Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

31 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Disney has been gun shy after Eternals early reviews backfired so spectacularly on them.

It will be mighty impressive if this scores higher than Wakanda Forever but I doubt it. 

I dunno abour WF? I mean the thing is CBMs have a lot of critics that only do CBMs or are atleast biased towards CBMs inflating scores and then you have BP which is held in very high regard even by more traditional critics (in the US anyway, I think overseas people don't really rate it that high though still a good film) so you kinda have the best of both worlds for it.

A1 had great critical reception at the time but since it has become kinda hip to hate on it since yea I think it's possible critics don't have it higher than WF. But without knowing the film it's kind of just a shot in the dark I guess.

As long as it gets good reviews I don't really see it as a problem even if it is below WF or whatever though, WF reviews are pretty good.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Disney has been gun shy after Eternals early reviews backfired so spectacularly on them.

It will be mighty impressive if this scores higher than Wakanda Forever but I doubt it. 

This aint scoring lower than WF. People are getting sick of superhero movies to the point this will be looked on more favourably. Aside from a nice send off for Boseman, WF is just another standard marvel movie, not great, not shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

This looks better than all the trailer and it's not even HD

I agree that (TV Spot/Youtube trailer?) is the most plot driven advert we've seen for this movie so far and it looks very good. I'm still confident this will be a high quality movie, which does make me wish reviews were dropping a little earlier (Monday morning would be perfect to ramp up last week presales), but if marketing is anything to go by I think Disney do want to keep spoilers from dropping too early.  Either way it's Christmas legs and word of mouth legs that will mostly carry this. The original Avatar was the reason I signed up to Box Office Mojo in 2010 when I was 13, so needless to say this is my most anticipated tracking box office run since I joined the forums. I (kinda embarrassingly) also think my username was Avatarfan when I joined too. I'm pretty neutral when it comes to film franchises but until proven otherwise I have the utmost confidence that James Cameron will get the whole world under his spell once again. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I agree that (TV Spot/Youtube trailer?) is the most plot driven advert we've seen for this movie so far and it looks very good. I'm still confident this will be a high quality movie, which does make me wish reviews were dropping a little earlier (Monday morning would be perfect to ramp up last week presales), but if marketing is anything to go by I think Disney do want to keep spoilers from dropping too early.  Either way it's Christmas legs and word of mouth legs that will mostly carry this. The original Avatar was the reason I signed up to Box Office Mojo in 2010 when I was 13, so needless to say this is my most anticipated tracking box office run since I joined the forums. I (kinda embarrassingly) also think my username was Avatarfan when I joined too. I'm pretty neutral when it comes to film franchises but until proven otherwise I have the utmost confidence that James Cameron will get the whole world under his spell once again. 

Id happily watch this without reviews. I find some movies set me up with too high of expectations when reviews are out prior. It's like the sun, i shouldn't look at them befpre hand but I cannot help myself. 

I've just managed to book 9 IMAX 3d tickets on opening day. There's only 1 Imax in my town with just 3 showings per day and there seems to be plenty of seats left. Maybe I over esitmated how quickly people will rush out to grab tickets

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Yes, the late reveal date isn't ideal but I doubt the RT score will go below 90%,. Also, A2 is a pro-environmental movie, an agenda that so underrepresented on big screen , as compared to racial diversity. and sexuality. Critics will have a soft spot on this part.   

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve posted, but all this Avatar hype has got me really excited to see what’s coming! It’s bringing back memories from 2009/2010 and watching Avatar just surpass even the wildest of expectations, like “$500m seems possible at this point”. 

Bring on Dec 16 - I will be glued to my phone for the next couple of months 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, I think I realized in the last couple of days what would be THE single most irritating result for A2 domestically.  At least for me.

Something like, oh I dunno, 135/775 or 140/800.

Low enough in both OW and total as to not reach the expectations of the most fervent fans.

High DOM total, but not high enough to resolve what the overall ceiling of the franchise is currently.

Strong enough legs to all but ensure that we get TWO MORE YEARS OF THE ***EXACT SAME DISCUSSIONS*** as we've had the LAST ELEVEN YEARS with nary a resolution in sight.

*remembers he has this penciled in around 725-750 DOM total, but without a clue as to how it gets there*

That's exactly what's gonna happen, isn't it? :whosad:

• Sad 1

Just now, Porthos said:

You know, I think I realized in the last couple of days what would be THE single most irritating result for A2 domestically.  At least for me.

Something like, oh I dunno, 135/775 or 140/800.

Low enough in both OW and total as to not reach the expectations of the most fervent fans.

High DOM total, but not high enough to resolve what the overall ceiling of the franchise is currently.

Strong enough legs to all but ensure that we get TWO MORE YEARS OF THE ***EXACT SAME DISCUSSIONS*** as we've had the LAST ELEVEN YEARS with nary a resolution in sight.

*remembers he has this penciled in around 725-750 DOM total, but without a clue as to how it gets there*

That's exactly what's gonna happen, isn't it? :whosad:

absolutely not, those are some weak legs. Remember this will be more groundbreaking than the first movie

8 minutes ago, Robertron said:

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve posted, but all this Avatar hype has got me really excited to see what’s coming! It’s bringing back memories from 2009/2010 and watching Avatar just surpass even the wildest of expectations, like “$500m seems possible at this point”. 

Bring on Dec 16 - I will be glued to my phone for the next couple of months 😬

Welcome back. 😊

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Remember this will be more groundbreaking than the first movie

Well, not sure about that...

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

It's still a sequel, can't be that groundbreaking 🤷‍♂️

Some sequels were though.

Edited by Firepower

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's still a sequel, can't be that groundbreaking 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Well, not sure about that...

• The most prepared Jim has ever been by a massive margin. He usually just jumps straight in with his script and works from there.
  • Groundbreaking visuals are a given, they'll well ahead of their time just like the first. It matches Avatar there. But the leaps forward in animation are crazy for this film. The amount of facial shots with high emotion need next level CGI
  • every single thing i've heard from cast & Jim points to it being even more groundbreaking than the first. Sigourney literally said the exact words she thinks its more groundbreaking than the first in the 27 minute fandango interview. Sam thinks so too.
Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You're right, and I certainly won't argue that. I guess I always feel like there's going to be some subsection of the audience out there that won't return for whatever reason, but obviously who's to say for sure what's going to happen here

I'm curious myself, I think those who don't want to return could return if WOM is very strong.

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You're right, and I certainly won't argue that. I guess I always feel like there's going to be some subsection of the audience out there that won't return for whatever reason, but obviously who's to say for sure what's going to happen here

The detractors are really only on the English speaking internet. It's been going for other a decade so the only way to fix it will be Avatar 2 in cinemas and blowing minds.

The rest of the world will be just fine regardless