Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, Lothar said:

See this is the reason I don't want to argue with anyone. 

You think JC didn't know about the planetary science ?

People seem to forget Jim is a better scientist than practically all scientists.

So much more than a movie-maker.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

First setence is correct, the level of sci-fi you prefer is indeed a preference (obiviously).

Weird thing is how we call both Avatar and Star Wars science-fiction, when one is fiction-fiction.

I mean, you're kinda just trolling at this point :lol: but if you wanted to call one space fantasy and the other science fiction, no one's gonna vehemently argue with you.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

I mean, you're kinda just trolling at this point :lol: but if you wanted to call one space fantasy and the other science fiction, no one's gonna vehemently argue with you.

Alright then there's no problems here.

Now we just need everyone to get on board with the new terminology space-fiction, reserved for Star Wars and other fantasy works in space.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Space opera. 😡

(but it doesn't really matter, who cares)

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

One google search and guess what I found, an Avatar forum where people were discussing the good/bad science of Avatar!

https://forum.learnnavi.org/general-avatar-discussion/bad-and-good-science-in-avatar!/msg472046/?PHPSESSID=836k58n5s2m3p3s4n5mcsu0vc4#msg472046

Looks like the actual planet of Pandora is likely impossible.

Let's first start off with Pandora. As everybody knows, Pandora orbits Polyphemus, which orbits Alpha Centauri A. Polyphemus is HUGE, HUGE as Jupiter. Pandora is also not small. To have appreciable gravity (read "mass") about 0.8 that of Earth and have a reasonable density, such as that of the Earth, Pandora has to have a big radius (barring the remote possibility that except for a small layer of dust on the top Pandora is made of pure lead).

Large radius and nearby HUGE Polyphemus translates to, you guessed it, enormous tidal forces. Tidal forces come from the difference in gravitational pull on Pandora's near side to Polyphemus and its far side. To clear things up, think about this. Since Pandora's far side is quite a bit farther than the near side to Polyphemus, it will feel a smaller gravitational pull towards Polyphemus. In the frame of reference of Pandora, this creates a constant tidal force acting on the moon.

Which means what? First of all, assuming Pandora has a tectonic plate structure - which is reasonable considering that it has quite Earth-like mountains - huge tidal forces will create constant earthquakes and violent volcano eruptions. Hometree would fall quite soon without the RDA's help. Why would this happen? Well, the tidal force makes Pandora oval-shaped, with the long end pointed towards Polyphemus. However, Pandora seems to rotate quite normally, so this has to mean that its crust deforms constantly, which of course results in earthquakes.

Enormous ocean tides would also be a problem. I guess that the Ikran People of the Eastern Sea would need to use their ikrans to escape flooded territory and fly back when it dries up...though this seems a far more skxawng-ish solution than simply moving inland.

There's some back and forth on this subject, but most people seem to agree that it's location, size, gravity et all, would not be conductive to sustaining life because of lots of earthquakes and other bad stuff.

"The floating mountains of Pandora float apparently because of the strong magnetic field levitating them. A magnetic field strong enough to levitate mountain-sized superconductors (assuming they are pure unobtanium) should be strong enough to suck all of the RDA machinery to the Tree of Souls. The enormous magnetic flux that would be generated by moving would mess up with people's brains and nervous systems, making them a hallucinating skxawng at least and a corpse arcing on itself with 100-amp electric currents at most."

Now Cameron knew this specific thing was not very realistic, but guess what, he kept it anyway because it looks cool!

These are just two examples I found in 5-10 minutes.

Good copy paste.

Tell me more about science ?

Today the science we know hasn't been advanced to level what JC is trying to show us. In future like in 2150s it will be possible for humans to travel to Alpha Centauri system.

You are a student of science there's nothing impossible in science but we need to discover things.

Scientists of today are trying find a way to make a spaceship which can travel at speed of light or somewhat closer to it. Google (Alcubierre Drive).

So today it might looks like no no that's impossible but tomorrow it would be like oh yeah 145 years ago there was a movie on Alpha Centauri A's moon called Avatar.

• ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, Lothar said:

See this is the reason I don't want to argue with anyone. 

You think JC didn't know about the planetary science ?

huh?  Of course he did, but he still chose "cinematic" over "real."

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

People seem to forget Jim is a better scientist than practically all scientists.

Oh fucking come off it. 

• Like 3

Just now, JB33 said:

I love how all the Cameron super fans on this site are always desperately trying to keep this thread alive, given the film is still just under 2 years away. 😂

This thread has been "desperately" staying alive for 8 years almost.

Not exactly sure where desperation comes in? Isn't desperation meant to be something extreme while the Avatar 2 thread being on the front page is just the norm?

Besides it's only natural that the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time remains a hot topic on the Box Office Theory forum.

• Haha 1

Just now, Deep Wang said:

huh?  Of course he did, but he still chose "cinematic" over "real."

Oh fucking come off it. 

Do some reading, I'm completely serious. The mans a genius.

If you want to downplay Jim because some internet fans are obnixous go ahead, but you're only going against history. He will be remembered as one of the GOATS of the technological era, and others will be forgotten.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Good copy paste.

Tell me more about science ?

Today the science we know hasn't been advanced to level what JC is trying to show us. In future like in 2150s it will be possible for humans to travel to Alpha Centauri system.

Maybe. It's certainly not guaranteed.

In the meantime, we guess at what we think might be ways to do it, and we ignore all the complicated reasons why we can't do it now. And at the end of the day, from a story perspective it doesn't matter if you say they travel through a wormhole or slip into some sort of hyperspace or just slog all the way at sub-light speeds -- they're all made-up and they're all perfectly functional ways to tell a story. Each has limitations which can be used for story purposes: in this case, Cameron used the long duration of the journey as a plot-point for why Earth can't react quickly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This thread has been "desperately" staying alive for 8 years almost.

Not exactly sure where desperation comes in? Isn't desperation meant to be something extreme while the Avatar 2 thread being on the front page is just the norm?

Besides it's only natural that the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time remains a hot topic on the Box Office Theory forum.

But...it's not a hot topic. It's you and the few other Cameron fans keeping it alive. Today is a little different due to the science fiction argument so hey, you got people's attention!!

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Do some reading, I'm completely serious. The mans a genius.

If you want to downplay Jim because some internet fans are obnixous go ahead, but you're only going against history. He will be remembered as one of the GOATS of the technological era, and others will be forgotten.

I think Cameron himself would resist statements declaring him more (and better) of a scientist than the JPL and NASA gang. He's certainly put his stamp on underwater and deep-sea engineering and vehicular design, but he's always been very clear that he is an amateur explorer in the grandest sense of the term (a position that's famous throughout history), and while he's made valuable contributions, he holds scientists in extremely high regard and wouldn't put himself on their level of expertise.

• Like 3