Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

27 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Interesting news that SW is already done, it makes me wonder what exactly they will be working on when they get down to New Zealand. I guess that Sigourney will be playing a Navi if she had numerous underwater scenes? 

I think we can almost guarantee that those that are done are playing totally CG characters, I wonder if we're seeing more of Earth with what they're shooting now. 

A little bit of news from Stephen Lang this time. 

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/2018/10/stephen_lang_s_one_man_show_a_salute_to_veterans

b4ebfc66-d933-11e8-93f4-15b641ae4867.jpg

NEW YORK — On a break from filming the “Avatar” sequels and before Peter Jackson’s “Mortal Engines” opens, Stephen Lang arrives in North Andover with his acclaimed one-man show “Beyond Glory.”

As for Cameron’s decade-delayed “Avatar” sequels, “Jim kept me in the loop. I’ve even contributed ideas to it that were included.

“I go back in December and we go to New Zealand in the spring. We’re filming two and three simultaneously, four and five will follow.”

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

As for Cameron’s decade-delayed “Avatar” sequels, “Jim kept me in the loop. I’ve even contributed ideas to it that were included.

“I go back in December and we go to New Zealand in the spring. We’re filming two and three simultaneously, four and five will follow.”

So he is Quaritch  and SW isn't Grace. Interesting... glad he has had his ideas listened to though. Always encouraging. 

Oh, and Beyond Glory is great, highly recommended if any of you get a chance to catch it. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Realistically, according to BOM, the total worldwide box office for 2009 and 2010 (of all films that made at least $1m and BOM recorded) was $24.5B for both, therefore we can say that Avatar made 11.3% of the total Worldwide BO for a year. 

Nowadays, the worldwide box office was:

2015: $29.5B

2016: $30.3B

2017: $31.8B

This means by 2020, the global box office (that BOM tracks) might be around $36B, so just from that, if Avatar 2 has the same culturally effect as A1, then perhaps it can reach 11.3% of the current market, i.e. $4.1B

However it should be noted that in 2008 the yearly total was $21.9B. Therefore it's clear that Avatar had a massive effect on the BO's trajectory. Perhaps because of this, A2 could go even higher than $4.1B.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, feasby007 said:

Realistically, according to BOM, the total worldwide box office for 2009 and 2010 (of all films that made at least $1m and BOM recorded) was $24.5B for both, therefore we can say that Avatar made 11.3% of the total Worldwide BO for a year. 

Nowadays, the worldwide box office was:

2015: $29.5B

2016: $30.3B

2017: $31.8B

This means by 2020, the global box office (that BOM tracks) might be around $36B, so just from that, if Avatar 2 has the same culturally effect as A1, then perhaps it can reach 11.3% of the current market, i.e. $4.1B

However it should be noted that in 2008 the yearly total was $21.9B. Therefore it's clear that Avatar had a massive effect on the BO's trajectory. Perhaps because of this, A2 could go even higher than $4.1B.

And people thought we were mad. Never doubt Jim. 

9 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

And people thought we were mad. Never doubt Jim. 

I think the issue is people don’t want to blindly believe you two.

Whereas if you present facts and figures as I did and speculate from it, then suddenly this becomes a more believable notion.

Personally I still think it’ll get between 2-3 billion, but I’d happily be proven wrong. It’s just without any footage yet we can’t garner the reception. And although I have trust in Jim, I’m still concerned about how inflated Avatar was by this newfangled widespread proper 3D.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Get to the important part....which diva will be singing the theme tune?

I really loved "I See You".

I'd like to see Céline back. Adele would be a good pick too, and given her love of Titanic I bet she'd love to work with Jim. I also think Sia would be a great choice as her voice really has some power to it. 

36 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'd like to see Céline back. Adele would be a good pick too, and given her love of Titanic I bet she'd love to work with Jim. I also think Sia would be a great choice as her voice really has some power to it. 

No James Horner now though.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, feasby007 said:

And although I have trust in Jim, I’m still concerned about how inflated Avatar was by this newfangled widespread proper 3D.

I would be concerned also if it weren't for the fact that Avatar became the top selling Blu-Ray of all-time (until Frozen) came along. If all Avatar was is a pretty looking movie with great 3-D there's no way it would have garnered the word of mouth that it did and lasted so long in the theatres. I would also point to the current success of the Disney theme park, especially the Flight of Passage ride indicating that there's still life in the embers 9 years later, you can't say that about any other stand alone film that old. The themes presented in the movie resonate with some people and that's what matters most, especially in 2018 given everything that's going on in the world, how they connect some of that insanity into the sequels remains to be seen, no doubt it will cause some controversy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1