Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't exactly know what this lot is but it sounds like a way of segregating the discussion of the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time.

No it really isn't. It's just a sub-forum of Box Office Discussion where threads of films that either haven't started production yet or are being released 2 or 3+ years in the future go. You can still discuss it, but it's just on another page so that other threads can take up space on the main page. Even SW Episode 8 was On the Lot for a while until it got a May release date, and I believe Episode 9 is still On the Lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't exactly know what this lot is but it sounds like a way of segregating the discussion of the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time.

Then maybe you should explore the rest of the site.  And stop being such a little wanker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/41wrhr/some_amazing_things_about_the_avatar_sequels/

Don't know if this was posted (and obviously take with a massive grain of salt), but if true, holy shit. Cameron is getting $1B guaranteed to do the sequels ($333m-ish/movie), and Fox is essentially just paying for the sequels with part of the original Avatar's profits. Fox and Lightstorm set up a trust fund using 30% of the profits from Avatar and now it has accumulated enough to make, distribute, and market the sequels in full. Cameron and Fox are essentially making all profit with the upcoming sequels, whenever they come out.

That.Is.Awesome

33 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Then maybe you should explore the rest of the site.  And stop being such a little wanker.

Kind of ironic that I'm a fan James "Iron Jim" Cameron and not exploring. Jim would be ashamed of me, afterall he has explored where no one else on earth has at the deepest point in the ocean.

Edited by IronJimbo

2 minutes ago, Franklin808 said:

Been awhile, but thought I would comment. Could the delay be because they just cant come up with a story that makes much sense. I enjoyed the first Avatar, but for years I have wondered how they could do a sequel story that makes sense.  

I think brains creative enough to make Avatar in the first place will have enough resources for furthering the story.

Also, as far as business goes, you don't really need that much of a story for Avatar 2,3,4 to make loads of dough.

A simple story presented by Cameroon in his style can make the trilogy lots of money.

Giving the trilogy significant drops,

If A2 makes 2/3rds of A1, it will make 1.85b ww.

If A3 decreases by 25% from A2, it will make 1.39b ww.

If A4 being the last one in the trilogy stays relatively flat and decreases by 10%, it will make 1.25b.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Why don't we all stop calling each other ignorant? Aren't there better things to do than try to bait each other?

In terms of the 1 billion over three movies, that's basically what WB ended up spending on the HOBBIT trilogy (well, it's a little more, but same ballpark).

[–]simplefilmreviews [-1] 3512 points  

So basically they saw Star Wars move a week from their release date and got nervous........

The top comment in the reddit Avatar 2 delayed, atleast 3512 people "upvoted" it.

5 hours ago, Baumer said:

Cameron will make it work and there will be plenty of interest in it.  Aliens came out 7 years after Alien and don't forget about Terminator and Terminator 2.  There's obviously enough interest in the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time.

Is there though? I'm honestly not trying to troll since I love the first film, I just don't think Avatar has anywhere near the fanbase at this point that the first Terminator or Alien film had. Those films got more and more popular with each passing year after they were released, and by the time the sequels were about to come out they were more popular than ever. Yes Avatar was huge in its initial run, but I still don't think it has maintained much relevance among the GA. And each passing year does matter because it gets further and further in the back of the GA's minds. I honestly feel like a lot of people are saying "so what?" to these sequels at this point. They will need to knock it out of the park with marketing right out of the gate. I think this will very much be its predecessor all over again in having to convince the GA to get on board first with great marketing and then with great WOM. If it lacks either of those, then it will fail. This is not a hype movie. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

[–]simplefilmreviews [-1] 3512 points  

So basically they saw Star Wars move a week from their release date and got nervous........

The top comment in the reddit Avatar 2 delayed, atleast 3512 people "upvoted" it.

Nerds love to bag on each others' franchises, I guess. I don't get it. :lol:

2 hours ago, Franklin808 said:

Been awhile, but thought I would comment. Could the delay be because they just cant come up with a story that makes much sense. I enjoyed the first Avatar, but for years I have wondered how they could do a sequel story that makes sense.  

It could be the case but it's doubtful, Cameron has 4 script writers working with him to do the trilogy. They have been working on the scripts for two years.

It's most likely that 23 months is simply too little for Production and Post Production.

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Why don't we all stop calling each other ignorant? Aren't there better things to do than try to bait each other?

In terms of the 1 billion over three movies, that's basically what WB ended up spending on the HOBBIT trilogy (well, it's a little more, but same ballpark).

That's not what Fox is spending on the 3 Avatar sequels. That's what Cameron is getting paid.

28 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

:lol:

In that case, dayum, time for JC to put out (a few sequels) for his new sugar daddy.

Easy to understand confusion.

The 1b profits were from Avatar, which was partly set aside to accrue, and is now being used to cover all the costs for the sequels. (That sounds like a pretty good return on investment, even before making the films.)

For Cameron's pay, it sounds a bit like an advance/royalty situation (although probably quite a bit more complex, and a hell of a lot larger.) He's got a guaranteed minimum for each film, but if they hit it big, his payday could go quite a bit higher.

So he's getting 1b minimum.

Still, it's really smart that they've basically taken care of the risk by processing the profits of the first film. I know that Fox tends to lean hard on minimizing risk, but this is at a whole different level. For all that people tend to (at the moment) put Disney and Universal on top of the studios, it feels like there's a lot more than just top dollar gross to take into account. I'm pretty sure Fox doesn't have an ESPN-sized albatross hanging around it, after all.

• Like 2