CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Yes, but it was only ONE. They had more original products and TS2 was initially made with the intention of being a straight-to-video sequel and nothing more.

What do you mean one? They have had four and with many in the works. Doing sequels has always been a part of the plan. In fact, money from these sequels (which are among their highest grossing movies) is the reason why they can still make (risky) original films.

I am not against sequels at all as long as there is a great story to tell.

What do you mean one? They have had four and with many in the works. Doing sequels has always been a part of the plan. In fact, money from these sequels (which are among their highest grossing movies) is the reason why they can still make (risky) original films.

I am not against sequels at all as long as there is a great story to tell.

Clearly you missed my point entirely. I said PIXAR success was BUILT of original properties. The reference for ONE was a direct reply to the user who stated that PIXAR had been making sequels since 1999 and I said it was only ONE (at that point) and it was not even their intention as they were forced to do a diret-to-video sequel for TS which later turned into TS2. They did not make another sequel for years after that as their original properties were drawing in huge crowds.

• Like 2

Clearly you missed my point entirely. I said PIXAR success was BUILT of original properties. The reference for ONE was a direct reply to the user who stated that PIXAR had been making sequels since 1999 and I said it was only ONE (at that point) and it was not even their intention as they were forced to do a diret-to-video sequel for TS which later turned into TS2. They did not make another sequel for years after that as their original properties were drawing in huge crowds.

But their sequels aren't terrible (CARS II for me was enjoyable despite the flaws). I don't see anything wrong with making them. They do originals, great. They do sequels, also great. It's a win-win situation.

• Like 1

Let's just drop this whole idea that Pixar has a duty to do original films and nothing else (or even that they are supposed to produce mostly original films). They've already made more sequels than Disney Animation has in their entire lifetime. Clearly, originality is not automatically better or more memorable given Dreamworks' recent struggles with their original films. I'm all for originality, but it's frankly stupid to write any kind of sequel off as being automatically bad if most of the creative staff from the previous installments are returning.

Every other popular filmmaker has their share of sequels and adaptations. I don't see why Pixar has to be any different.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I never said they have made a bad sequel (except Cars 2 which is awful and Monsters University is pretty basic). It just seems they have gone the Marvel route. Except for making stories and singular movies they are just making franchises and looking at all their properties to greenlight sequels.

I never said they have made a bad sequel (except Cars 2 which is awful and Monsters University is pretty basic). It just seems they have gone the Marvel route. Except for making stories and singular movies they are just making franchises and looking at all their properties to greenlight sequels.

Both of their movies this year are original. That's enough, right?

Should we be expecting a team up film of Nemo, Lightning McQueen, Woody and Buzz, Sully and Mike, WALL-E and the rat from Ratatouille?

• Like 1

You know, it's pretty hard to argue with the Marvel route as long as it keeps working for them.

Should we be expecting a team up film of Nemo, Lightning McQueen, Woody and Buzz, Sully and Mike, WALL-E and the rat from Ratatouille?

It would not shock me at all. An 'Avengers' type of  crossover. Sully and Mike accidentally walk into Andy' closet and encounters Woody and Buzz. Mr. Incredible is called in as he thinks the monsters are new villains. 

It pretty much writes itself.

• Like 1

“To be co-director on ‘Toy Story 4’ with John, who brought the ‘Toy Story’ characters to the screen 20 years ago, is a dream come true,” Cooley told Variety. “When I first saw ‘Toy Story’ I was amazed by the groundbreaking computer-generated animation. But it was the strong storytelling that kept me coming back. ‘Toy Story 4’ will continue that tradition and I couldn’t be more excited to be a part of it!” http://comicbook.com/2015/03/12/toy-story-4-adds-josh-cooley-as-co-director-/