see any godfather, Shawshank Redemption etc. memes anywhere. This pop culture arguement is one of the last clutch at straws among the naysayers.

The Godfather probably isn't the best counterexample to use, given the box office performance of its sequels.

Yes, keeping a stake in pop culture is how you maintain hype. Arguments and comparisons to the movie aside, the movie's visuals and characters haven't really done that. But my point was that Cameron is likely well aware of this, and it will be a moot point once the trailer for the first sequel hits.

The Godfather probably isn't the best counterexample to use, given the box office performance of its sequels.

Yes, keeping a stake in pop culture is how you maintain hype. Arguments and comparisons to the movie aside, the movie's visuals and characters haven't really done that. But my point was that Cameron is likely well aware of this, and it will be a moot point once the trailer for the first sequel hits.

When ever i talk about the current political situtation worldwide with some of my friends they came up with the quote from avatar "This is how it's done. When people are sitting on shit that you want, you make them your enemy. Then you justify taking it."

Nevertheless, the pop culture argument is one of the last clutch at straws among the haters. And trust me, all the people who say this movie will be forgotten until the release, are the same people who doesnt have enough balls to show up when they are proven wrong. Suddenly they disappear, and only came up, when they have enough backup from other haters. Always the same.

• Like 1

I wish I knew where to find the quote, but I remember Cameron saying himself after the first film released that he didn't expect the hype to carry to the sequels.

I also remember this quote, but he meant that in a positiv way.

• Like 1

Have we had any hints of the story? Like, is it humans attacking again, a war with another tribe and/or planet, or something else?

I feel like I'd be more excited for this if it were just a single sequel. The prospect of another three films in a row weighs heavily.