grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Yeah, but either way would have been banned in China because of Simu Liu being blacklisted by Censors. I get that now that they added South China Sea to get a way into China. 

Well, They could sent a different version to South East Asia to avoid ban (wouldn't have cost much)

Philippines Current Government is installed by CCP so they might reconsider but this is territorial dispute so can't confirm either.

If It's the scene i posted i really doubt someone thought about that 😅. So they didn't made or send anything different cause they didn't give any problematic credit to a fun map about an imaginary real world geography.

Then if the issue It's for another scene or reference I don't know. 

10 hours ago, Redolent said:

In your opinion, having seen it…doesn’t mean you’re the definitive sage and gospel of all things Barbie.

In your opinion, haven't not seen it.. doesn't mean you're the definitive gospel of speculation towards Barbie. It's ok to admit you're wrong and move on, I'm trying to explain. you'll feel much better instead of spending hours peddling ideas that do not merely reflect the reality of the situation, at all. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

In your opinion, haven't not seen it.. doesn't mean you're the definitive gospel of speculation towards Barbie. It's ok to admit you're wrong and move on, I'm trying to explain. you'll feel much better instead of spending hours peddling ideas that do not merely reflect the reality of the situation, at all. 

that scene in the trailer of Barbie driving with her car while singing, Ken behind her, both screaming, the car on air in a very cartoonish way...  what it's more fun for young kids than this kind of looney tunes humour😅

Edited by vale9001

44 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

All I’m saying is that I’ve read different reactions from other people who have as much of a claim to having seen Barbie as you. But you seem to think your viewpoint is the definitive one and there is no room for ambiguity?

Here’s one from Reddit (in the comments):

Look let me just say this right now as someone who went to one of the screenings, it’s great and don’t take this review too seriously. My audience loved it and it is true that the movie is not geared towards children at all. If you are a fan of Greta Gerwig, then you will love this. I really don’t know what this reviewer was expecting if they were already familiar with Greta and Baumbach’s work. Did they think they would really make some basic kids movie?

I think if they continue marketing the movie showing mostly the campiness of Barbieland, then yeah it will leave people very complexed when they start diving into gender politics and existentialism. None of these actors would have signed up imo if this was a generic Mattel driven movie. This is a Greta film through and through and I can’t wait to watch it again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oscarrace/comments/135eign/first_negative_test_screening_reaction_for_barbie/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

• Like 1

Just now, Redolent said:

Is this deliberately courting China or just an oversight from like a random intern? Strange.

I guarantee wherever this movie was banned wasn't contributing the BO significantly. 

This whole “is this for kids” discourse is weird. Like 95% of PG-13 movies are kids movies and are aimed and marketed towards a  child audience. And I doubt there’s anything worse in a typical Marvel movie. The Jumanji movies are full of innuendos and penis jokes and they won Kids Choice Awards. This won’t be a big deal at all.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Redolent said:

All I’m saying is that I’ve read different reactions from other people who have as much of a claim to having seen Barbie as you. But you seem to think your viewpoint is the definitive one and there is no room for ambiguity?

Look let me just say this right now as someone who went to one of the screenings, it’s great and don’t take this review too seriously. My audience loved it and it is true that the movie is not geared towards children at all. If you are a fan of Greta Gerwig, then you will love this. I really don’t know what this reviewer was expecting if they were already familiar with Greta and Baumbach’s work. Did they think they would really make some basic kids movie?

I think if they continue marketing the movie showing mostly the campiness of Barbieland, then yeah it will leave people very complexed when they start diving into gender politics and existentialism. None of these actors would have signed up imo if this was a generic Mattel driven movie. This is a Greta film through and through and I can’t wait to watch it again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oscarrace/comments/135eign/first_negative_test_screening_reaction_for_barbie/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

From the trailer:

-"Hi Barbie"

"Hi Ken"

"Hi Barbie"

"Hi Ken"

Ken being angry.

-Ken trying to Kiss Barbie but Barbie doesn't understand.

-Barbie going on air with her car.

This all seems humour the average kid loves.

It's not like the First time a comedy has the humour can be enjoyable for Kids and then a more mature level It's enjoyable for adults.

Even if Kids doesn't understand  the metaphor of feminism and gender roles or whatever in a scene doesn't mean Ken Gosling and his gags are not funny, they can't enjoy barbieland and all the very colorfoul thing and the overall movie. 

From the time article honestly the First reaction you posted doesn't seem that real. The jounalist wrote the movie is both a commercial Summer comedy made by a corporate and also a movie with personal things.

So this "It's like a totally Greta Gerwig movie" doesn't sound 100% right to me. 

Edited by vale9001

14 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Is this deliberately courting China or just an oversight from like a random intern? Strange.

I don't know if it's the image above. (Spoiler Alert anyways) but Vietnamese State-affiated media "Tuoi Tre" mentioned a quote translated from one of the Censors "Vi Kien Thanh"

"We do not grant license for the American movie 'Barbie' to release in Vietnam because it contains the offending image of the nine-dash line"

https://tuoitre.vn/phim-barbie-bi-cam-chieu-o-viet-nam-vi-co-hinh-anh-duong-luoi-bo-20230703120307715.htm

18 minutes ago, AJG said:

I guarantee wherever this movie was banned wasn't contributing the BO significantly. 

Yeah, either way same but still Box Office of SEA countries would have been far greater than crowded Chinese Summer.

48 minutes ago, Redolent said:

This person sounds like a moron. If children can handle star lord saying F and Lego Movie or whatever happens in a Pixar film, they'll be fine. 

When did this country become such plebs?

• Like 2

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This person sounds like a moron. If children can handle star lord saying F and Lego Movie or whatever happens in a Pixar film, they'll be fine. 

When did this country become such plebs?

Where in that review does it say the kids couldn't handle it? All it does is imply that kids will be more bored than entertained.

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I don't know if it's the image above. (Spoiler Alert anyways) but Vietnamese State-affiated media "Tuoi Tre" mentioned a quote translated from one of the Censors "Vi Kien Thanh"

"We do not grant license for the American movie 'Barbie' to release in Vietnam because it contains the offending image of the nine-dash line"

https://tuoitre.vn/phim-barbie-bi-cam-chieu-o-viet-nam-vi-co-hinh-anh-duong-luoi-bo-20230703120307715.htm

Yeah, either way same but still Box Office of SEA countries would have been far greater than crowded Chinese Summer.

It's a bit weird because the "line" in that map has 8 dashes.