Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

18 minutes ago, a2knet said:

At least 9 years after the 1st one. How much inflation is that? And due it, can I be an ass and say sub-500m will be disappointing? thanks :P

That's not being an ass. I'm expecting $200m opening weekend then a billion dom.

Also Avatar would have made $3.3b with todays inflation, that $2.05b of TFA ain't looking so hot.

Edited by IronJimbo

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Avengers has a carboard story, so i guess people don't mind...

Avengers is glossy cardstock, it's at least slick and handles it's tropes well. Same for JW or SW: TFA I mean you clearly have a choice to pick from on this one.

Avatar is very 2-D and bland in it's cardboard-iness. 

I'm sure people will show up, I just wouldn't expect a great story.

No one pretends Titanic wasn't a love story at it's core. Solid movie trope. However, Cameron fleshed those characters out and it felt real and you cared about them. I never cared who lived or died in Avatar. Not sure why I'd care about them in a sequel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Look, Piranha 2 is his movie. He may hate it and he may disown it but it's still credited to him. Plus it was his experience on it that gave rise to the Terminator.

He didn't direct a single scene in that film, they used his name because it wasn't foriegn and legally fucked him.

Were you aware he didn't direct a single scene of Piranha 2 when you made this post?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Seriously? Because I don't like everything Cameron's done that makes me a troll?

Apparently.  But I like/love all his movies except one.

41 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

He didn't direct a single scene in that film, they used his name because it wasn't foriegn and legally fucked him.

Were you aware he didn't direct a single scene of Piranha 2 when you made this post?

Since, literally, Cameron has not directed a single bad movie, his detractors need to do that kind of thing to "bash" him. LOL

I'm not sure if this is some sort of April Fool's thing or not but that's just false. His infamous Terminator nightmare happened while he was in the production process

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm not sure if this is some sort of April Fool's thing or not but that's just false. His infamous Terminator nightmare happened while he was in the production process

"I was fired after three weeks as the producer of the film really wanted to be a director - that's why it starts off with intense scenes and ends up with topless women running around on a yacht".

On the one hand it'd be silly to doubt Cameron.

On the other, most people cared so little about the first film's story they wouldn't even be able to name a single character. There's not exactly a desperation to see what happens next in the saga.

It's a pity it'll probably be another ten years before Cameron takes on a new project, but oh well.

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

On the other, most people cared so little about the first film's story they wouldn't even be able to name a single character. There's not exactly a desperation to see what happens next in the saga.

No movie people don't care about the story of makes almost $3 billion. That's a fact.

I bet if i would go on the street and ask random people quite a few wouldn't know the names of the new characters in TFA.

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

No movie people don't care about the story of makes almost $3 billion. That's a fact.

FWIW I really do appreciate that the film's popularity wasn't just down to the novelty of 3D, but I also suspect most viewers were perfectly satisfied by the story without feeling especially compelled to see more of it.

I know the whole "Avatar is the biggest film no-one ever talks about" thing is a bit cliched at this point... but like most cliches it has at least one foot in the truth.

6 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Avengers is glossy cardstock, it's at least slick and handles it's tropes well.

That makes no sense. If the analogy is about being cardboard, and you are saying that Avengers is glossy, expensive cardboard, then Avatar, which truly had revolutionary visuals and a genuinely immersive technical razzle dazzle that garnered it three Oscars is infinitely better cardstock than Avengers. And sorry, but nobody is better at handling narrative tropes than Cameron. All Whedon did was add stale jokes and pop culture references (you know, the "Whedon humor") to a recipe that was already concocted by comics.

FWIW I really do appreciate that the film's popularity wasn't just down to the novelty of 3D, but I also suspect most viewers were perfectly satisfied by the story without feeling especially compelled to see more of it.

I know the whole "Avatar is the biggest film no-one ever talks about" thing is a bit cliched at this point... but like most cliches it has at least one foot in the truth.

Even so, I'm pretty sure Cameron is aware of that and has something in mind to win everyone over again