Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

I feel the danger in shooting these 4 films concurrently is a risk. 

That the vault worth of money made on Avatar could possibly lead to a false sense of lasting fandom.

Sometimes the GA is on the same page as the internet movie boards, sometimes it's not.

If only the anecdotal folks don't show up and GA still cares, then they will have done well.

However, if the GA has lost it's luster with Avatar and doesn't care to come back like we see on FB threads, YouTube Comments and MSG boards then money could be lost. 

LOTR was a risk and it paid off, 3 films at once. No sure thing it would take off, built in book audience or not but it had generations of those. Avatar does not have generations of fans that grew up on the material. 

That's Fox's problem, not Cameron's. (And it sounds like Fox has been pretty savvy about how they're putting this all together anyway).

On 4/16/2016 at 5:54 PM, Telemachos said:

Re-posting this here because I suspect this is gonna be extremely relevant to the AVATAR sequels... Ang Lee's new movie was made for extremely high-end, essentially experimental projection -- 120fps, 4K, 3D. It sounds astonishing and likely something Cameron will pursue for his projects (he feels that 60fps gets you close enough). Note: no theaters today can project 4K 3D at 120fps.

11 minutes of it screened today at NAB.

TwJZw97m_normal.jpg Variety_DSCohen
Have just seen the first showing of the 3D/4K/120 "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" footage. NO SPOILERS (more)
4/16/16, 1:14 PM

jt9ge4l92ZUVJarAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Variety_DSCohen
First, let's say up front, it's causing a sensation here at the Future of Cinema Conference #NABShow People are super-excited.
4/16/16, 1:14 PM

jt9ge4l92ZUVJarAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== Variety_DSCohen
It was a helluva power room watching that first showing: "Avatar" producer Jon Landau, @ILMVFX legend Dennis Muren, and many more. #NABshow
4/16/16, 1:15 PM

Doug Trumbull had a big group in the VIP section for the first showing. His reax: It's going to change the industry. #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:16 PM

Wd7XrAmxepRoGY9OpaR3LGyFXQE1JpqftYY0h8FU Variety_DSCohen
Dennis Muren was grinning ear to ear when he congratulated Ang Lee afterward. #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:16 PM

My reax: First, it doesn't look like video, but it doesn't look like 24-frame film, either. It's something new. (more) #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:17 PM

Second: This isn't just a novelty, or tech for tech's sake. Perfect match of material with format. This clarity = storytelling. #NABshow
4/16/16, 1:18 PM

I don't know the future, but this seems to me like it really is something to bring people back to theaters. #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:29 PM

jt9ge4l92ZUVJarAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Variety_DSCohen
FWIW, @JimCameron told me he thinks 60 frames/second is enough, which means many people could see something close to what we saw. #NABShow
4/16/16, 1:33 PM

.@HowardLukk after seeing the "Billy Lynn" footage: "Stunned... the best #3D I've ever seen... absolutely amazing. #NABShow
4/16/16, 2:15 PM

General consensus on 3D/4K/120 is: feels like video for the first few seconds, but then it goes way beyond. #3D feels flawless. #NABShow
4/16/16, 2:16 PM

Tech tidbit: I'm told that at 120 fps, digital noise goes by so fast you can't even perceive it. Less need to clean it up. #NABShow
4/16/16, 2:17 PM

This really does feel like being present for history being made, like people will be bragging about having been here. #NABShow
4/16/16, 2:27 PM

Full 4K on each eye, both eyes at 120fps. Presentation was on dual high-end Christie projectors, 28 foot-Lamberts. https://t.co/ju8y455MUC
4/16/16, 2:32 PM

I don't care about Avatar but this sounds super intriguing. Would love to see this footage if Ang Lee really did reinvent the game.

8 hours ago, somebody85 said:

I don't care about Avatar but this sounds super intriguing. Would love to see this footage if Ang Lee really did reinvent the game.

See you at the Avatar 2 opening weekend mate.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It won't be fair to Star Wars but its gonna be fair to all the other films going for a December release date that Rent star wada. Fucking bullshit

He was joking!

He followed up by saying it would be stupid to release on the same date as SWS and that it would be bad business for both parties.

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Yeah, I'm sure Disney is willing to sink the cool billion they spent of Avatarland just to spite James Cameron.

Shit yeah, a billiion is a lot in SWS money. They wouldn't do that.

• Like 1

I love how someone in here purposely cut the full quote down Cameron in a meme while trying to pretend to be a Cameron fan lol

Just proof they are trying to just cause trouble :P

Here's that whole quote 

“ don’t want to land on the same date as one of the ‘Star Wars’ sequels. That wouldn’t be fair to them,” Cameron laughs. “No, that’s just good business. I don’t want to go head-to-head with ‘Star Wars’. That would be stupid. And hopefully they won’t want to go head-to-head with us.”

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, 75live said:

I love how someone in here purposely cut the full quote down Cameron in a meme while trying to pretend to be a Cameron fan lol

Here's that whole quote 

“ don’t want to land on the same date as one of the ‘Star Wars’ sequels. That wouldn’t be fair to them,” Cameron laughs. “No, that’s just good business. I don’t want to go head-to-head with ‘Star Wars’. That would be stupid. And hopefully they won’t want to go head-to-head with us.”

Yep, both Cameron and Disney know that putting SW and Avatar head to head is negative for both franchises.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Yep, both Cameron and Disney know that putting SW and Avatar head to head is negative for both franchises.

Exactly. It's not rocket science to know to avoid each other :P

Edited by 75live

1 hour ago, 75live said:

Here's that whole quote 

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

He was joking!

He followed up by saying it would be stupid to release on the same date as SWS and that it would be bad business for both parties.