grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

14 hours ago, vale9001 said:

A special edition of People 

TIM230724-Barbie-Cover.jpg?quality=85&w=

Nicki Minaj Barbie song "Barbie World" at #7 on Hot 100

WTF I am getting shades of the 1990s and early 2000s mega blockbusters which took over pop culture in all corners. Men in Black, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Spider-man...and more recently, MAVERICK. This movie is everywhere. If the film is good, we are looking at a historic breakout. 

No idea what that really means but the snowball is already large and growing rapidly. $150m? Maybe more? :wtf:

Edited by excel1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WTF I am getting shades of the 1990s and early 2000s mega blockbusters which took over pop culture in all corners. Men in Black, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Spider-man...and more recently, MAVERICK. This movie is everywhere. If the film is good, we are looking at a historic breakout. 

No idea what that really means but the snowball is already large and growing rapidly. $150m? Maybe more? :wtf:

Told y’all this movie was absolutely crushing it on social for months, and with the audience that absolutely merits paying attention to (casual gen z and millennials). Wasn’t the “meme Internet” type of niche crowd, it’s been breaking out with casuals in a huge way for months already. Anytime a movie explodes like this on TikTok always warrants paying attention to in this day and age. 

And yeah the marketing campaign has just been stellar. It seems like it just keeps getting better the closer we get. This may be one of those “study it in marketing classes” type of campaigns to mark down in pop culture history. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Yes the soundtrack seems about to explode when the movie comes, also because according to the time article not all the 17-18 songs but most of them are used in the movie and are connected to the plot 

Anyways we have to say both the 2 animated movies of spiderman got 2 very successful soundtrack, the second right now Is really strong on Spotify with a lot of Songs on the chart.

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Yes the soundtrack seems about to explode when the movie comes, also because according to the time article not all the 17-18 songs but most of them are used in the movie and are connected to the plot 

Anyways we have to say both the 2 animated movies of spiderman got 2 very successful soundtrack, the second right now Is really strong on Spotify with a lot of Songs on the chart.

If the soundtrack explodes, we really are looking at sky is the limit at the box office. The Greatest Showman and Encanto Id say are the most recent soundtrack phenomenons, and look at what it did for their popularity (obviously Encanto box office doesn’t count bc of covid). 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

The legs will be the truly interesting part to watch. This has the potential for a massively frontloaded implosion if the target audience hates it, or to become a leggy juggernaut monster if WOM is great and spreads throughout the zeitgeist. Have always leaned towards latter of course given the talent involved here. Gosling particularly doesn’t strike me as the type to easily hop on a movie like this if it was your throwaway blockbuster cash in type of script. 

Gosling said It was the best script he ever read.

From Variety 

"Ryan Gosling Discovered a Ken Doll in the Dirt Right After Getting ‘Barbie’ Offer: ‘Best Script I’ve Ever Read

By Zack Sharf"

Then of course a movie is not only about the script. 

Edited by vale9001

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

y'all are getting carried away imho, this film is still opening alongside oppenheimer and on MI7's second week with little PLF.

screens for an 150M OW aren't really there.

Yes. Probably getting like 3700-3800 screens.

LOL no theater is going to be giving Oppenheimer or MI:DR screens over this by Saturday of opening weekend if resales continue. It's like 3 to 1. 

• Like 1

Oppenheimer is going too like $50m max with super expensive tickets. MI will be lucky to be at $35m that weekend. Why are people acting like those will each take major screen counts?

30 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think even WB expected this mania over this Barbie movie. They are embracing it, but this is beyond their wildest dreams. Over 100M is assured, how high can it go?

This movie clicked for some reason with the GP since the Moment First photo from the set leaked. 

From that moment i guess they kinda feel the movie could have been an impact so they invested on It but It was clear the interest was there.

I think definitely marketing in the last couple weeks have been good but the most fun thing Is the most of It, in my opinion, has been made for free by the internet 🤣

Edited by vale9001

Anyways i don't know how someone didn't see this coming.

All that 'this Barbie is a..." Was and it's still everywhere. A lot of people have It as icon on Twitter or Instagram.  Here in my country even famous singer and influencers made a post with that.

That's is not just a joke or a passive meme, that was already a sign of people feeling involved by the movie. 

Edited by vale9001

29 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don't think even WB expected this mania over this Barbie movie. They are embracing it, but this is beyond their wildest dreams. Over 100M is assured, how high can it go?

Someone mentioned how rare it was to have the kind of global press tour they’re doing now with the cast and director eg. as was done for Avatar. Obviously they sensed the opportunity a while back. 

Other costs won’t be as high as people expect. Doing things like the press junket at a pool, doing the Malibu Barbie beach house, etc - those things are cheap ways to get earned media. All the Barbie product collabs and tie-ins also are frequently very cheap because they are promotional for both sides.

The most genius thing for me has been that Margot video on the set of the movie, for AD YouTube Channel. It has already 8m views (like a new successfull trailer) and almost 400k likes, which Is a lot (the last trailer has 550k likes upon 37 m views).

This video has convinced a lot of people the sets are great, the details are great, how everything is curated etc .. and helped to sell a lot of tickets.

This video was planned and shoot more than 1 year ago when they all were on set so a very good idea planned for a long time. 

Edited by vale9001