Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Oh, a little bit further down the thread, the guy goes into more detail about Cameron's payday:

Yes! Sorry to elaborate ... then lecturer said both Fox and Cameron weren't super keen on disclosing the actual terms they closed on for the 3 movies. But he gets whatever the greater is of ($335 million per film) or 15% for the 1st billion of the worldwide box office for each film and 20% of everything over that.

So the crossover point is 1.925b. Anything less than or equal to that, and he gets the 335m. Anything more and he gets more.

If they match the original's 2.8b, he gets 500m per film.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Shit, man, maybe he'll single-handedly colonize the moon just so he can shoot a movie there.

The delay is happening because in order to get the totally correct feel for the underwater scenes, Cameron wants to shoot at the Challenger Deep. Deepsea Challenger II needs to be large enough to take all the actors and crew, in addition to the filming equipment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It could be the case but it's doubtful, Cameron has 4 script writers working with him to do the trilogy. They have been working on the scripts for two years.

It's most likely that 23 months is simply too little for Production and Post Production.

Its not that I doubt the talent working on the script it is what could logically come next. Basically at the end of Avatar a primitive (in military terms) is able to beat a small military force.  Certainly if earth returned after this they would return with overwhelming force and wipe them out. No surprise this time could turn the tables.  Thats why I can never figure out where it could go. It would be as if at the Return of the Jedi the empire wasnt defeated entirely, but just lost the surface conflict on Endor. The Ewoks would not stand a chance if the full military of the Empire came down on them.

33 minutes ago, Franklin808 said:

Its not that I doubt the talent working on the script it is what could logically come next. Basically at the end of Avatar a primitive (in military terms) is able to beat a small military force.  Certainly if earth returned after this they would return with overwhelming force and wipe them out. No surprise this time could turn the tables.  Thats why I can never figure out where it could go. It would be as if at the Return of the Jedi the empire wasnt defeated entirely, but just lost the surface conflict on Endor. The Ewoks would not stand a chance if the full military of the Empire came down on them.

There are any number of ways you could spin it. For example, you could posit that the only way to thoroughly wipe out the Na'Vi would be massive carpet-bombing or nuking from orbit, but that could screw up your supply of unobtanium, which is the only reason Terrans are there in the first place (not to mention, the only way these missions can get funded). The entire planet is a sentient macro-organism, so even if you wipe out the physical bodies of the Na'Vi, they might be able to merge their consciousnesses with Ewya and then the Terrans would essentially have an alien environment completely at war with them... which is problematic if you need to keep mining, especially given that natural conditions on the moon are poisonous to us. The framework is also there for a case where Earth simply can't send enough military ships to constitute "overwhelming force" -- it's either too expensive or takes up too many resources.

These possibilities also don't account for humanity not being one collective entity with a singular focused vision: sure, RDA probably's out for blood (assuming they can make the numbers work), but who's to say there isn't a rival corporation that's willing to counter them and/or attempt to partner with the Na'Vi in order to muscle in on some Pandoran action? To say nothing of academic or environmental or religious groups that'd be opposed to a genocidal action.

I'm sure there's plenty of other story possibilities, and they all have great potential for drama.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It could be the case but it's doubtful, Cameron has 4 script writers working with him to do the trilogy. They have been working on the scripts for two years.

Wouldn't it be easier if they just used spellcheck? :P

10 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Nerds love to bag on each others' franchises, I guess. I don't get it. :lol:

Yeah but that was also the top comment on most movie blogs posts too when it was trending earlier on Facebook. Noticed a lot of "who cares" or "why can't Cameron work on something else, no one asked for this" like Movieman89 said too. 

That could all change with the first piece of marketing though. Who knows.

11 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

*EDIT: For some reason it's not showing up but that should be the concept art that the official Avatar twitter page posted.

Like look at that, 25 likes on Twitter from the official page and 3 comments. That is really bad for a movie that is supposed to be a monster again as far as gauging where the public interests are in relation to this movie.

Edited by somebody85

10 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Is there though? I'm honestly not trying to troll since I love the first film, I just don't think Avatar has anywhere near the fanbase at this point that the first Terminator or Alien film had. Those films got more and more popular with each passing year after they were released, and by the time the sequels were about to come out they were more popular than ever. Yes Avatar was huge in its initial run, but I still don't think it has maintained much relevance among the GA. And each passing year does matter because it gets further and further in the back of the GA's minds. I honestly feel like a lot of people are saying "so what?" to these sequels at this point. They will need to knock it out of the park with marketing right out of the gate. I think this will very much be its predecessor all over again in having to convince the GA to get on board first with great marketing and then with great WOM. If it lacks either of those, then it will fail. This is not a hype movie. 

Hard to disagree :)

Avatar does not have that crazy fanbase like Marvel, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. :) We are not in 2009 anymore.

10 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Like look at that, 25 likes on Twitter from the official page and 3 comments. That is really bad for a movie that is supposed to be a monster again as far as gauging where the public interests are in relation to this movie.

So much logic.

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

So much logic.

How is that not logical? If it had 1,000 likes then it would prove that a lot of people are following news of this movie. If it had something like that then I'd say "Damn maybe there is an interest that I'm not seeing." 

Like, I get it. Some of you guys think Twitter has nothing to do with the general audiences reaction towards a movie and its not fair to use it.

Regardless 25 likes for something a huge official movie page is posting is really low. That's not to say actual images from Avatar 2 will not get attention but as of now, what I was reading on the movie blogs seems to be the case everywhere.

Edited by somebody85

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

How is that not logical? If it had 1,000 likes then it would prove that a lot of people are following news of this movie. If it had something like that then I'd say "Damn maybe there is an interest that I'm not seeing." 

Like, I get it. Some of you guys think Twitter has nothing to do with the general audiences reaction towards a movie and its not fair to use it.

Regardless 25 likes for something a huge official movie page is posting is really low. That's not to say actual images from Avatar 2 will not get attention but as of now, what I was reading on the movie blogs seems to be the case everywhere.

Movie? What movie? The one we don't know when is coming out?

People should be excited for that? NOW?

Talk about tweets and how big the movie is a few months before it gets released.

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Movie? What movie? The one we don't know when is coming out?

People should be excited for that? NOW?

Talk about tweets and how big the movie is a few months before it gets released.

Fine man. From the page I just viewed they still post things every few days. Each tweet barely gets over 50 likes. I guess that's normal for a non franchise movie. I honestly don't know.

With Avatar being in the news today due to the delay, I would think some media they post would get more attention then that. That's all I was saying.