Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

Another good Friday for Divergent - looking at about a 7.2 weekend.  Noah is still crashing, as expected.  Can't believe Boxoffice.com believed it would only fall 50% this weekend.  Divergent still has a chance to hit 150 million domestic.

I don't see how you're getting 150 for Divergent. Or by "still has a chance" do you mean a 1% chance?

• Like 1

If Cap somehow manages to drop less than 60% this weekend, that means it will drop less than the first one did despite opening much larger.That is a good thing and that's what I'm going to tell myself as I cry myself to sleep every night wondering why it isn't making more.

part of that reason though is summer vs spring so Cap 1 had a lot more business done on weekdays. 

Yeah, after 10 days both Thor1 and CA1 were close - 119.45m and 117.421m

The weekend/weekday breakdown however was different cause CA1 had stronger weekdays

Comparing them is a great example of how weekdays get ignored in the usual weekend discussions.

1st weekend + mon-thu + 2nd weekend (weekend drop) :

65.72 + 19.03 + 34.7 (-47.2%) = 119.4m for Thor1

65.05 + 26.82 + 25.5 (-60.7%) = 117.4m for CA1 (mon-thu is bigger than the 2nd weekend)

a difference of just 2 million..though you can imagine the talk of "huge drop for CA1 compared to Thor1" if you just focus on the weekends

Edited by a2knet

I don't see how you're getting 150 for Divergent. Or by "still has a chance" do you mean a 1% chance?

Divergent has the same chance to reach 150M as Noah has to reach 100M. None of them will.

But you can't.  Film business is a global thing, not just one market.  

I was joking, hence the ":P" smilie. I'm well-aware it's a global market; it's just that for me personally, I find it a hassle to follow WW except for the 1B+ grossers

I fell asleep, too. Didn't find it terrible, though.

LEGO was the funniest movie since 21 Jump Street. Appropiate, seeing the directors

• Like 1

I would say it has about a 25% chance of getting to 150 domestic.  If "The Other Woman" gets terrible reviews (as expected) and crashes after its opening weekend, Divergent could very well be the go-to choice for females at the cheap-o $3 or $4 dollar theaters looking to kill some time while all of the other films showing have male protagonists.  "The Other Woman" looks really terrible - just a remake of a dozen other revenge movies like John Tucker Must Die where females are obsessed with men.  Tucker Must Die is at 27% on RT and I predict The Other Woman will have the same RT score.  Divergent could benefit from this in the month of May.

Reviews will affect The Other Woman as much as they affected something like We're The Millers.

It is possible.  We shall see.  The Other Woman looks like it is trying the formula of a female "Grown Ups" to appeal to 14 year old girls.  Even though Cameron Diaz is over 40, it looks like she is going to be playing a really dumb, foul-mouthed 15 year old, along with her sidekick Kate Upton.  The movie will only appeal to teenage girls who are fans of Kate Upton and Nicki Minaj - no one else.  I think "We're The Millers" ended up near 50% on RT and appealed to a larger demographic.

I would if it was playing in Canada.  I can't believe it's not even in Toronto yet.  I'm heading there on Tuesday and was going to see it in the afternoon.  But it's not playing here.....WTF!

Baumer man whats that film about? :)? (Dodges a shoe and bricks)lol?

It is possible.  We shall see.  The Other Woman looks like it is trying the formula of a female "Grown Ups" to appeal to 14 year old girls.  Even though Cameron Diaz is over 40, it looks like she is going to be playing a really dumb, foul-mouthed 15 year old, along with her sidekick Kate Upton.  The movie will only appeal to teenage girls who are fans of Kate Upton and Nicki Minaj - no one else.  I think "We're The Millers" ended up near 50% on RT and appealed to a larger demographic.

We're The Millers was in the 20's on Rotten Tomatoes the first day it came out. It's now in the 40's though.

We're The Millers also had a very female oriented audience. The Other Woman is obviously going for the same audience, and will probably succeed because Ho.lywood tends to ignore that kind of audience.

Edited by Fancyarcher