grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The song is written by Ronson (oscar for Shallow) and the guitar is played by Slash

More like Barbie and Tren, dude’s built like he-man wtf

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I think the best shot this will have for a win at the AA is maybe Goslin for supporting and maybe production design but I could see The Color Purple taking most of the technical awards. 

Why with DUNC II right there? 

34 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Joker was dark and serious and trying to go for that gritty adult drama vibe that is usually big Oscar bait. Far less shocking than Barbie in the BP mix imo. 

Barbie will be nominated for Best Comedy, Comedy Actress and Actor at Globes and Critic's Choice and Gosling will win, at least him. Also, EEAAO was a comedy and comic booky so AMPAS isn't against them. I have faith.

Edited by Valonqar

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Why with DUNC II right there? 

Barbie will be nominated for Best Comedy, Comedy Actress and Actor at Globes and Critic's Choice and Gosling will win, at least him. Also, EEAAO was a comedy and comic booky so AMPAS isn't against them. I have faith.

Dune has potential for possible visual effects and makeup and hairstyling.

Basically the 1985 version of The Color Purple was nominated for 11 Oscars and still holds the record for film with most noms without a single win and people are saying WB is going to use that as a talking point for the upcoming campaign so it might likely have an impact and so far people have been talking about the cinematography of this film so I think the academy might allow it to win a lot of technical awards and even on Goldderby forum people are suspecting that Danielle Brooks and Fantasia are likely going to win Best Actress and Supporting Actress since Oprah and Whoopi lost those awards in 1985 for TCP.

Edited by joselowe

13 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Dune has potential for possible visual effects and makeup and hairstyling.

Basically the 1985 version of The Color Purple was nominated for 11 Oscars and still holds the record for film with most noms without a single win and people are saying WB is going to use that as a talking point for the upcoming campaign so it might likely have an impact and so far people have been talking about the cinematography of this film so I think the academy might allow it to win a lot of technical awards and even on Goldderby forum people are suspecting that Danielle Brooks and Fantasia are likely going to win Best Actress and Supporting Actress since Oprah and Whoopi lost those awards in 1985 for TCP.

That sounds like wishcasting rather than actual predictions tbh. Just because one version missed it doesn't mean another will win especially if it's inferior. Original CP was directed by Spielberg so cream de la cream of directing. We'll see what happens but their arguments aren't convincing. 

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That sounds like wishcasting rather than actual predictions tbh. Just because one version missed it doesn't mean another will win especially if it's inferior. Original CP was directed by Spielberg so cream de la cream of directing. We'll see what happens but their arguments aren't convincing. 

It worked with West Side Story a couple years ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It worked with West Side Story a couple years ago. 

Boxoffice bomb and only won Supporting Actress not Picture. Plus, there was crying over Mike Faist snub. 

These guys aren't talking about noms but wins but this is Barbie thread and Barbie is in it to win it. 

Dune already got his oscars and this looks kinda of similar of the first one. 

I think Oppenheimer gonna be the "Technical movie of the year" for sound categories, editing etc...

And Barbie for production design, costumes etc...

So yes even if not on the big categories (but a Gosling vs Oppenheimer actor on  supporting actor could happen) probably the oscars could be a very barbenhaimer night. 

Edited by vale9001

Since reactions have been minimal: Matt Belloni was at the premiere and gave his reaction on the newest The Town podcast. It is towards the very end for people who want to listen, but the gist was positive. Initially he just said it was quite a spectacle and that he would "leave it to the critics to decide" if the movie is good or bad, but he ends with saying/explaining his statement that it is so much better and more incisive than you would ever expect a Barbie movie to be, and that he is wildly curious what critics will say because it is also just obviously so silly and dumb at times as well. Also echoes Buchanan in being floored that Mattel would allow the film to do the things it does, and personally is of the opinion that it is not for kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Dune already got his oscars and this looks kinda of similar of the first one. 

I think Oppenheimer gonna be the "Technical movie of the year" for sound categories, editing etc...

And Barbie for production design, costumes etc...

