Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

this perhaps has the best use of a david bowie song in any movie ever

Yeah, that blows Moonage Daydream in GOTG out of the water. And I loved the GOTG soundtrack.

This is a great companion piece to GOTG in terms of soundtracks (I will not make a call on which of the two is "better").

Edited by TServo2049

Yeah, that blows Moonage Daydream in GOTG out of the water. This is a great companion piece to GOTG in terms of soundtracks (I will not make a call on which of the two is "better").

This begs the question: what song from The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars will be in Passengers? (Thank god for copy and paste)

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Please let it be Suffragette City. :)

I love how we have multiple relatively-grounded (RELATIVELY!) "twenty minutes into the future" non-franchise sci-fi movies, and multiple sci-fi movies with 70s jukebox soundtracks.

You can really connect Gravity, GOTG, Interstellar, The Martian and Passengers together by a few links.

Gravity <-same weekend in October as-> The Martian

The Martian <-Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain->Interstellar

The Martian <-use of David Bowie-> GOTG

GOTG <-Chris Pratt-> Passengers

GOTG <-Footloose references-> Kevin Bacon

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

this perhaps has the best use of a david bowie song in any movie ever

I thought that was one of the best parts of the movie as well. It caught my attention, which was drifting at that particular moment in the movie, instantly.

It's pretty nice to discover such great song. Playing it on repeat since yesterday. (yes, I didn't knew about the song until yesterday)

Edited by Goffe

Although I preferred The Martian to Gravity, the success of Gravity is FAR more impressive. The Martian is based on a popular book, it has a male lead as opposed to a 50 yo female lead, space survival movies are in now, etc.

Yeah, space survival movies are totally the new superhero movies

Bullock was born in 1964 and 49 when Gravity was released two years ago, so...pretty close? Damon turns 45 this week but Hollywood typically gives men many more chances to be big-budget action heroes and at older ages.

no i was just surprised because she looks younger than 49/50

• Like 1

no i was just surprised because she looks younger than 49/50

She does and she broke through after Julia Roberts so people expect Sandy to be younger than her when it's the reverse.

Pretty impressive that The Martian is even keeping it close given Gravity's short run time and IMAX/3D advantages. TM seems more conventional, I don't mean that as a slam, just that it's more what the "general public" goes into a movie expecting to see and sometimes that is all people want. Can't wait to see how the WOM pans out.

• Like 2

Please let it be Suffragette City. :)

I love how we have multiple relatively-grounded (RELATIVELY!) "twenty minutes into the future" non-franchise sci-fi movies, and multiple sci-fi movies with 70s jukebox soundtracks.

You can really connect Gravity, GOTG, Interstellar, The Martian and Passengers together by a few links.

Gravity <-same weekend in October as-> The Martian

The Martian <-Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain->Interstellar

The Martian <-use of David Bowie-> GOTG

GOTG <-Chris Pratt-> Passengers

GOTG <-Footloose references-> Kevin Bacon

Next up...a Sci-Fi Romance (like Passengers), but for older audiences, with Matthew Macwhatshisface and Sandra Bullock (with Bacon and Chastain in supporting roles), directed by Martin Scorcese. Songs by Santana, Janis Joplin, Lynrd Skynrd, Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, Aretha Franklin, and Steve Miller Band. 400 million domestic! 900 million worldwide! 10 Oscar nods!! Full circle!! Or is that full lateral / ziggy zaggy??

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1