Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 year release date gap sweet spot. The best time to release a sequel is generally 2 years after the first movie. If it had been released in 2011, a lot of people (especially in overseas markets) would be more interested. In the meantime we have gotten other franchises to care about. People went to Avatar because it was supposed to be an incredible cinematic experience, in the meantime we have had movies like Inception, Gravity and Interstellar to do that for us. And at last, there is the decline in interest in 3D. Avatar started a 3D hype, but it's been on a decline since every major movie gets a 3D release next to its normal release.

Gravity, Inception, and Interstellar didn't have even a fraction of the success and pop culture saturation of Avatar. And whether haters want to admit it or not, Avatar had characters that audiences loved. Sure, this post will totally get a bunch of "Please! Nobody cares about Avatar's characters!!" responses, but guess what? I, like millions others, enjoyed the film because we rooted for Neytiri and Jake. Of course, detractors will never admit to it because they can't attack the movie on any other front. All they have to go on with is the inaccurate "nobody cares about the characters" chant. However, an action/fantasy film won't do close to 3 billion dollars if audiences don't care about what the characters go through. Sorry, haters!

• Like 1

Gravity, Inception, and Interstellar didn't have even a fraction of the success and pop culture saturation of Avatar. And whether haters want to admit it or not, Avatar had characters that audiences loved. Sure, this post will totally get a bunch of "Please! Nobody cares about Avatar's characters!!" responses, but guess what? I, like millions others, enjoyed the film because we rooted for Neytiri and Jake. Of course, detractors will never admit to it because they can't attack the movie on any other front. All they have to go on with is the inaccurate "nobody cares about the characters" chant. However, an action/fantasy film won't do close to 3 billion dollars if audiences don't care about what the characters go through. Sorry, haters!

My post was about what made people go to theaters. I bet you did not go to the theater because you heard Avatar had really intricate characters with a beautiful story that will make you root for them. Everyone went to Avatar because it was one of those in-theater experiences.

Over the past years, there has always been room for an 'original' effects spectacle in theaters. Avatar 2 will be a sequel to, and it won't come of as a unique experience like the first one did.

My post was about what made people go to theaters. I bet you did not go to the theater because you heard Avatar had really intricate characters with a beautiful story that will make you root for them. Everyone went to Avatar because it was one of those in-theater experiences.

No. I went to see Avatar because a bunch of female friends of mine who could care less about F/X told me that they loved the characters and the romance in the film. Ad they also went to see the film for the same reason. They also told me that they were enraptured by the characters' plight. After I saw the film, I totally understood why they felt like that, and I proceeded to see the film 4 more times in theatres for that same reason. Not to see shiny colors or to be dazzled by 3D, but to see Jake and Neytiri's story unfold before my eyes again.

See, characters don't have to be intricate or profound or complex for audiences to connect with them. All they have to be is vivid and relateable.

So, to say that "Everyone went to Avatar because it was one of those in-theater experiences" is not entirely accurate because, at least on my neck of the woods, there is a bunch of female moviegoers who didn't go to see the film to watch this supossed event. We went to see it because we had been promised a gorgeous romantic experience that was touching and heartbreaking. And just like what happened with Titanic, that was Avatar's secret box office weapon: simple storytelling, universally relateable characters, and a central story that a WHOLE LOT OF women loved.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

No. I went to see Avatar because a bunch of female friends of mine who could care less about F/X told me that they loved the characters and the romance in the film. Ad they also went to see the film for the same reason. They also told me that they were enraptured by the characters' plight. After I saw the film, I totally understood why they felt like that, and I proceeded to see the film 4 more times in theatres for that same reason. Not to see shiny colors or to be dazzled by 3D, but to see Jake and Neytiri's story unfold before my eyes again.

See, characters don't have to be intricate or profound or complex for audiences to connect with them. All they have to be is vivid and relateable.

So, to say that "Everyone went to Avatar because it was one of those in-theater experiences" is not entirely accurate because, at least on my neck of the woods, there is a bunch of female moviegoers who didn't go to see the film to watch this supossed event. We went to see it because we had been promised a gorgeous romantic experience that was touching and heartbreaking. And just like what happened with Titanic, that was Avatar's secret box office weapon: simple storytelling, universally relateable characters, and a central story that a WHOLE LOT OF women loved.

Thats a really beautiful sentiment. The power of love.

Mess.

I wanted Neytiri to scalp his wack ass. Same for Rodriguez's and Weaver's characters. He was so extra.