So yes even if not on the big categories (but a Gosling vs Oppenheimer actor on  supporting actor could happen) probably the oscars could be a very barbenhaimer night. 

So did 3 LOTR movies. We know what happened. It's funny that all 3 - Dune 2, Barbie and CP - are from WB so the studio will have to do some prioritizing depending on critical reception, boxoffice, categories. As someone who both cheers Dune for ROTK-like win and Barbie, I'm in a tough spot but since I don't expect acting noms for Dune, Barbie should fill (Supporting) Actor and Actress. There's no one like them. There's no movie like this. 

37 minutes ago, TheOneWithTheHat said:

Since reactions have been minimal: Matt Belloni was at the premiere and gave his reaction on the newest The Town podcast. It is towards the very end for people who want to listen, but the gist was positive. Initially he just said it was quite a spectacle and that he would "leave it to the critics to decide" if the movie is good or bad, but he ends with saying/explaining his statement that it is so much better and more incisive than you would ever expect a Barbie movie to be, and that he is wildly curious what critics will say because it is also just obviously so silly and dumb at times as well. Also echoes Buchanan in being floored that Mattel would allow the film to do the things it does, and personally is of the opinion that it is not for kids.

It's not for kids? Using a children's toy and making a not-for-kids movie could lead to a poor cinema score (because of pissed off parents or bored tweens).

I think this movie will have such a high opening weekend though that it will be a hit regardless. 

The formal review embargo is set for July 18 following critics screenings (Deadline’s Valerie Complex will be reviewing), but the social media embargo lifted at the conclusion of last night’s screening and initial reactions are rampant. For my money this is a razor-sharp, hilarious and totally fun movie that more than lives up to my hopes based on the fact the script comes from Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig, the latter also the director. It delivers on every front, but gets gravitas from its sly satirical commentary on society’s ever-changing and challenging place of men vs. women. A feminist manifesto? Not quite. It has more complexity than you might think, and nothing is held back. Props also have to go to Mattel for letting these supremely talented filmmakers go wild with the beloved brand, even in unflattering ways.

“What a smart movie this was, so fun but with so much to say, too,” one filmgoer told me as she exited the Shrine last night to head to the after-party. That person happened to be Janet Yang, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and her effusive reaction (just one of many similar I heard afterwards) led me to think, despite its genre and July release, that Barbie could have some real potential come Oscar time, even as Warners tees up other more obvious hopefuls in the fall like Dune Part Two and the film adaptation of the Broadway musical version of The Color Purple.

Comedy, or actually more broad comedy like Barbie, usually gets treated like a second-class citizen at the Academy Awards with some exceptions — like Tootsie, which made it into the Best Picture race; Tom Jones, which won; Some Like It Hot, which got a few nominations; more recently Adam McKay films like Don’t Look Up; and movies like The Producers, Pillow Talk, Moonstruck and others over the years that took home screenplay Oscars in their time. Broad comedy master Mel Brooks is getting an honorary Oscar in November, so that’s high acknowledgement of the genre. Even this year the Academy showed by anointing Everything Everywhere All at Once with its highest honor that it is willing to look more out of the box, something Barbie would be literally and figuratively.

Because this is a movie that sneaks up on you and has more of an acidly witty Billy Wilder sensibility to it, I could see it playing surprisingly well with the Academy. It is as relevant as it is LOL funny. For starters in crafts categories like Sarah Greenwood’s bright Production Design, Jacqueline Durran’s Costume Design, and Rodrigo Prieto’s candy technicolored cinematography, it could be a real player. Original songs like Billie Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?” and the rollicking Ryan Gosling-led production number “I’m Just Ken” could compete for Best Song. Both Gosling and title star Margot Robbie deserve consideration in the lead categories for pitch perfect performances that also have a real shot to gain momentum at the Golden Globes and Critics Choice Awards. Gosling in particular is real scene stealer. Baumbach and Gerwig’s script could have a lot of support for Original Screenplay. Whether Barbie gets into Picture and Director races remains to be seen, but if the movie becomes a bit of a phenomenon following its opening than don’t count it out.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/can-barbie-bring-comedy-back-to-oscars-1235433405/

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2