Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Avatar II - minimum $1 B in China based on this story alone lol!!!

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201812/25/WS5c21ea7fa310d91214050c75.html

5c21ea7fa310d9126fdb5f19.jpeg

Two people dressed as characters from the film, Avatar, walk on tightropes in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park on Dec 23, 2018. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn] 

As part of a hike, eight stunts dressed as characters from Avatar and walked on a tightrope strung between mountains over 1,000 meters high to compete in an international tightrope-walking contest held in Zhangjiajie, Central China's Hunan province on Sunday.

Nearly 5,000 outdoor sports enthusiasts from all over the country went hiking in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park in Huangshizhai that day as a way to welcome the New Year.

Walking on a tightrope is a kind of new sports activity that requires balancing ability. Those who do it need to complete a variety of technical movements. The rope is normally a 2.5 cm wide and 3 cm thick nylon strap.

According to Man Jiahua, one of the contestants, the sport of tightrope walking is known to few in China. The competition held in Hunan this time was a good opportunity for more people to learn about it.

Huangshizhai is famed for its stunning peaks and various plants, and was the inspiration for the Hallelujah Mountains in the movie, Avatar.

Edited by Deuce66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Avatar II - minimum $1 B in China based on this story alone lol!!!

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201812/25/WS5c21ea7fa310d91214050c75.html

5c21ea7fa310d9126fdb5f19.jpeg

Two people dressed as characters from the film, Avatar, walk on tightropes in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park on Dec 23, 2018. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn] 

As part of a hike, eight stunts dressed as characters from Avatar and walked on a tightrope strung between mountains over 1,000 meters high to compete in an international tightrope-walking contest held in Zhangjiajie, Central China's Hunan province on Sunday.

Nearly 5,000 outdoor sports enthusiasts from all over the country went hiking in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park in Huangshizhai that day as a way to welcome the New Year.

Walking on a tightrope is a kind of new sports activity that requires balancing ability. Those who do it need to complete a variety of technical movements. The rope is normally a 2.5 cm wide and 3 cm thick nylon strap.

According to Man Jiahua, one of the contestants, the sport of tightrope walking is known to few in China. The competition held in Hunan this time was a good opportunity for more people to learn about it.

Huangshizhai is famed for its stunning peaks and various plants, and was the inspiration for the Hallelujah Mountains in the movie, Avatar.

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

^^ good lord

tenor.gif?itemid=3697652

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The closer we get to launch the more people start to see just how right we are. 

People are so much smarter than "Cameron Loonies" so when the loonies predicted it wasn't based on information just blind faith. So it doesn't count of course.

This is exactly why I made that Alita club, still have people telling me I'm predicted as I do only because blind faith, despite having made the most detailed post on the project.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Saw a post on reddit about production now being finished but 4 and 5 might not happen any more. I guess Disney want to see how 2 and 3 turn out.

I guess if it doesn't make at least 5B per sequel, A4 and A5 will get cancelled. Jim's got some work to do. 

54 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I guess if it doesn't make at least 5B per sequel, A4 and A5 will get cancelled. Jim's got some work to do. 

Production budget is $250 million each - the first two have to gross at least $1.0 B each maybe less depending on tax incentives (New Zealand)/cross promotions with major brands etc....in order to make it worthwhile. 

6 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Production budget is $250 million each - the first two have to gross at least $1.0 B each maybe less depending on tax incentives (New Zealand)/cross promotions with major brands etc....in order to make it worthwhile. 

Lol it'll make that $250m with just the 25% studios get in China :hahaha::hahaha:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Don't forget that fox put a fund aside from Avatar because it made so much money. The Avatar sequels are basically free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I was listening to my local radio and they mentioned Avatar, which was weird because they rarely mention movies. This is roughly what she was saying:

"Do you remember the movie Avatar? You know the one with blue people by James Cameron. It was fantastic from what I remember and it broke box office records. It made two billion dollars!

Well because of their success, James decided to make not one but two more Avatar movies! They've just finished filming, and apparently they were filming both at once, so often the cast would ask 'which are we filming today?', I guess it makes sense since they were covered with blue makeup all the time. I imagine they went home some days with blue still on them, better hope they didn't have white bed sheets. 

If you want to see it (which you most certainly will) then Avatar 2 will be out in December! Then Avatar 3 the December after."

I thought it was nice at the start when she was talking about Avatar, but then couldn't stop laughing at her inaccuracies!

It made a whole $770m more than 2 billies, they never wore blue makeup as it was mocap, and obviously it comes out next year not this year! 

Regardless still encouraging that a random radio station is talking about the sequels 23 months in advance. 

Just thought people might find this interesting / laughable 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Feasby0007 said:

So I was listening to my local radio and they mentioned Avatar, which was weird because they rarely mention movies. This is roughly what she was saying:

"Do you remember the movie Avatar? You know the one with blue people by James Cameron. It was fantastic from what I remember and it broke box office records. It made two billion dollars!

Well because of their success, James decided to make not one but two more Avatar movies! They've just finished filming, and apparently they were filming both at once, so often the cast would ask 'which are we filming today?', I guess it makes sense since they were covered with blue makeup all the time. I imagine they went home some days with blue still on them, better hope they didn't have white bed sheets. 

If you want to see it (which you most certainly will) then Avatar 2 will be out in December! Then Avatar 3 the December after."

I thought it was nice at the start when she was talking about Avatar, but then couldn't stop laughing at her inaccuracies!

It made a whole $770m more than 2 billies, they never wore blue makeup as it was mocap, and obviously it comes out next year not this year! 

Regardless still encouraging that a random radio station is talking about the sequels 23 months in advance. 

These stories are a great example of why the internet isn't the be all of culture/society. :Gaga:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Feasby0007 said:

Or you can say its impressive that people still think it was real people in blue makeup.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cubsfan said:

Or you can say its impressive that people still think it was real people in blue makeup.   

I shit you not, the third (or was it fourth?) time I saw Avatar in the cinema, there was a guy bragging in the front seats saying he could see that the dragon-creatures in the movie where just bats in a costume. Come on people, how disconnected can you be from media.

• Like 1