Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, adaros said:

You don't need to tell me: 'people didn't see any reason for a sequel'.
There are people who were waiting 13 years for a sequel if you like it or not.

Well put good to see HR still reporting that Way of the Water could still beat Avatar and take the domestic crown. 

You gotta love folks getting nervous that A2 is going to win everything. 

We need at least 850-900+m Dom and good legs OS.. LETS Go!

I hope they re-release in china down the road if the situation changes. I'd like to see a bigger run over there in the future.

Any numbers for Australia, Italy, France?

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

this-girl-is-delusional-real-housewives-

Never Bet Against James Cameron. IT is his track record that has some people here not giving up hope for ~3 billion, becauese people said simmilar things with Titanic and Avatar and Look What Happened. Of course it could be Avatar does nothing of that and gross way less than the first one or even less than TGM WW. But the thing is JAMES CAMERON IS JAMES CAMERON. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Also...is there an actor more bland and forgettable than Sam Worthington? jfc the man has the charisma of dried paint.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with him, I think he does the job. For me he's like what Keanu Reeves was to The Matrix

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, StreamBO said:

They should use the original Avatar 1 theme song for all the Avatar Movies, that way it solidifies it. Leona Lewis song is excellent, still listen to it. That Weeknd thing is not it. 

Definitely loved Leona Lewis's work in the Original. Agreed.

14 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

I don't there is anything particularly wrong with him, I think he does the job. For me he's like what Keanu Reeves was to The Matrix

I cant imagine someone als for the roll of jake sully. He is perfect for that roll.

34 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Funny thing is the film may well finish closer to Shedons 1bil than some of the predictions in the weekend thread.

Are you talking about DOM? I'd like to see these posts because I dont think I have seen any like that. I think the lowest I saw was someone saying around 450m??? I think thats gonna be closer to actual than 1 billion. 

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Are you talking about DOM? I'd like to see these posts because I dont think I have seen any like that. I think the lowest I saw was someone saying around 450m??? I think thats gonna be closer to actual than 1 billion. 

This morning i was just scanning over the thread and i'm sure i saw one for 350mil, and i'm sure a couple of people mentioned going under 400mil without giving an actual number.

I still feel 700mil is not out of the question yet, which would be closer to 1bil than 350mil.

Thing is none of us know for certain, especially with it being Christmas time.

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

This morning i was just scanning over the thread and i'm sure i saw one for 350mil, and i'm sure a couple of people mentioned going under 400mil without giving an actual number.

I still feel 700mil is not out of the question yet, which would be closer to 1bil than 350mil.

Thing is none of us know for certain, especially with it being Christmas time.

Hmm, I don't recall seeing anything as low as 350 but did see one below BPWF. Even if there were 400m guesses I think they will be closer than 1 billion imo. Currently I am thinking low 600's

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Hmm, I don't recall seeing anything as low as 350 but did see one below BPWF. Even if there were 400m guesses I think they will be closer than 1 billion imo. Currently I am thinking low 600's

Well i'd take low 600's to be honest, especially as that SHOULD mean around 2bil worldwide, and thats with a much closer domestic/international split than the first movie. A similar split as the first movie and low 600's would mean around 2.4bil WW!.

Thing is ZeeSoh, especially taking Christmas into account, people prdicitng 400mil and less are imo just as silly as 800mil, 1bil, etc predicitions.

Edited by stuart360

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Well i'd take low 600's to be honest, especially as that SHOULD mean around 2bil worldwide, and thats with a much closer domestic/international split as the first movie. A similar split as the first movie and low 600's would mean around 2.4bil WW!.

Thing is ZeeSoh, especially taking Christmas into account, people prdicitng 400mil and less are imo just as silly as 800mil, 1bil, etc predicitions.

Before release I was thinking 2.5-2.7b for this (I even entertained the idea of 3b if China was to explode). But with the China situation and looking at its performance in several markets like Japan and Dom, I no longer think 2.5-2.7 will happen. I still think 2b could happen but i'd like to see full OW numbers first. 

As for those saying 400m I'd like to think they are joking and I believe they are. But if they are serious then its lol worthy and I cannot do anything about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Before release I was thinking 2.5-2.7b for this (I even entertained the idea of 3b if China was to explode). But with the China situation and looking at its performance in several markets like Japan and Dom, I no longer think 2.5-2.7 will happen. I still think 2b could happen but i'd like to see full OW numbers first. 

As for those saying 400m I'd like to think they are joking and I believe they are. But if they are serious then its lol worthy and I cannot do anything about it. 

In regards to China, a tiny piece of good news is that the first film 'only' made 200mil there on its initial releasre, and even with the covid problems, i'm expecting more than that with this film.

Also who knows what the situation will be in China 3 or 4 weeks from now. I'm sure the film wont be going to streaming for a few months yet.

I feel like second weekend drop will be in low 30s (because low thur number and general backloadedness) and third weekend (around NYE) under 10%. That would mean (with beefed weekdays 26-30.12.) around 500M DOM at the end of the year

Some random Way of Wathoughts

- Sam Worthington was very good here. A more nuanced performance (even through mocap) than anything he did a decade ago.

- Conversely, animated Stephen Lang is somehow far less animated than non-animated Stephen Lang.

- Teenage Weaver worked. I fully bought into the performance.

- Simon Franglen contributed nothing new of value to the music of this world.

25 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Hopefully a 45-50mil Sarurday, and a 35-40mil Sunday.

I dont see why thats so impossible when the tracking thread have been saying how backloaded the pre-sakes were for the weekend.

Well, sure, but as we've been pondering - what if that's just the PLFs and everything else is sub-par and walk-ups don't materialize?