Olive

Thursday Numbers: CA2-4.32M,RIO2-3.58M, Heaven-3.33M, Transcendence-850k

This is three hours old and there are no Friday numbers, just weekend estimates.

Hollywood Reporter ‏@THR 3h

Box Office: Not a Good Friday for Johnny Depp's #Transcendence http://j.mp/1nuOmYx

I just got a text from Shawn about the numbers.  He hasn't give me the green light yet to report what he told me, so I can't say yet, but that tweet you posted is something similar to what he told me as well.

• Like 2

Johnny Depp’s ‘Transcendence’ Laying an Egg at the Box Office

The race looks to be a repeat of last weekend’s sequel showdown between Disney-Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” and Fox’s “Rio 2,” which are each tracking for $25 million-plus.

“Rio 2” looks to benefit from the holiday timeframe as the number of children on spring break doubled this weekend from 10 to 20%. The 3D comedy could win this weekend by a beak, as it stands to earn an estimated $27 million-plus — roughly $2 million more than “Captain America.”

Meanwhile, Warner Bros.’ “Transcendence” is headed for a soft $16 million-plus launch. The sci-fi thriller, which reportedly cost $100 million to produce, may suffer from the lack of word-of-mouth and its poor reviews (pic currently has 19% Rotten Tomatoes meter). “Transcendence” could make up for the loss overseas thanks to a day-and-date release in China.

Another new weekend entry, Sony’s “Heaven Is for Real” (A CinemaScore) is hoping to capitalize on the recent success of faith-themed pics. The Christian drama is en route for an $18 million weekend — a third place finish ahead of “Transcendence.”

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/johnny-depps-transcendence-laying-an-egg-at-the-box-office-1201159719/

• Like 4

Johnny Depp’s ‘Transcendence’ Laying an Egg at the Box Office

The race looks to be a repeat of last weekend’s sequel showdown between Disney-Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” and Fox’s “Rio 2,” which are each tracking for $25 million-plus.

“Rio 2” looks to benefit from the holiday timeframe as the number of children on spring break doubled this weekend from 10 to 20%. The 3D comedy could win this weekend by a beak, as it stands to earn an estimated $27 million-plus — roughly $2 million more than “Captain America.”

Meanwhile, Warner Bros.’ “Transcendence” is headed for a soft $16 million-plus launch. The sci-fi thriller, which reportedly cost $100 million to produce, may suffer from the lack of word-of-mouth and its poor reviews (pic currently has 19% Rotten Tomatoes meter). “Transcendence” could make up for the loss overseas thanks to a day-and-date release in China.

Another new weekend entry, Sony’s “Heaven Is for Real” (A CinemaScore) is hoping to capitalize on the recent success of faith-themed pics. The Christian drama is en route for an $18 million weekend — a third place finish ahead of “Transcendence.”

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/johnny-depps-transcendence-laying-an-egg-at-the-box-office-1201159719/

:unsure:

• Like 1