lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

Yeah, we are seeing all the signs of a studio that knows it has a huge turkey on it's hands.

IMHO taking a show aimed,let's face it, at kids, and trying to make it more "Adult and Gritty" was doomed from the start. With "Transformers", the studio understood what they had and did not try to  make it more "Adult and Gritty" and, at least with the first film, got a entertaining film. The people who made this had no clue.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, we are seeing all the signs of a studio that knows it has a huge turkey on it's hands.

IMHO taking a show aimed,let's face it, at kids, and trying to make it more "Adult and Gritty" was doomed from the start. With "Transformers", the studio understood what they had and did not try to  make it more "Adult and Gritty" and, at least with the first film, got a entertaining film. The people who made this had no clue.

I seriously don't get it either.

But I disagree about Transformers, that film worked because they took something that was known only as children's franchise and threw in PG13 imagery, action, and dialogue. They fully earned that PG13 rating and showed that they were 'adult' enough to target and lure adults. People saw that movie even though they had moved on from the franchise, or had no interaction with it to begin with. It was a giant, impressively animated CG action blockbuster that got a lot of attention for its visuals alone. It was also 2007.

A $150m Power Rangers movie in 2017 just seems odd. The franchise is for kids and to try dispel this and lure adults to the movie they add in some Disney Channel Movie teen angst to the mix? i don't think I know anyone over 20 that would go to see this Power Rangers movie without their kids, it looks like a movie for Teenagers. I don't see many teenagers watching this because the franchise is known as something for children, it's pretty lame. What I see here with this movie is a generic non-marvel/DC branded superhero movie with Nickelodeon drama and a brand name synonymous with a children's tv show, and not a good show either. If Spongebob's last movie managed $323mil I can't imagine this doing any better.

This coulda been a $30mil comedy that embraced the goofiness, the weird dancing thing the Rangers do, the exploding grass, dumb poses and cheesy dialogue, something that stood out. But what we have here looks like Max Steel on a bigger scale.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AJG said:

But I disagree about Transformers, that film worked because they took something that was known only as children's franchise and threw in PG13 imagery, action, and dialogue Megan Fox's boobs and ass. They fully earned that PG13 rating and showed that they were 'adult' enough to target and lure adults. People saw that movie even though they had moved on from the franchise, or had no interaction with it to begin with. It was a giant, impressively animated CG action blockbuster that got a lot of attention for its visuals alone. It was also 2007.

A $150m Power Rangers movie in 2017 just seems odd. The franchise is for kids and to try dispel this and lure adults to the movie they add in some Disney Channel Movie teen angst to the mix? i don't think I know anyone over 20 that would go to see this Power Rangers movie without their kids, it looks like a movie for Teenagers. I don't see many teenagers watching this because the franchise is known as something for children, it's pretty lame. What I see here with this movie is a generic non-marvel/DC branded superhero movie with Nickelodeon drama and a brand name synonymous with a children's tv show, and not a good show either. If Spongebob's last movie managed $323mil I can't imagine this doing any better.

This coulda been a $30mil comedy that embraced the goofiness, the weird dancing thing the Rangers do, the exploding grass, dumb poses and cheesy dialogue, something that stood out. But what we have here looks like Max Steel on a bigger scale.

We all know how much "sense" the dialogues in those Transformers movies make. Let's just drop the act and admit the biggest draw other than seeing robots punching each other is what I corrected for you in your post. 

11 hours ago, AJG said:

I forget what the character's name is, but here's a pic of the Head in a Jar guy from the VR game

7qgrjc1nxm7y.png

So apart from Rita Repulsa and the Power Rangers, all other characters have been revealed by toys and now Zordon by a picture of a video playing on a cellphone. Who is in charge of this movie's marketing? It is like a completely different team handled everything till the first teaser and then were sacked and never replaced.

16 hours ago, AJG said:

But I disagree about Transformers, that film worked because they took something that was known only as children's franchise and threw in PG13 imagery, action, and dialogue. They fully earned that PG13 rating and showed that they were 'adult' enough to target and lure adults. People saw that movie even though they had moved on from the franchise, or had no interaction with it to begin with. It was a giant, impressively animated CG action blockbuster that got a lot of attention for its visuals alone. It was also 2007.

