grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

3 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Exactly those angry mobs do not matter nothing, the people commenting Go woke get Rich is to oppose the broke slogan that is fake. Those angry mob types like Dune and that movies is probably on flop territory too. 

Out of reactions but agreed. 

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

If this is true, so the "make the right people mad for publicity" theory doesn't work either.

My point was that there hasn't been so many people angry about the Barbie movie. So, I don't know how this movie could represent that theory.

I think that publicity aspect works to some extent and has been used by Disney a lot but I don't know if we have any public business intelligence statistics/surveys on it. Disney probably has internally.

Forgot to say that that kind of marketing tactics will always piss on your brand long-term and only bring short-term gains, plus diminishing returns when used over and over again.

Edited by von Kenni

Just now, Day and Date The Best said:

Dont say 0% chance this is a year of surprises look at Mission Impossible 7.

I agree with this. I don’t see the hype for Dune 2 that people here seem to see. It’s eerily similar to MI7’s hype, meaning more among hardcore film twitter than it has break out into the public’s conscious.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

I agree on the mob thinking but disagree on Dune...for some reason (hint: my avatar pic).

Timothee Chalamet Dune GIF

Do not get me wrong, i like Dune, how tangible it feels the VFX have incredible texture like they are real real, with people experiences, the sound design, the melancholic performaces, where it is going and the grandiose approach Villanueve is taking with the scale, if you know the books, etc. But Box Office Wise it probably will FLOP.  Like Blade Runner 2049 a movie wich like like like A Loooooot. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best

Just now, Day and Date The Best said:

Do not get me wrong, i like Dune, how tangible it feels the VFX have incredible texture like they are real real, with people experiences, the sound design, the melancholic performaces, where it is going and the grandiose approcah Villanueve is takimg with the scale, if you know the books, etc. But Box Office Wise it looks like it will FLOP.  Like Blade Runner 2049 a movie wich like like like A Loooooot. 

I liked Dune. I watched on HBO Max (and fun tidbit, HBO Max was never updated to "just Max" here in Brazil lol) at day and date release, but I’d be lying if I said that I’m ‘omg I cannot wait for Dune’, I think it’s a cool concept, but I really don’t think I’m going to travel three hours to watch this. Also, love BR2049, also watched at home. I own that one digitally actually.

Dune 2 is gonna break out big, like Spiderverse 2 big. People couldn't see the first one in theaters because of the pandemic and it was day and date on Hbo Max. I think people liked what they saw and it has great potential. Thinking it does 300M domestic

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I'm telling you this cause dummies read it the wrong way like they read D&D the wrong way (that got "D&D hates men!" vids) and then backtracked when they saw the movie. Or when dummiest trashed Sir Anthony Hopkins win and then saw the movie he won for over Boseman and said oops. Lots of outrage comes from people not seeing things but just assuming.

I don't know I feel at this point lumping these people as "dummies" with random Marvel stans that were angry Black Panther lost the oscar to an old guy or that dude with zero followers ranting about Joker losing BP to a korean movie he's never heard off is cutting them way too much slack.

This whole corner of the internet is entirely calculated. I wouldn't be shocked if they 're reading all the leaks beforehand for those woke target movies and have their thumbnails ready weeks in advance of release. If the entertainment product is contentious or isn't a runaway hit (usually for many reasons other than being woke) the got themselves weeks (Mermaid) or in some cases years (TLJ) of content. If said product is such a huge hit there's no angle to downplay it and even their incel racist following aint biting that much, they drop their crusade quickly and quietly because otherwise they 'd have to admit most people don't care enough to be outraged by "woke propaganda". They tried this with Avatwo and Mario and their crusade lasted like a week. Same thing will happen with Barbie, because by the looks of it, next week there's not gonna be any angle that paint it as anything other than a mega success.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I liked Dune. I watched on HBO Max (and fun tidbit, HBO Max was never updated to "just Max" here in Brazil lol) at day and date release, but I’d be lying if I said that I’m ‘omg I cannot wait for Dune’, I think it’s a cool concept, but I really don’t think I’m going to travel three hours to watch this. Also, love BR2049, also watched at home. I own that one digitally actually.

Exactly, but is true general audiences probably do not care about Dune, a least Barbie will leave some money so if WB loose on part 2 wont be that hard. And people are dissmissing something about The Marvels, It comes after Guardians 3 and Guardians 3 generated goodwill, even if it underperformed, plus secret invasion. And say what you want about the Marvels the VFx and Choreography look good, when The VFX and Choreo look good on a Marvel movies it means they took their time, and that extrapolates to the script was on time and other parts too, example all the Marvel Movies that have what people call good vfx are the ones that were better received.

19 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Do not get me wrong, i like Dune, how tangible it feels the VFX have incredible texture like they are real real, with people experiences, the sound design, the melancholic performaces, where it is going and the grandiose approach Villanueve is taking with the scale, if you know the books, etc. But Box Office Wise it looks like it will FLOP.  Like Blade Runner 2049 a movie wich like like like A Loooooot. 

Yeah, 2049 was a shame BO wise. Near perfection as a movie. Though it lacked some of payoff, plot structures, and pacing that Villeneuve fixed for Dune (matters of taste of course). And Dune Part 2 looks like more accessible based on the trailer. We'll see how the marketing goes and if there are other X factors than the actors strike but I think we're good with Dune Part 2. Though the general lameness of BO worries a bit.

Saw Eric's post now. No more Dune from me.

Edited by von Kenni

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Dune 2 is gonna break out big, like Spiderverse 2 big. People couldn't see the first one in theaters because of the pandemic and it was day and date on Hbo Max. I think people liked what they saw and it has great potential. Thinking it does 300M domestic

Is not the same case Spiderverse were mainstream people Dune is not. Is not Barbie either, Barbie, that is mainstream appeal. Even the Dune Crowd is being swayed by Killers of The flower Moon and Napoleon. 

Ok back at Barbie, it probably will end up bigger so is 1 billion back on track? 

14 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Ok back at Barbie, it probably will end up bigger so is 1 billion back on track? 

It was never off track. OS looks great save SK. China better than expected. I know it's a low bar but small surprises add up.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1