Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Overrated how? And where? I'd love to see sources on this claim. 

Avatar actually seems to be holding very well in public consciousness according to Google Trends. I've added a few of this year's biggest films for comparison. Also, this obviously doesn't include China which is Avatar's biggest OS market.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=avatar,avengers,deadpool,han solo,jurassic world 

Joe Letteri of WETA Digital is being honoured. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/how-dinosaurs-led-creation-gollum-lord-rings-1082224

a few words on the upcoming Avatar sequels

His work on Avatar took it all one step further, since performance capture was combined with virtual production while the actors were effectively working with digital sets, allowing director James Cameron to shoot as if he were filming a live-action movie. On the upcoming Avatar sequels, the process has become "more integrated than anything we have been able to do in the past and is a much more realistic representation of being in that world," says Letteri. "That's great for the actors, great for the director, and it's great for us because we know what the film is that we're trying to make."

Having set the bar more than once, Letteri admits that it now keeps getting raised higher. "If you could do one Gollum, you must be able to do a whole planet full," he notes. "Figure out how to do something new, and it quickly expands into having to do lots of them. That's still hard to do; it's still a very artist-dependent medium." 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Joe Letteri of WETA Digital is being honoured. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/how-dinosaurs-led-creation-gollum-lord-rings-1082224

a few words on the upcoming Avatar sequels

His work on Avatar took it all one step further, since performance capture was combined with virtual production while the actors were effectively working with digital sets, allowing director James Cameron to shoot as if he were filming a live-action movie. On the upcoming Avatar sequels, the process has become "more integrated than anything we have been able to do in the past and is a much more realistic representation of being in that world," says Letteri. "That's great for the actors, great for the director, and it's great for us because we know what the film is that we're trying to make."

Having set the bar more than once, Letteri admits that it now keeps getting raised higher. "If you could do one Gollum, you must be able to do a whole planet full," he notes. "Figure out how to do something new, and it quickly expands into having to do lots of them. That's still hard to do; it's still a very artist-dependent medium." 

I had no doubt that the CGI would be kicked up a notch but ti's a matter of much, looks like it could be a big leap.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I had no doubt that the CGI would be kicked up a notch but ti's a matter of much, looks like it could be a big leap.

Sounds like it's going to be difficult to tell the difference between live action/real actors and their CGI counterparts, that's what it sounds like to me. Cameron did say that the visuals alone will have us in awe. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

But still, there are no Avatar memes out there on internet. So, Avatar still has no culture influence. Case closed.  :stirthepot:

I don't know what is worse, Scott Meddleson or the people which parrot him without critical thought.

tbh I hope the movie kicks up the emotional quotient and characterization up a notch. that's what prevented avatar from being a great film imo. vfx and cgi is all very creditable and good but hoping for a more soulful film than avatar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Sounds like it's going to be difficult to tell the difference between live action/real actors and their CGI counterparts, that's what it sounds like to me. Cameron did say that the visuals alone will have us in awe. 

I think his exact words were "shit yourself with your mouth wide open." I'll be wearing a diaper to opening night - just to be sure. 

5 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I think his exact words were "shit yourself with your mouth wide open." I'll be wearing a diaper to opening night - just to be sure. 

mqzI15g.png

@vc2002

• Like 2