A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Audiences do not care about new characters. The only ones well-recieved new one is too my knowledge Shang Chi.

It is the result of new MCU movies focusing on their nonsensical worldbuilding or unfunny jokes instead of character building like they used to. Whenever MCU focuses on characters like Guardians 3 or NWH, reception is great.

The next Avengers movie will need to lean heavily on Spider-Man and a few other characters who are still popular.

Edited by Bob Train

17 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

With the strikes and enormous cast of Avengers it is physically impossible for the movies to come out that soon. Actors have commitments, you cannot simply move a movie with 50+ well-known actors up and start shooting once the strikes end, which is probably when it would have to start shooting if it wants to meet the 2025 date you said. Contractual agreements exist.

It’s more likely for Kang Dynasty to come out in 2028 than in 2025.

If Kang Dynasty comes out in 2028, then Shang-Chi 2, BP3, and Thor 5 will come out in 2029/2030 lmao. You don't know how the MCU works. Also, if they want, it would be easier for them to shoot a movie whose cast is already ready (Kang Dynasty) compared to a movie (Fantastic 4), which doesn't have the cast ready.

28 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Audiences do not care about new characters. The only ones well-recieved new one is too my knowledge Shang Chi.

It is the result of new MCU movies focusing on their nonsensical worldbuilding or unfunny jokes instead of character building like they used to. Whenever MCU focuses on characters like Guardians 3 or NWH, reception is great.

The next Avengers movie will need to lean heavily on Spider-Man and a few other characters who are still popular.

Yes, Spider-Man will be there, but if Captain America and Captain Marvel are the leads (in whatever order), people who haven't accepted them yet, especially Captain Marvel, will have to accept them if they're really interested in Avengers movies. In such a scenario, I don't think there would be many options available to those people. Take it or leave it.

The next Avangers films depend entirely on MCu building goodwill back up with well received films leading up to those and the movies themselves being very high quality. There is no draw to depend on this time. Not even Spidey is a draw bc no one is gonna care about Holland’s Spidey that much after we got Spidey-palooza in NWH.

I guess maybeee they could try to bring Tobey and Andrew back again, but that sounds forced as hell and obviously there’d still be way diminishing returns in terms of appeal. The movie live or die based on overall MCU reception when they come out and their reception. If both are poor, they are going to be epic bombs that possibly cause Disney to want to WB it and “reboot” the whole thing. 

As badly as Iger is fumbling this ball (and he's fumbling it really bad), I'm not sure Chapek or Eisner would be handling it better. We've already seen how inept Chapek was and I think people forget that Eisner was the one who almost severed Disney's ties with Pixar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JWR said:

As badly as Iger is fumbling this ball (and he's fumbling it really bad), I'm not sure Chapek or Eisner would be handling it better. We've already seen how inept Chapek was and I think people forget that Eisner was the one who almost severed Disney's ties with Pixar.

TBH once the strikes are sorted and they have a good period, people will stop calling for Iger's head. 

• Like 3

Disney is going to belly up, next week from the way some people are overeacting to the Disney stock news.

Stocks have become more volatile since the advent of the day trader. They really don't know much about investing, and always think short term. What will happen is some will sell Disney stock pancking because they are having a rough stretch with the movie division, and smarter , more expereinced investors will get that Disney is still a solid company long term, and will pick up some bargains.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

TBH once the strikes are sorted and they have a good period, people will stop calling for Iger's head. 

Once the strikes are sorted through there will be a dearth of quality due to it. Expect everything in second half of 2024 and most of 2025 to be Revenge of the Fallen/Terminator Salvation quality. Quantum of Solace quality if lucky. It will likely take until 2026 for Iger's changes to take effect, which is when he's set to leave the company.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-spiderwick-chronicles-canceled-disney-plus-cost-cutting-shopped-paramount-1235528689/

“Moving forward, Disney Branded Television, which supplies Disney+ with non-Marvel, Star Wars or Nat Geo live-action content, will be leaning more heavily into Disney-owned IP, I hear.”

Because this strategy worked so well for live-action movies and your film strategy as a whole.

Edited by YM!
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Deathlife said:

If one has the money, now is the time to buy Disney stock.

Their stock price won't be this low for this long.

My Enron shares are available if you want. This is not how you invest. There are also other companies with much clearer financials and don’t own so many entities. Disney is a bloated fucking mess that every expansion ends in disaster. Clearly a leadership issue.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Disney lose this shareholder case. Their streaming decisions seem insanely expensive yet its still held up by significant free offers via other services (phone subs etc.). Their entire strategy seems insane. Basically expect everyone who saw End Game to sub,

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

My Enron shares are available if you want. This is not how you invest. There are also other companies with much clearer financials and don’t own so many entities. Disney is a bloated fucking mess that every expansion ends in disaster. Clearly a leadership issue.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Disney lose this shareholder case. Their streaming decisions seem insanely expensive yet its still held up by significant free offers via other services (phone subs etc.). Their entire strategy seems insane. Basically expect everyone who saw End Game to sub,

Yeah, it's funny - you have to learn the "don't buy a losing stock" lesson from experience.

I did that 6ish years ago in the beverage space...and kept losing money and/or making nothing year after year.  It was only another beverage company imploding this year that finally made me my money back and a small profit (and got me to unload the stock)...

Disney is not Enron for sure. not a good comp. That said they could be a lousy investment over next 10 years as they have been over past 20 years. They are too capital intensive a company and generates low FCF for the amount they spend. Their ROIC is like 3% !!! Despite them being "Cheap" I would not touch this with a barge pole for now. They still have huge concerns like broadcast/Cable TV dying slowly, they have their foot in too many boats and lack the variety of content to compete with Netflix. You just cant win with just Marvel, Star Wars and rest. Their plan on launching ESPN at 20-35 bucks a month is not getting them back on track. 

But as a movie studio they will do good but that wont help with the stock price for sure.  

On 8/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, JWR said:

Iger is like Eisner: He was brilliant in his ten years as Disney CEO but messed up badly in his later years.

But I still have laugh at a lot of this thread;People who could not sucesfully manage a corner Lemonade stand talking about what Disney should do.

And, funny, no reputable reporters who covers Showbiz for a living is predicting the demise of Disney.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 10:16 AM, YM! said:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/the-spiderwick-chronicles-canceled-disney-plus-cost-cutting-shopped-paramount-1235528689/

“Moving forward, Disney Branded Television, which supplies Disney+ with non-Marvel, Star Wars or Nat Geo live-action content, will be leaning more heavily into Disney-owned IP, I hear.”

Because this strategy worked so well for live-action movies and your film strategy as a whole.

I am surprised Disney has made so little use of all the huge library it got in the Fox Deal...I understand it was the main reason they made the deal. I would love to see them add a Fox Section to the Disney Plus line up.