Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

China is the domestic market... for Chinese productions. It will never be the domestic market for US productions, although if a Chinese production company makes a movie and a US studio decides to distribute it internationally, you could make an argument for that being considered a Chinese domestic production.

47 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

China is the domestic market... for Chinese productions. It will never be the domestic market for US productions, although if a Chinese production company makes a movie and a US studio decides to distribute it internationally, you could make an argument for that being considered a Chinese domestic production.

Why do we call it domestic then, we're not American producers :o

I moved to Pandora when I was a child.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Uh, no, I don't think there are many movie producers on this forum. But the studio that makes Avatar is American, therefore America is the domestic territory. Not 100% sure what is so difficult to grasp...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Because domestic means home county and the US and Canada have great relationship are board countries.  I do think Canada does keep track of its box office. 

7 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Uh, no, I don't think there are many movie producers on this forum. But the studio that makes Avatar is American, therefore America is the domestic territory. Not 100% sure what is so difficult to grasp...

Early days, Jim was holding talks in China last year. Lightstorm could move to China and make Avatar a true Domestic release.

Jim hates Hollywood and left America in disgust when George Bush became President! He is basically Kiwi at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Early days, Jim was holding talks in China last year. Lightstorm could move to China and make Avatar a true Domestic release.

Jim hates Hollywood and left America in disgust when George Bush became President! He is basically Kiwi at this point.

:kitschjob:

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Uh, none of that is true. Cameron lives in Malibu with his wife and kids. She runs an eco-friendly, sustainable K-12 private school in Calabasas.

seppuku

I thought that private school was in NZ

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Which region has the highest grossing film of 2016 and by what margin?

Doesn't matter. The center of movie-making power is still in Hollywood. Is that changing? You could certainly make that argument. But it hasn't changed yet and it sure as Hell won't change in the span of three short years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Uh, none of that is true. Cameron lives in Malibu with his wife and kids. She runs an eco-friendly, sustainable K-12 private school in Calabasas.

Some of it is kinda true,

But despite living in California for more than 20 years, Cameron is still a Canadian national, so American politics are secondary to him and he can’t actually vote. He did apply for U.S. citizenship at one point, but then withdrew his application when George W. Bush won a second term as president in 2004.6

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Some of it is kinda true,

But despite living in California for more than 20 years, Cameron is still a Canadian national, so American politics are secondary to him and he can’t actually vote. He did apply for U.S. citizenship at one point, but then withdrew his application when George W. Bush won a second term as president in 2004.6

Referencing your posts. Good job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Chinese companies are buying out US studios. Wanda (who bought AMC a few years ago BTW) bought Legendary (for $3.5BN) a few months ago and there are news about big Viacom shareholder wanting to sell (a part of) Paramount to Alibaba. These defintely make that USA/China talk a bit more interesting.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1