grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

That clip was shite but you’re only allowed to say clips look amazing on this forum or else be accused of not understanding ‘context.’

Anyway, still think the movie will get great reviews. The world feels very ready for some deconstructed bubblegum.

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

That clip was shite but you’re only allowed to say clips look amazing on this forum or else be accused of not understanding ‘context.’

Anyway, still think the movie will get great reviews. The world feels very ready for some deconstructed bubblegum.

Actually I think a lot of audiences have had enough of meta/self-aware movies and ‘politically and socially accurate’ narratives (according to interview this week with Ncuti Gatwa). Some people just wanted a fun Barbie movie. I think it will get rave reviews from some quarters but will be divisive elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Actually I think a lot of audiences have had enough of meta/self-aware movies and ‘politically and socially accurate’ narratives (according to interview this week with Ncuti Gatwa). Some people just wanted a fun Barbie movie. I think it will get rave reviews from some quarters but will be divisive elsewhere. 

I think it depends on whether they can transition the single joke (“barbie’s world is quite strange when you think about it!”) into a good story. I’d expect the first half to be constant winking and memes but the second half probably needs a bit more weight to it. We’ll see.

On the whole I agree that MCU brand of self-aware humour has, to put it charitably, reached its limit. But this feels like something else. I haven’t seen marketing cut through like this in years. 

nothing in this clip or in the trailer says it's a woke movie. Can we just stop to talk about it?. 

we're at the point even people are not extremist conservatives are always talking about "there is a woman, there is an lgbt character" this could be read as woke etc... This is already a very big defeat and a sign they are kinda winning since their absolutely shit points are becaming somethin normal in the public discourse, which is a preliminary step to be accepted. Very very sad.

Most golden era comedies have a very political texture, especially feminist when a woman was the main character

most julia roberts comedy have a political texture, a feminist felling, most sandra bullocks comedies...and mean girls, and mamma mia and Legally Blonde and everything. So again can we stop to talk like them?. 😥

13 minutes ago, Barbie said:

the more I see about the movie the worse it looks 😕 its giving SNL

You said Little Mermaid was great. If you can like cheap green screen movies i bet when you will watch this on the big screen could give you something more than snl feelings. 

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Omg americans really make surveys to see what movie you're gonna see based on politics. What a strange country, i can't imagine any other country in the world doing somethin like that 💀

it's not complicated...the original survey was a political survey and any political survey has data broken down by demographics, party id etc. At the end of survey, some surveys also ask some non-political fun questions like what's your favorite ice-cream flavor, favorite band, favorite Batman etc

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

You said Little Mermaid was great. If you can like cheap green screen movies i bet when you will watch this on the big screen could give you something more than snl feelings. 

what is this off topic? TLM was cute and halle was spectacular. barbie looks like a long unfunny snl skit so far

I stan Margod tho and hope it smashes because she's due a big hit after babylon (masterpiece) bombed

hope it can gross 250m US and 250m OS

Edited by Barbie
  • Heart 1

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

bruh how does it make sense to make any kind of judgement regarding released clips and early footage when only random few seconds are taken out of order, sequence and context and packaged with editing designed only for promotion?

3 hours ago, upriser7 said:

it's not complicated...the original survey was a political survey and any political survey has data broken down by demographics, party id etc. At the end of survey, some surveys also ask some non-political fun questions like what's your favorite ice-cream flavor, favorite band, favorite Batman etc

of course it's not complicated ...i know how a survey works

but it's kinda weird to ask people what their politics are and so what movie they're gonna watch. Again you know of something like this on an another country?. Maybe I'm wrong and they're not alone.

Edited by vale9001

On 6/13/2023 at 8:16 PM, upriser7 said:

This is just one survey but we do have crosstabs of who are interested in some of the summer releases this year - 

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1668773209641193472/photo/1

This is exactly the type of thing I've been trying to find for a while. Going to be fun to see what I can find in older versions of these ominbus releases.