Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

I got the trailer for the re-release followed directly by the Avatar 2 trailer at my IMAX showing of Jaws earlier, anyone who says that they can’t see the improvement in CGI between the two clearly don’t have working eyes. It’s a VERY noticeable improvement.

Apart from none working eyes, theres two things it could be. The first is that they're misremembering Avatar's CGI, if you've played any old 3D video games, go back and check the graphics and it will appear worse than you remember. Your mind fills in the blanks. Secondly these people are watching the new trailer on their 720p laptops and on their phones

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Where's JCS when you need him I don't have time for this. Shame he gone. I trust the scholar with all Avatar related info and he's told us already that Avatar is owned by Lightstorm.

You're yet to show proof Avatar is owned by Fox / Disney, that's just conjecture based on this

AvatarⒸ 2022 20th Century Studios

James Cameron's Avatar is a trademark of 20th Century Studios. All Rights Reserved

This does not mean Fox owns the Avatar IP my friend

I must admit I certainly did not expect to receive a reply where someone is putting their hands over their eyes and ears and just going "nuh uh".

Claim to the copyright and trademark is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, evidence of intellectual property ownership. Conjecture is saying someone owns an intellectual property because they were named a defendant on a lawsuit where said document explicitly stated that all rights were transferred from the named defendant to another company that now owns it. Actually that's not conjecture that's just spouting stuff since one can be legally liable for damages for a property they do not own. You being in denial does not change the facts. If you want to prove the claim is wrong provide evidence to the contrary. Saying nuh huh is not sufficient.

IIRC this JCS fella contacted me and we had a conversation about this very topic. He asked to go over DM. We did. He asked to go to Discord. We did. All he presented that was new was a linkedin profile about a Director from Lightstorm that works with licensees on creative designs for anything Avatar. He stopped replying to me when all the evidence that 20th Century owns the IP was presented to him. If it's a different guy or he has anything new to bring to the table we can have that conversation again.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

1. you're making an assumption that fox owns "the" trademarks and copyrights

2. says who

I don't understand this post. Dude goes from "nuh huh" to "according to who".

One cannot legally make a copyright and trademark claim on distributed merchandise/movies/websites/games/etc they do not own. Try to do that and see how fast you get a cease and desist from the IP owner.  Furthermore you can search copyright and trademark owners online in the US, if a public claim is not enough for you.

https://www.copyright.gov/public-records/

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/search

Find anything in there (or similar authority in another country) that says the copyright or trademark belongs to anyone but 20th and we can go from there. 

At this point I have to assume you are arguing in bad faith or have no understanding of how IP law, copyright and trademarks work.

You can take solace in knowing that Disney will probably treat this IP like a lot of other IPs they own and be pretty hands off. Best example is Kingdom Hearts and Sora where Disney has owned that IP since its inception but Square Enix has been in charge creatively since its inception.

Edited by AnotherDayAnotherDollar
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

You can take solace in knowing that Disney will probably treat this IP like a lot of other IPs they own and be pretty hands off. Best example is Kingdom Hearts and Sora where Disney has owned that IP since its inception but Square Enix has been in charge creatively since its inception.

That is a very weird comparison to make.

42 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

That is a very weird comparison to make.

Disney owns both IPs. They are hands off on them. You can choose another IP they own if you prefer.

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

@AnotherDayAnotherDollar

https://casetext.com/case/dean-v-cameron-2

Dean vs Cameron NOT Dean vs Fox.

All this copyright talk is not relavent to the fact Jim owns the intellectual property.

It seems like you don't know how to read a legal document. From your own link:

Plaintiff William Roger Dean, a successful artist, brings this action against James Cameron, the renowned writer and director; Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation; Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment; and Lightstorm Entertainment (together, “Defendants”).

And again being a defendant on a legal case does not equal ownership. You can be liable for things you do not own. You saying "this copyright talk is not relavent" shows you do not understand copyright, trademarks, IP laws and ownership.

All you are relying on is hopes and dreams, thoughts and prayers. I know it sucks but Disney owns the IP through 20th.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

Disney owns both IPs. They are hands off on them. You can choose another IP they own if you prefer.

It seems like you don't know how to read a legal document. From your own link:

And again being a defendant on a legal case does not equal ownership. You can be liable for things you do not own. You saying "this copyright talk is not relavent" shows you do not understand copyright, trademarks, IP laws and ownership.

All you are relying on is hopes and dreams, thoughts and prayers. I know it sucks but Disney owns the IP through 20th.

https://aughtonainsworth.com/news/differences-between-copyright-and-intellectual-property/

copyright and intellectual property are not the same, Jim owns the IP simple as

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

https://aughtonainsworth.com/news/differences-between-copyright-and-intellectual-property/

copyright and intellectual property are not the same, Jim owns the IP simple as

Yeah you don't understand how any of this works. Someone on this thread earlier mentioned the difference between copyright and trademark. You own both you own the IP. 20th owns both.

There's zero evidence Cameron owns it and overwhelming evidence 20th owns it. Hate to say it, but your hope that Jim owns the IP doesn't make it so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

Yeah you don't understand how any of this works. Someone on this thread earlier mentioned the difference between copyright and trademark. You own both you own the IP. 20th owns both.

There's zero evidence Cameron owns it and overwhelming evidence 20th owns it. Hate to say it, but your hope that Jim owns the IP doesn't make it so.

you can't tell left from right can you?

Moderation

Alright that's enough. @AnotherDayAnotherDollar @IronJimbo it's obvious you guys will refuse to listen or agree with another, so stop fighting over this "Does Disney or Cameron own Avatar?" nonsense. If you still have to argue, like the universe depends on it, do it through PMs.

Easy 2b ww and 800 dom is done deal to me. if nwh can do it why not avatar with no competition it has chance to become first billion dollar domestic movie too. easily biggest movie of the century and our first legit 3b film ww. major bulk coming from dom and china alone takes it to highest grossing movie of the year and anthore 1b from rest of world for a total 2.5b and a outside chance of 3bww.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doffy said:

Easy 2b ww and 800 dom is done deal to me. if nwh can do it why not avatar with no competition it has chance to become first billion dollar domestic movie too. easily biggest movie of the century and our first legit 3b film ww. major bulk coming from dom and china alone takes it to highest grossing movie of the year and anthore 1b from rest of world for a total 2.5b and a outside chance of 3bww.

Good post! I would say a one billie Domesic scales easily into a 3B WW (assuming China plays nice).