Olive

Thursday Numbers: CA2-4.32M,RIO2-3.58M, Heaven-3.33M, Transcendence-850k

Very insane day for Rio 2 and Noah here. Theaters are packed and these two are selling like crazy. TASM2 is flopping, should open with around the same as Man of Steel and Captain America 2. It is decreasing from yesterday which is ridiculous. Only to think that Thor is now the 2nd biggest individual superhero over here behind Iron Man 3. If we count Batman, he destroys them all. He destroys even the Avengers combined.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

Very insane day for Rio 2 and Noah here. Theaters are packed and these two are selling like crazy. TASM2 is flopping, should open with around the same as Man of Steel and Captain America 2. It is decreasing from yesterday which is ridiculous. Only to think that Thor is now the 2nd biggest individual superhero over here behind Iron Man 3. If we count Batman, he destroys them all. He destroys even the Avengers combined.

Thor is Portuguese.  You didn't know?

• Like 1

How did the first Amazing Spidey do in Portugal, if I may ask?
  • Like 1

Awesome, thanks.

Is the Depp now officially on the decline?

I think Depp always had trouble opening movies where he not playing quirky, zany characters.

In fact outside PoTC and Tim Burton, his 5 biggest live action openers are

Lone Ranger - 29.2m (not a friday opener though. but it had big marketing and he was pretty zany too.)

Public Enemies - 25.2m (wed opener)

Once Upon Mexico - 23.4m

Secret Window - 18.23m

The Tourist - 16.4m

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

pretty small Thursday bumps so far even with smaller grosses

God's Not Dead $678,170 11%

The Grand Budapest Hotel $533,000 5%

Mr. Peabody & Sherman $270,000 3%

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

I think Depp always had trouble opening movies where he not playing quirky, zany characters.

In fact outside PoTC and Tim Burton, his 5 biggest live action openers are

Lone Ranger - 29.2m (not a friday opener though. but it had big marketing and he was pretty zany too.)

Public Enemies - 25.2m (wed opener)

Once Upon Mexico - 23.4m

Secret Window - 18.23m

The Tourist - 16.4m

Surprised Once Upon a Time in Mexico opened so high.  I count Lone Ranger as among his kabuki clown films.

• Like 2

How did the first Amazing Spidey do in Portugal, if I may ask?

Dropped over 50% in admissions from Spider-Man 3. From 405000 tickets sold in total (SM3) to 185000 tickets sold in total (TASM). This one will be lucky to reach 150000-160000 tickets sold in total at the end of his run. Thor 2 sold just over 160000 tickets. Iron Man 3 sold 180000 tickets. Avengers sold 250000 tickets. TDKR sold 335000 tickets. Hail Nolan.

Thor is Portuguese.  You didn't know?

And more. I just realized that even if a smaller OW, Thor 2 was able to increase from Thor, a thing CA2 and TASM2 won't be able to say. Fuck yeah Thor :lol: 

• Like 2

Awesome, thanks.

Is the Depp now officially on the decline?

I don't think Johnny Depp is on the decline.  This probably has something to do with terrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes (18%) and Flixster score (55%).  The concept of the movie looks really bizarre for general audiences who like his charm and wit.  I agree with those who say that RT scores don't have much of an effect on a movie's opening weekend or its overall numbers, but they do if the RT score is below 25%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transcendence_2014/

• Like 1

Not even an RT score of 0 would affect the first day gross by more than a percentage or two imo. Fewer folks in the GA base their movie-going around RT than we would think.

• Like 1

Not even an RT score of 0 would affect the first day gross by more than a percentage or two imo. Fewer folks in the GA base their movie-going around RT than we would think.

I agree with you about the RT scores most of the time when it comes to general audiences.  Except when they go below 25%.  Then the movie is probably going to struggle - with the exception of Adam Sandler / Michael Bay.