Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

9 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Japan is the most shocking thing about this run. It's literally going to drop like 80% with no restrictions/issues. 

Any theory why you think its doing bad in Japan?

Spoiler

I honstly cant see it being anything to do with whaling like some are saying on here.

Just now, european1992 said:

CGI in this is so great that it makes every Marvel movie look like a cartoon honestly.

Nothing comes close to be honest. In fact i'd argue its an even bigger jump than the first movie was at the time.

The Navi just, you just instantly forget they are not real. And the water, wow. Water is so hard to do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Hide contents

I honstly cant see it being anything to do with whaling like some are saying on here.

I think the Japanese market has just moved on from it. More than any other market, Japan has a very insular taste in films. Yes you can have breakouts like TGM but for whatever reason it appears that Avatar was a film of the moment for them. I don't think the issue you mentioned is a major factor at all. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Corpse put out this list which pretty much says it all.

>Common precedent of sequels to high performing predecessors declining.
>No novelty factor to bring in casuals. (Seeing films, any film, in 3D was a huge craze in Japan from 2010-2012 until it died.)
>No notable home video sales or TV broadcast ratings for the original. (Suggests audiences were lukewarm to it.)
>13 year wait. (Japan's demographics have changed/aged a good bit since then, pop. decline)
>Disney release. (They're really, really, really struggling in Japan.)

Would add that the film is basically only selling well on IMAX there and Japan has very little of them - only something in the 40s nationwide iirc.

I didn't expect it would do this poorly, but I am not shocked. Had long been worried that this would play poorly in Japan (although I still thought it wouldn't play this poorly).

Just now, JustLurking said:

Corpse put out this list which pretty much says it all.

Would add that the film is basically only selling well on IMAX there and Japan has very little of them - only something in the 40s nationwide iirc.

I didn't expect it would do this poorly, but I am not shocked. Had long been worried that this would play poorly in Japan (although I still thought it wouldn't play this poorly).

maybe they just don't like water

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Something I noticed is that on the Quorum site's interest score for Avatar 2 dips down at the start of december. Apprently people around that point became less interested in the film.

Anyone got any ideas what happened there?

somehting happened between the 28th of Nov and 8th of Dec.

Off the top of my head there was the reactions on the 6th, and the right wing attack on Jim for being anti-testosterone

16 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

I don't think that's conservative.

To be honest it would embarrassing for it to do less than twice of the original's multiplier. Nobody outside Jimbo expects x10-11 multiplier, but x5 should be feasible.

Edited by Firepower