I agree about the changes made to "Transformers" but they kept what had made the show so popular, and managed to make a film that appealed to both kids and their parents.

The people who made Power Rangers had no clue. Agreed that if they were going to make it, they needed to embrace the silliness,maybe try to something tongue in cheek akin to the better episodes of the 1966 "Batman" tv series. BUt instead they seem to have made a film that will appeal to nobody. That the toy company that makes the Rangers toys have apparently decided they did not want to be associated with this film is not a good sign.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, SpiderByte said:

The weirdest thing is they went for this low-budget grounded Chronicle vibe but gave the movie a 150 million dollar budget.

Also, side note: Having email notifications added be the 'default' selection for the forum is very annoying.

I 1000% agree that having E Mail notifications being the default selection is very annoying. I am tired of having my mail box full of notifications.

• Like 1

On January 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM, dudalb said:

I 1000% agree that having E Mail notifications being the default selection is very annoying. I am tired of having my mail box full of notifications.

You can change this in Notifications -> Settings. Once you're on the Settings page, make sure you scroll down to see the full list of options. You can get specific about what you want to be notified about (and how).

8 hours ago, Outrageous! said:

*Two tweets.*

Nothing about a new trailer today from Lionsgate on the official movie Twitter, and they have only tweeted about that CES VR experience, now with only about 75 days to go until the film's release.

If this movie isn't the lowest grossing blockbuster in March, then it will be a travesty. It certainly deserves such a fate with the extremely conservative marketing that Lionsgate has been putting out there.

Edited by NoobSaibot
Removed the images from the quote because it just looked obnoxious.
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 11:42 PM, NoobSaibot said:

If this movie isn't the lowest grossing blockbuster in March, then it will be a travesty. It certainly deserves such a fate with the extremely conservative marketing that Lionsgate has been putting out there.

You should see the arguments taking place right now on Twitter and the Ranger forums over Lionsgate's marketing.  Some are saying this is what Lionsgate does for all its movies.  To me, that would be a "one size fits all" approach to movie marketing, and does not fit for a known IP like Power Rangers, versus other Lionsgate movies that are unknowns.  Some are saying Lionsgate knows what they are doing for marketing, yet still, Bandai is the company that has revealed the most about the zords and villains.  Here are the 5 zords, from the movie's Twitter:

Edited by Outrageous!

1 hour ago, Outrageous! said:

You should see the arguments taking place right now on Twitter and the Ranger forums over Lionsgate's marketing.  Some are saying this is what Lionsgate does for all its movies.  To me, that would be a "one size fits all" approach to movie marketing, and does not fit for a known IP like Power Rangers, versus other Lionsgate movies that are unknowns.  Some are saying Lionsgate knows what they are doing for marketing, yet still, Bandai is the company that has revealed the most about the zords and villains.  Here are the 5 zords, from the movie's Twitter:

*Images*

They pulled this shit with Dredd. A solid, GOOD movie that was mishandled by an amateur, third-rate studio (yeah, I fucking said it. Flay me alive!). Nobody knew when it was coming.

Here they are, almost five years later pissing about with VR and posts on their Twitter account. Yet there is no meaningful advertisement for their film. Just a teaser. The Weinstein Company handles their marketing more competently than these clowns.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

They pulled this shit with Dredd. A solid, GOOD movie that was mishandled by an amateur, third-rate studio (yeah, I fucking said it. Flay me alive!). Nobody knew when it was coming.

Here they are, almost five years later pissing about with VR and posts on their Twitter account. Yet there is no meaningful advertisement for their film. Just a teaser. The Weinstein Company handles their marketing more competently than these clowns.

Dredd is the reason I won't be shocked if this is good too despite the abysmal marketing leading to a now increasingly inevitable BO bombing.

Variety had an article with quotes from Lionsgate today, mentioning trailer views for Power Rangers.  On Rangerboard, it was said those numbers were referring to the trailer on Facebook.  However, was that counter that Facebook was using said to be broken recently?  Some fans of Power Rangers on Twitter have used the first Hunger Games movie as a comparison for Lionsgate's marketing, like in this tweet.