Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Del Toro has seen it (and loved it) 

I want Avatar 2 to make 5B like IronJimbo and JamesCameronScholar (is he banned? Come back!) but GDT is JC's BFF so of course he's gonna praise the movie. Plus look at those red flags - majestic vistas, epic scale, emotions but what about character? Story? Crickets. I'm sorry but spectacle + heart/emotion has become first reaction cliche like Best Movie Since ____. Every Marvel movie has spectacle and lots of heart except when they don't (most of Phase 4) but first reactions will never tell you.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 4

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I want Avatar 2 to make 5B like IronJimbo and JamesCameronScholar (is he banned? Come back!) but GDT is JC's BFF so of course he's gonna praise the movie. Plus look at those red flags - majestic vistas, epic scale, emotions but what about character? Story? Crickets. I'm sorry but spectacle + heart/emotion has become first reaction cliche like Best Movie Since ____. Every Marvel movie has spectacle and lots of heart except when they don't (most of Phase 4) but first reactions will never tell you.

How any of this is a red flag? Lol 

It's just a tweet, not a 8 paragraph review. 

And emotions are directly linked with character development and story. This isn't an MCU movie where just the appeareance of a beloved SH already make people emotional, Avatar actually needs to build the emotion. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

...okay?

Anyway, cool to have a great reaction from Del Toro, though he is friend with Cameron and all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

...okay?

Anyway, cool to have a great reaction from Del Toro, though he is friend with Cameron and all.

Well Del Toro did predict avatar would beat Camerons own biggest ticket seller of all time ine one run Masterpiece titanic. So I think he knows what makes a JC film something beyond the rest.  So I see his quick review  as a positive. 

Tbh I would think that reaction highly sus if it didn't come from del Toro.

I'm sure it's sincere but also GDT is something of a fanboy and likes to prop up his buddies. It's a good trait but not one conducive to extrapolating audience reactions from.

Edited by AniNate

41 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Hey NCsoft. Looks like.we getting a china  release. Exciting times. John campea still feels 500-700 mil possible in china with this movie. Wow I hope no less than 400-500 m run from China alone

Theaters operating in china at 60-70% open..So hopefully that's enough with multiple views to get more than double - triple Fast 9 crapfest numbers in China.

Hey Kal!

China's theatre opening rate is at 51% or so right now, could dip even further but unsure whether it'll come back up when A2 lands there, could maybe rely on a long run so that when cities locked down are reopened, A2 is still in theatre, in that case, we're going to see some interesting legs!

I could still see $400M-$500M in China, not optimal, but then again, that would be better than any import films would receive these days; I am still cautiously hopeful for China numbers!

Edited by NCsoft
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Oh my God!

That's like 0.002% of the population of China!

EVERYONE PANIC!

:ohmygod:

Maybe you was trying to be funny but you kinda nailed since that's pretty much the exact reaction on China and the reason why half of the theaters are closed (with more possibly closing in the next weeks) and millions are in lockdown.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

While Del Toro's endorsement for TWOW is probably assured in any case, he really didn't have to say "A master at the peak of his powers" did he? Just going to interpret that as a positive sign.

Yes, and he really doesn't need to say anything if he doesn't want, no one even knows Cameron already screened the movie for other directors. 

They're friends etc but if he post it, it's because he liked it. Nobody is treating as a proof of quality like some people seems to believe, it's just a cool info.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

While Del Toro's endorsement for TWOW is probably assured in any case, he really didn't have to say "A master at the peak of his powers" did he? Just going to interpret that as a positive sign.

He's alluding to the fact Jim has supernatural powers when it comes to directing and also is a master of his craft. Remember Del Toro and Jim are friends so take with a grain of salt.

Besides, we already know it's going to be this good... how many times do I have to say it.

groundbreaking visuals
experiential filmaking - feel like you're on pandora (core feeling from the first film)

improved 3D

richer story than the first, with more emotional impact

Incredible action sequence

Amazing score (it's already won some music award)

• Like 2