Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

30 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The year China box office overtakes Hollywood,

Avatar 3 will make $1 billion in China alone.

USD will also have tanked thanks to Trump, Avatar will make atleast $4bil thanks it xchange.

:slaphead:

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Let's keep the Trump talk out of this thread, please. :) 

Sorry, I do think it's worth speculating that Jim slowed down production to wait for a more favorable ecnomic climate.

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Sorry, I do think it's worth speculating that Jim slowed down production to wait for a more favorable ecnomic climate.

I don't think that was foremost in his mind at all. I think the delay's been breaking a story that initially he thought might be a couple of movies but turned into four -- all while overseeing pre-production/concept art.

He's got a big ego and I know he expects to have big box-office successes... but I also think he expects to achieve that through his creativity, not by wrangling economic issues which are hard to fully predict a year out, let alone several.

20 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The obsession with people trying to prove Avatar is a nothing movie everybody has forgotten is amusing.

The main people clamoring for this movie are those who are salivating over how much money it's going to make.

Think about that.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The main people clamoring for this movie are those who are salivating over how much money it's going to make.

Think about that.

I think there's plenty of genuine interest and curiosity in the industry and amongst the nerd-crowd (witness how rapidly the news burst and spread this morning... Variety scrambled to get a piece up so fast it was basically a glorified one-sentence "article" for awhile). In terms of the general audience -- sure, they don't have a clue and don't care. And they won't, until the first full trailers start pounding it down their throat. Then it's all on Cameron's name, track record, and visuals... and who wants to challenge that, at this point?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I don't think that was foremost in his mind at all. I think the delay's been breaking a story that initially he thought might be a couple of movies but turned into four -- all while overseeing pre-production/concept art.

He's got a big ego and I know he expects to have big box-office successes... but I also think he expects to achieve that through his creativity, not by wrangling economic issues which are hard to fully predict a year out, let alone several.

I agree it wouldn't be a main reason.

I just think he could be pretty lax about the release dates because there is no rush. Imagin how much Avatar 5 will rack up in China in 2023.

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Think about that.

I would rather it be the best thing I've ever watched and it bomb.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

until the first full trailers start pounding it down their throat. Then it's all on Cameron's name, track record, and visuals... and who wants to challenge that, at this point?

First trailer is going drop like an atomic bomb.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I think there's plenty of genuine interest and curiosity in the industry and amongst the nerd-crowd (witness how rapidly the news burst and spread this morning... Variety scrambled to get a piece up so fast it was basically a glorified one-sentence "article" for awhile). In terms of the general audience -- sure, they don't have a clue and don't care. And they won't, until the first full trailers start pounding it down their throat. Then it's all on Cameron's name, track record, and visuals... and who wants to challenge that, at this point?

Obviously that would be me.

I think a fair question to ask is how much the sequel is going to drop off from the original.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Obviously that would be me.

I think a fair question to ask is how much the sequel is going to drop off from the original.

Maybe 20-30%. I think the sequel probably grosses in the TFA range. After that it's all up to the quality of the movies.

Just now, Telemachos said:

Maybe 20-30%. I think the sequel probably grosses in the TFA range. After that it's all up to the quality of the movies.

Are you going by Worldwide? That depends a whole lot on what happens to the dollar.

I actually think the dollar might appreciate significantly in the next few years, considering some instability in other world economies.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Are you going by Worldwide? That depends a whole lot on what happens to the dollar.

I actually think the dollar might appreciate significantly in the next few years, considering some instability in other world economies.

I was basically taking a domestic drop and then figuring expansion of some markets would partially counter any huge drops in others. I think I'm being relatively conservative here.