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt

Over the past years, there has always been room for an 'original' effects spectacle in theaters. Avatar 2 will be a sequel to, and it won't come of as a unique experience like the first one did.

People wont sit through almost 3 hours of special effects if they don't care about the story or characters. Sure, it basically shares the same story as other films like Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves but guess what, people loved them films too. I do agree the sequel wont be as gigantic as the first, but that's pretty much a given and has nothing to do with people not enjoying the first.

You have weird friends.. I don't buy into this seeing a movie like AVATAR for the romance and characters.. They're a lot of other movies you could see for that factor alone and AVATAR wasn't one of them.. It was clearly an FX driven movie that won the general public over with the 3D.. Now something like TITANIC??? Yeah, I could buy into your friends seeing that movie for the romance an characters... Just not AVATAR and I'm not hating either before you level me..

Plenty of films have great visuals but none managed to earn close to 3b from that alone. Clearly what you are saying is inaccurate

• Like 2

People wont sit through almost 3 hours of special effects if they don't care about the story or characters. Sure, it basically shares the same story as other films like Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves but guess what, people loved them films too. I do agree the sequel wont be as gigantic as the first, but that's pretty much a given and has nothing to do with people not enjoying the first.

Plenty of films have great visuals but none managed to earn close to 3b from that alone. Clearly what you are saying is inaccurate

BKB doesn't understand that to make 2.7B a movie needs to sell to the 4 quads and not only have great visuals.

Altought no one that I know says I love Avatar, they all say it's a good movie. Their are almost no people who say it was bad. But on the other hand, their are not much people who will say it's the best film I have ever seen.

And the boxoffice succes of the 2nd is assured, I have more fear for the 3rd one. (If the second one isn't that good)

Edited by pepsa

Sorry, but this particular movie sold the 3D Visuals to those 4 Quadrants you speak of... You don't know what your talking about just like the rest of you and the herd and it's been debated a 1000 X over and it's old now and yet so obvious it was true...

I keep saying this, why would Avatar become the biggest selling blue ray release of all time if people only watched it for '3d visuals'???

Edited by jessie
  • Like 2

They didn't have the 3D Visuals like what Cameron gave though, so it is accurate... Every film after AVATAR that attempted to copy the 3D format wasn't near as good as what AVATAR was and that began with Alice in Wonderland and went downhill from there...

we've already established this is partly bullshit hence 3d has been around before avatar was released and if it really was just the 3d selling the film, why didn't Alice have amazing legs too? People rushed to Alice hoping for a great cinematic experience but it didn't have great WOM because people didn't relate to the story or characters. Just admit it wasn't 'just' the 3d that sold the movie.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 2

Sorry, but this particular movie sold the 3D Visuals to those 4 Quadrants you speak of... You don't know what your talking about just like the rest of you and the herd and it's been debated a 1000 X over and it's old now and yet so obvious it was true...

Where was The Avengers 2.7B? So you are saying that Avengers had poor 3D visuals?

• Like 1

we've already established this is partly bullshit hence 3d has been around before avatar was released and if it really was just the 3d selling the film, why didn't Alice have amazing legs too? People rushed to Alice hoping for a great cinematic experience but it didn't have great WOM because people didn't relate to the story or characters. Just admit it wasn't 'just' the 3d that sold the movie.

He can't. Anything to put Avatar down. Its so easy to see, a movie doesn't make 2.7B on 3D visuals alone, I bet he will say the only thing that sold Titanic is its 200M price tag. Like you said where were the 2.7B movies with 3D in the past.

• Like 2

You can't deny that the 3D had something to do with the succes. It was only a factor but I did play his role. I mean avatar is the only movie I know that came on the news, they were speaking about the new evolution to 3rd, new ways of film experience and in belgium that was a factor. I mean the news normaly never speaks about movies but with avatar it was like on the news for 1 week and than when it set records again. So yeah a great film, with enovation and a huge hype, credits to cameron!

You can't deny that the 3D had something to do with the succes. It was only a factor but I did play his role. I mean avatar is the only movie I know that came on the news, they were speaking about the new evolution to 3rd, new ways of film experience and in belgium that was a factor. I mean the news normaly never speaks about movies but with avatar it was like on the news for 1 week and than when it set records again. So yeah a great film, with enovation and a huge hype, credits to cameron!

TDAT had a lot of news during release given the global warming crisis but that didn't really help. This was only hitting the news after its 3rd weekend if I remember correctly, they were late to the game.