grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

Portugal must be the only place where stuff like Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, 12 Years a Slave, The Butler, Midnight in Paris, Now You See Me, The Impossible, Les Miserables, Django Unchained, Lincoln, To Rome With Love, The Dictator, American Reunion, Hugo, The Descendants and Silver Linings Playbook becomes major blockbusters while the supposed Hollywood blockbusters bomb left and right. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Why pick Anchorman as an example? I don't expect them to enjoy Anchorman. But I would like it if studios gave them more complex blockbusters. Movies that are more like TDK/CF/Inception than Transformers films. Right now, I feel we have more blockbusters tilted to Transformers, in terms of complexity, than the other side.

You can say lack of writers and scripts for those type.

Not that surprising considering how it totally dominated Spain next door.

It is based on the true story of a Spanish family. It made sense to dominate that country's box office.

• Like 1

That explains why Harry Potter did so poorly overseas, oh wait.  By the end of it, Breaking Dawn II had a 65% OS ratio too.  A lot of the times these movies already have a fandom in the English speaking countries, but it takes longer for the fanbase to build up everywhere else.

Just because they don't resonate with you, you can't say that they don't resonate well with other overseas audiences.  And who are you to objectively define what "fun" means for other moviegoers?  You got to stop being so narrowminded and assuming that every movie goer is just like you, because they aren't.

Lol. 

Maybe HP is YA but I doubt most people view it that way. More as a big fantasy franchise.

If you check Twilights made most of its oversea box office from Europo. It did poorly from market like China/SK/JP.

I do not judge, neither you do, numbers judges.

I imagine that they figure action plays better than more cerebral things. I don't think it's a coincidence that the highest grossing non-English movie in the US by far is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and not some talky family drama. And Hollywood does a great job overall of believing domestic audiences are dumb, so would they really think better of everyone else in the world? Studio execs seem pretty risk-averse overall, if they have some success with CGI explosion fests in China then they'll churn out more of the same until it stops working.

Yeah, the thing is that they are usually wrong on the whole risk-aversion thing.  They make so many dumb CGI action movies and so many outdated reboots that they neglect to pay attention when something fresh and daring is attempted and actually makes a lot of money (like an Inception, for example).  Look at the poor box office numbers for something like Robocop.  They just ignore that, and will churn out 10 more reboots of franchises just like it.  Whereas when the a movie comes along and tries to be intelligent it usually does really well, but it is then ignored (Captain Phillips or something).  Then we end up with Transformers part 8.

Edited by Ando918

Thank you!  I've been so sick of people circlejerking about superhero movies nonstop for the last few years on here.  Finally a  different movie gets attention and now people (many of which were the same ones discussing the aforementioned movies to death) are pulling their claws out.

Double standards much?

Or maybe because the movie's no good. Do they pull their claws out for Hunger Games? No, because those are good movies. 

I'm sad for Muppets Most Wanted. I expected it to underperform for months already because of release date and lack of fanfare but then I saw the movie a few days ago and I really liked it so even if I was expecting it to do poorly, I was still hoping it could survive. Oh well I'm not sure OS can save it too. :(

Or maybe because the movie's no good. Do they pull their claws out for Hunger Games? No, because those are good movies. 

Oh there were claws out during Hunger Games box office run in 2011 here. Catching Fire though not that much except for the panic and cynicism initially when it was estimated to open below HG

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

Wall Street believes every Hunger Games movie must open with 200M, and every YA adaptation from Summit/Lionsgate must open with 150M. Lol.

The Wall Street guys all said Catching Fire was going to make 950m ww at least ...

• Founder / Operator

I think now Noah even has a great chance to outgross Divergent domestically.

Agreed. Could end up close, but let's see how Divergent pans out this weekend. I'm not totally ruling out a number closer to $50m or slightly under.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

The 80% approval rating from its target audience will probably give Divergent some decent legs, and it could have a 2.8, 2.9, or possibly a 3.0 multiplier.  Even with all of these male-oriented movies coming out like Noah, Captain America, and Draft Day, females could still choose to flock to Divergent instead.  Look at the solid legs of something like "The Heat" as a comparison.

Approval ratings go down, especially on Rotten Tomatoes.

Don't be surprised if Divergent goes down to the 60's.