Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

This was a joke right? Obviously! Mad Max was a plotless wonder with the most boring characters imaginable. 

And sorry but I'm with IronJimbo on Avatar over Gravity. To pretend that Gravity was some philosophical wonder of modern filmmaking is laughable. Gravity was a GOOD, solid visual movie I awarded a respectable B rating to but Bullock's "acting" with her woof woof sob sob sob woof woof scene alone was one of the worst things I've seen in cinema in 20 years. If it were Sharknado 7 maybe that would work but to hold Gravity up on a pedestal?! For WHAT? The unrealistic space action? It was just an action movie no more no less. Avatar was and is a far better movie than Gravity and it's not close.

Tell me: If you were about to die in space, would you be completely calm and collected?

You can criticize Gravity for many things, but Bullock turned in an excellent performance.

6 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Tell me: If you were about to die in space, would you be completely calm and collected?

You can criticize Gravity for many things, but Bullock turned in an excellent performance.

Technically, don't we all die in space?

• Like 2

On 12/19/2016 at 3:07 PM, IronJimbo said:

Makes you wonder if Mechs will ever be actually used in combat, I don't think so but exoskeleton suits will be.

273426dz.jpg

You lack imagination.  Exoskeletons will be a start, but don't be surprised when Mechs come it.  People like the one in video are trying hard to bring mechs to reality, whether for commercial purposes or for war.  Whether its Front Mission or Mechwarrior or Gundam.

On 19/12/2016 at 11:51 PM, Cochofles said:

The Avengers was the most creative film of 2012?

Iron Man 3 was the most creative film of 2013?

Ok.

He's right, name one other movie as visually creative as avatar? The planet was so rich with detail of animals and aliens never seen before, it was extremely inventive. It's imagery sold the movie afterall 

Edited by Jessie

On 20/12/2016 at 11:39 AM, JonathanLB said:

This was a joke right? Obviously! Mad Max was a plotless wonder with the most boring characters imaginable. 

And sorry but I'm with IronJimbo on Avatar over Gravity. To pretend that Gravity was some philosophical wonder of modern filmmaking is laughable. Gravity was a GOOD, solid visual movie I awarded a respectable B rating to but Bullock's "acting" with her woof woof sob sob sob woof woof scene alone was one of the worst things I've seen in cinema in 20 years. If it were Sharknado 7 maybe that would work but to hold Gravity up on a pedestal?! For WHAT? The unrealistic space action? It was just an action movie no more no less. Avatar was and is a far better movie than Gravity and it's not close.

Agree. I recommend any person who finds gravity amazing to watch buried, it packs in more tension in just a small box for an entire film than gravity managed with all the flashy effects jn the world. I can understand the best directing Oscars as it's extremely well made but I laugh when people get all pretentious and pretend it more than that, it's not.

2 hours ago, Klingo said:

You lack imagination.  Exoskeletons will be a start, but don't be surprised when Mechs come it.  People like the one in video are trying hard to bring mechs to reality, whether for commercial purposes or for war.  Whether its Front Mission or Mechwarrior or Gundam.

Don't get me wrong I love mechs and I've watched quite a few of the gundam series, I just think it will be hard to deviate away from tanks. The thing is with their simply shape they're much easier to reinforce and you can mount heavier guns.

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

Matrix did it before Cameron. Unless we are talking aliens 

Ripleys walker is iconic!

My favourite "stolen" Jim work were the vehicles in Avatar, halo fans came out and said it was a rip off.

Yet the morons didn't stop to consider that Halo was paying homage to Aliens.

"The funniest thing is when some of the so-called fanboys get up trashing Avatar for looking too much like Halo,"  he laughed during a recent interview with me that aired on X-Play. "It's like...pay attention. If I'm referencing anything, I'm referencing the source work for Halo, which is my own stuff. So I get to do that. Nobody else gets to do that, but I get to do that. My rule, anyway."

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Ripleys walker is iconic!

My favourite "stolen" Jim work were the vehicles in Avatar, halo fans came out and said it was a rip off.

"The funniest thing is when some of the so-called fanboys get up trashing Avatar for looking too much like Halo,"  he laughed during a recent interview with me that aired on X-Play. "It's like...pay attention. If I'm referencing anything, I'm referencing the source work for Halo, which is my own stuff. So I get to do that. Nobody else gets to do that, but I get to do that. My rule, anyway."

The ships in halo were identical and they even called the alien ships banshees in halo. What did halo copy? It certainly wasn't Cameron work.

Everyone copies everyone and every film takes cues from other media and previously established genres, movements, themes, and aesthetics.

Trashing Avatar for being "unoriginal" while praising the upteenth comic book movie adaptation is ridiculously ironic. Trashing Marvel films for being "by-the-numbers" while praising Avatar is ridiculously ironic. Praising La La Land for being "refreshing and boldly original" while trashing sequels, remakes, CBMs, and reboots for "Hollywood unoriginality" is ridiculously ironic. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

You finally posted a real Cameron quote, but this time it didnt come with a Cameron image? What happened to you IronJimbo? You used to be someone I could trust.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, vc2002 said:

You finally posted a real Cameron quote, but this time it didnt come with a Cameron image? What happened to you IronJimbo? You used to be someone I could trust.

Cameron is about to blow away box office again, lol VC.. He has earned the right to make up the rules as he goes VC 2. Can't wait to see if he breaks the domestic record for the third time in a row.?

• Like 2

On 12/20/2016 at 8:07 AM, IronJimbo said:

Never mentioned Gravity but Avatar is clearly the superior film! Gravity was a cool watch but nothing more.

Indeed, i mean we won't be talking about gravity ,force awakens, avengers, im3, 20,30,100yrs from now. James Camerons Avatar stands on a pedestal over films that are simultaneously involving all generations and pushing what is possible to do for the global movie audience experience at movies today. Can't wait to see the master has in store for us cochofles, iron one , Captain Jack.  Us pandorians  will give the people of earth a brand new awakening experience yet again. Lol @ the notion of comparing Avatar to gravity. Cameron may just get nearly 100 film awards again for the avatar sequel. Something merely mortal films could never do in this era.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Can't wait to see the master has in store for us cochofles, iron one , Captain Jack.  Us pandorians  will give the people of earth a brand new awakening experience yet again. Lol @ the notion of comparing Avatar to gravity. Cameron may just get nearly 100 film awards again for the avatar sequel. Something merely mortal films could never do in this era.

I am looking forward to what Cameron has in store for us!

No other science fiction film since Avatar (not Gravity, not Interstellar, not The Martian, not The Arrival, not The Force Awakens, not Rogue One) has captured my imagination, my brain and my heart the way Cameron's epic did. I certainly enjoyed all of those (except Interstellar), but Avatar was indeed in a league of its own.

• Like 2