Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

Their biggest mistake was making TASM1 too similar to SM1. And no I don't want to hear any bullshit from comic book fanboys about this Peter Parker being closer to the comic....IT'S THE SAME FUCKING MOVIE just with a asshole Spider-man rather than a nerdy one. It is not enough to register as different.

They needed to establish this story line as a total different venture from Raimi's trilogy like Nolan did with Batman.

• Like 5

BOOM!

Too bad you didn't play the summer game this year.  Something tells me you would have had one of the higher Neighbors predictions.

• Like 2

If you guys think Neighbors is exploding, just wait for 22 Jump Street. :)

The comedy genre is really on a roll this year. Ride Along, The Other Woman and now Neighbors all over-performing.

• Like 1

I can't be assed to look this up. Has there ever been a month where every weekend had a new movie open up to 50M+?

Closest would be June 2008 and 2012, where 4/5 weekends had 50m+ openers. Coincidentally both had two movies opening over 50m on one weekend.

• Like 2

With a $20M opening day, it took NEIGHBORS exactly 24hrs to flip past its $18M budget. Epic party, dude.

My guess is Rogen is getting some major kickbacks with this as star and producer.  For them to produce it for 18 mill, that means that Rogen probably didn't get paid for it and will get points.  And it looks like he is going to cash in big time.  With an opening like this, it could do 350-400 mill WW.

Tasm2 is the kind of movie you only see once.  It has near zero repeat viewing, so everyone is jumping on the new option instead of watch it again.  Next week will be a massacre and the week after will be a bloodshed for the Arachne Guy.

• Like 6