Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

I thought it was great! Non-spoilery review. 

It does cut a few things out of the novel that I'm somewhat disappointed by, but that's literally one of my few nitpicks. The movie has all the humor and seriousness of the novel. It perfectly captures it. Never takes itself tooo seriously, right amount of fun.

Not only Damon was undoubtedly excellent, Chastin and Ejiofor were fantastic in their own right, Glover needed more screentime. The visual effects were amazing (3D was used well I guess to me) and the soundtrack was lovely. The pace never lets up at all, which worked for me, though I think it needed a little breathing room after the second act.

My remaining nitpicks, Scott did great with the movie but some of the direction, felt off? Not sure how to explain it, like he overused a few things. Also, that "f-bomb" LOL

A-

If you read the books and want to read some spoilers:

I was kinda disappointed they didn't add the Pathfinder destruction from the book. The giant dust storm that nearly kills him in the book isn't around either (the one where he drives to the MAV thing). Things seemed to be going okay for Mark compared with the book lmao.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 12

RT Critics Consensus: Smart, thrilling, and surprisingly funny, The Martian offers a faithful adaptation of the bestselling book that brings out the best in leading man Matt Damon and director Ridley Scott.

A faithful adaptation doesn't equal quality. But this movie seems to receive unanimous praise all around. I have not heard a single negative remark. Maybe one or two that said it is nothing new or it is flat etc but the rest is like singing praises to high heavens

RT rating is high 97% but the AVE rating is low at only 7.4/10

combined score rating is only 85[(97+74)/2] which will go down with more reviews..

i expect RT to finish in the 80s.

It already has 30 reviews which means it may move +/- 5. Besides, all the reviews accounted for are the highbrow and middlebrow critics. We certainly can't call this anything less than universal acclaim.

It's a tired argument, I know I know. I still think we collectively invest far too much energy in tracking/considering its data. I don't think it's very valuable other than some sort of homogenized set of opinions.... but opinions are individual concerns so collectively they're kinda worthless (IMO).

• Like 3