grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

• Founder / Operator

Normally I'd be very skeptical, and on some level I still am, but they took their time making this decision and I'd imagine Diesel and some of the established names of the franchise had at least a bit of say into it. If they're supportive of it, and if Wan and the studio use CGI tastefully, then it might work. Ideally, it will be on a Benjamin Button level... but hopefully not a Tron: Legacy level.

Edited by ShawnMR

The 80% approval rating from its target audience will probably give Divergent some decent legs, and it could have a 2.8, 2.9, or possibly a 3.0 multiplier.  Even with all of these male-oriented movies coming out like Noah, Captain America, and Draft Day, females could still choose to flock to Divergent instead.  Look at the solid legs of something like "The Heat" as a comparison.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I doubt they'd be going the route of CG/doubles if they didn't think it was necessary and didn't think they could pull it off respectfully. Fast & Furious is Universal's baby right now, and they've made some pretty smart decisions with most of their films lately. If nothing else, that's encouraging.

• Like 1

Everyone's being so harsh about the Walker thing already, I think we should at least wait for more details about it.  It all depends on the execution actually and how much footage they had already.  They still have to put together a cohesive narrative and that might not be possible if they didn't go this route.

The same thing happened to PSH in Mockingjay and people didn't seem to mind as much. 

• Like 2