Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

• Community Manager
Just now, Telemachos said:

Well, yes, but c'mon -- S T A R W A R S ! It was guaranteed to be a monster hit. Surely the concept of interwoven storylines could've been introduced. Heck, even the MATRIX sequels were doing it.

Sure but I think you forget that Lucas saw each film as its own serial. That's how he structured the stories: I think he didn't interwove the stories on purpose, not because he couldn't do it. 

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Sure but I think you forget that Lucas saw each film as its own serial. That's how he structured the stories: I think he didn't interwove the stories on purpose, not because he couldn't do it. 

Continuing the digression... ( :lol: )

...that's not really what I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about building a cohesive universe that the story plays out in. Heck, there's more connective tissue with EMPIRE and JEDI than the PTs (even if you take out the Han Solo cliffhanger/rescue bits). Minor minor example: During TPM, we repeatedly see the Jedi Council talk about various things. In AOTC, which takes place several years after TPM, we learn about Jedi Master Sifo Dyas, who used to be on the Jedi Council until he left under mysterious circumstances around the same point in time as the events of TPM! Yet not only do we never see Sifo Dyas in TPM, he's never even mentioned. This doesn't have anything to do with serializing the story, it just feels awkward -- like a sequel shoehorning characters and events together that were never thought of in the original.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Continuing the digression... ( :lol: )

...that's not really what I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about building a cohesive universe that the story plays out in. Heck, there's more connective tissue with EMPIRE and JEDI than the PTs (even if you take out the Han Solo cliffhanger/rescue bits). Minor minor example: During TPM, we repeatedly see the Jedi Council talk about various things. In AOTC, which takes place several years after TPM, we learn about Jedi Master Sifo Dyas, who used to be on the Jedi Council until he left under mysterious circumstances around the same point in time as the events of TPM! Yet not only do we never see Sifo Dyas in TPM, he's never even mentioned. This doesn't have anything to do with serializing the story, it just feels awkward -- like a sequel shoehorning characters and events together that were never thought of in the original.

Yeah...but...but....Leia being Luke's twin sister was shoehorned in!

Okay I get your point. 

• Like 1

Category: Feature Film
Genre: Action / Adventure / Drama / Fantasy / Sci-Fi
Shoot Date: September 15, 2016
Story: 

Jake Sully permanently transfers his consciousness to his Na'vi avatar and begins a new life with Princess Neytiri after they defeat the human colonizers.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2016 at 1:59 PM, cookieleeann said:

I will never doubt James Cameron again. He seems to always deliver. This time will be no different. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 1st film but I'm actually looking forward to the sequel.

We will bury these so called taking Cameron's throne films that always falling short of Titanic and avatar. Lol infact we will bury avatar I as well. Thought avatar was the greatest movie experience I've had since Titanic. It surpassed my JP, Superman I, Indiana Jones 3 and 1977 sws anh experiences by far. That's saying something.

Edited by Kalel009Shel
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2016 at 3:02 PM, Elessar said:

There's absolutely no risk of losing money. They are the sequels to the biggest movie ever (unadjusted), the director is Jim *frigging* Cameron. They might not hit a home run again but losing money? Nah...

I second that elessar. 

On 4/19/2016 at 6:39 AM, IronJimbo said:

See you at the Avatar 2 opening weekend mate.

Bringing our avatar hits over 1b domestic and over 2.8b OS shirts as well my friend. God willing these earthquakes will settle down so all will be safe and free to show what a true omega class level film is all about:wub:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Bringing our avatar hits over 1b domestic and over 2.8b OS shirts as well my friend. God willing these earthquakes will settle down so all will be safe and free to show what a true omega class level film is all about:wub:

$1b China(Domestic), Jim has a special deal to allow for over 1 month.

$800m in North America.

$2b rest of the world

We're looking a combined total of $22,000,000,000,000 here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnboy3434 said:

I know it's too early to start a club, but the second we hit the one-year-out marker, I'm starting an "Avatar 2 under Avatar 1 WW" club.

That would still be the second highest grossing film of all time, sequel to the film which changed cinema as we know it.

It will be closer to 3.5b than 2.8b

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That would still be the second highest grossing film of all time, sequel to the film which changed cinema as we know it.

Tell me: How exactly did it change cinema? It wasn't in writing. It wasn't in acting. It wasn't in sound design or music. The cinematography was good, but nothing groundbreaking. The special effects were also good, but weren't any more realistic than stuff that came before (Davy Jones from the PotC films, for example). The 3D was wonderful, but is a successfully deployed gimmick really "changing cinema as we know it"?

This movie will not make $3 billion. Mark my words and quote me in 2018. It'll probably be a lot less than that when all's said and done, but I'm playing it safe. Now, be straight with me: Are you and Kal going to be man enough to admit you were wrong if that happens?

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2016 at 10:55 AM, jj99 said:

Story: 

Jake Sully permanently transfers his consciousness to his Na'vi avatar and begins a new life with Princess Neytiri after they defeat the human colonizers.

Nice

Story: 

Nice

Cool facts on how avatar took story, sound ,visuals and just giving the world something inspiring

Love the açcolades

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Avatar_(2009_film)

Story: 

Nice

Cool facts on how avatar took story, sound ,visuals and just giving the world something inspiring

Love the açcolades

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Avatar_(2009_film)

5 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

I know it's too early to start a club, but the second we hit the one-year-out marker, I'm starting an "Avatar 2 under Avatar 1 WW" club.

What a waste of forum space. At least make a club that is a little more daring, like Avatar 2 under TFA WW or somehing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

Tell me: How exactly did it change cinema? It wasn't in writing. It wasn't in acting. It wasn't in sound design or music. The cinematography was good, but nothing groundbreaking. The special effects were also good, but weren't any more realistic than stuff that came before (Davy Jones from the PotC films, for example). The 3D was wonderful, but is a successfully deployed gimmick really "changing cinema as we know it"?

This movie will not make $3 billion. Mark my words and quote me in 2018. It'll probably be a lot less than that when all's said and done, but I'm playing it safe. Now, be straight with me: Are you and Kal going to be man enough to admit you were wrong if that happens?

I actually agree, it's a just a crappy gimmick! However since every blockbuster now uses gimmick it's now a part of cinema, just like other shitty gimmicks. These other gimmicks include sound and colour.

I miss the silent era, true cinema.

Edited by IronJimbo