Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Am I the only person who doesn't think this film will do as well as the first one? The first film had the 3D appeal, technology was new and it was just cinematically, beautiful. Come 2015 and all that won't matter.

I do think the film will do well, maybe even pass 1b but not as well as the first. I'm probably gonna get hate posts for this but whatever. Come 2015 and we'll see.

No many people expect it to pass the first, but i must ask, what do you mean 'maybe' pass a billion????

As I already said it before, the backlash for this is going to be massive.

There is no way "they" allow Cameron to make a slam dunk three times in a row.

The funny thing will be Cameron's reactions to the backlash.

It s going to be epic, probably more than the movie itself.

• Like 1

Saying it's gonna drop from the first is not hating, it's being realistic. You just don't repeat such a phenomenal run. Yeah, i know Cameron did it twice in a row but this time it's a sequel (to a phenomenon - it bears repeating, T2 was not a sequel to a phenomenon, neither was Aliens), i doubt people will respond to more of the same as enthusiastically and in such numbers. It's still gonna do tons of money.

Edited by Elessar

Saying it's gonna drop from the first is not hating, it's being realistic. You just don't repeat such a phenomenal run. Yeah, i know Cameron did it twice in a row but this time it's a sequel (to a phenomenon - it bears repeating, T2 was not a sequel to a phenomenon, neither was Aliens), i doubt people will respond to more of the same as enthusiastically and in such numbers. It's still gonna do tons of money.

Who said it is?

As I already said it before, the backlash for this is going to be massive.

There is no way "they" allow Cameron to make a slam dunk three times in a row.

The funny thing will be Cameron's reactions to the backlash.

It s going to be epic, probably more than the movie itself.

The backlash will only be massive if Cameron delivers another CGI powerhouse as flat as a board. Edited by Shpongle

I mean the story, characters, and depth need to match its visual spectacle this time.

The whole point/message of Avatar is saying that pseudo-depth doesn't mean shit.Simplicity is good, it s efficient, it works.A forest is all Na'vis are needing, not some psychological, social insecurity and neurosis or other pseudo frailty to conquer, which accounts for depth in our era.
  • Like 3

The backlash will only be massive if Cameron delivers another CGI powerhouse as flat as a board...

I mean the story, characters, and depth need to match its visual spectacle this time.

People never cease to amaze me. Actually, fanboys-fangirls never cease to amaze me. Look, guys, I don't know if AVATAR 2 will decrease or increase, but you need stop thinking that mainstream audiences looking for escapism and spectacle care about "story, characters, and depth" in the pseudo-intellectual, pseudo-filmmaking student way that fanboys love to spout off about. I keep seeing this pervading belief among internet denizens that posits that mainstream audiences hated AVATAR because of lack of depth and cardboard characters. Nothing farther from the truth.

Avatar had amazing word of mouth that powered it to a 10 multiplier. Everyone I know, men and women, from 20 to 60, who are just regular, run of the mill moviegoers who don't know their Darth Vaders from their Dark Knights, loved the story and the characters.

Yes.

Believe it or not, they were moved by the plight of Jake and Neytiri, and they loved the messages explored in the film beyond the "shiny colors."

I know this is hard to believe because internet voices are really loud, and they love repeating the same spiel over and over again, foolishly thinking that their opinions are a reflection of audiences at large.

But they are not.

Otherwise, Transformers 2 would have flopped, since conventional wisdom (on the net) was that everyone hated the first. Transformers 3 would have also flopped, since the internet brigade was even louder about how much audiences supposedly hated part 2. And if the internet fanboys really reflected what audiences at large thought, Serenity and Cabin in the Woods would be billion dollar grossers, right?

Again, mainstream audiences are not in for the alleged complexly delienated characters and smart, realistic dialogue. They are in for broad strokes, familiar narrative conventions, compelling storytelling, and emotional resonance, which, whether you want to admit or not, Cameron delivers in spades. The special effects, action pyrotecnics, and grand spectacle are just icing on the cake.

Say that Cameron is a hack, a rip-off artist, a copycat, and a douchebag until you are blue in the face.

But stop pretending that people/mainstream audiences hated Avatar (and Titanic).

They did not.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 7

OK, lets take an objective look at Avatar characters. You`ll see that they are no flatter than Terminator ones. terminator has an evil robot,s that`s flat as it gets. Then there was a stoic hero. He wants to protect the girl, no deep issues, layers,etc. Then there`s damsel in distress who falls in love with the hero. Now, this one was flat, what you get is what you see until the last scene in the movie that subverts the whole damsel-in-distress/last survivor-of-a-slasher-horror subgenre. We never see the aftermath of survival except girl being in state of shock, police putting a blanket over her and that`s the end. She`ll never feel safe. Or some shit where everything looks fine like nothing happens and then a nasty twist. But this was actually a character development in a scene that lasted for under 5 minutes. You don`t fuck with this Sarah. Mother of the future is born.Now, in T2, he really gave her layers. The post traumatic stress syndrome that made her lose touch with her humanity and become a lousy mom. That sort of thing. So development of characters in Avatar sequels is a logical progression. And he has good track record with it. Sarah and Ripley in Aliens also evolved. I trust him with sequels. I`m not sure about making 3 movies back to back but I suppose he has a vision where he wants to take the story and characters so whatever.

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

People never cease to amaze me. Actually, fanboys-fangirls never cease to amaze me. Look, guys, I don't know if AVATAR 2 will decrease or increase, but you need stop thinking that mainstream audiences looking for escapism and spectacle care about "story, characters, and depth" in the pseudo-intellectual, pseudo-filmmaking student way that fanboys love to spout off about. I keep seeing this pervading belief among internet denizens that posits that mainstream audiences hated AVATAR because of lack of depth and cardboard characters. Nothing farther from the truth.

Avatar had amazing word of mouth that powered it to a 10 multiplier. Everyone I know, men and women, from 20 to 60, who are just regular, run of the mill moviegoers who don't know their Darth Vaders from their Dark Knights, loved the story and the characters.

Yes.

Believe it or not, they were moved by the plight of Jake and Neytiri, and they loved the messages explored in the film beyond the "shiny colors."

I know this is hard to believe because internet voices are really loud, and they love repeating the same spiel over and over again, foolishly thinking that their opinions are a reflection of audiences at large.

But they are not.

Otherwise, Transformers 2 would have flopped, since conventional wisdom (on the net) was that everyone hated the first. Transformers 3 would have also flopped, since the internet brigade was even louder about how much audiences supposedly hated part 2. And if the internet fanboys really reflected what audiences at large thought, Serenity and Cabin in the Woods would be billion dollar grossers, right?

Again, mainstream audiences are not in for the alleged complexly delienated characters and smart, realistic dialogue. They are in for broad strokes, familiar narrative conventions, compelling storytelling, and emotional resonance, which, whether you want to admit or not, Cameron delivers in spades. The special effects, action pyrotecnics, and grand spectacle are just icing on the cake.

Say that Cameron is a hack, a rip-off artist, a copycat, and a douchebag until you are blue in the face.

But stop pretending that people/mainstream audiences hated Avatar (and Titanic).

They did not.

This. Icing on the cake = the anti-Winsome Whedom Worshipers rant! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
  • Like 1