A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

On 10/11/2023 at 1:58 PM, Porthos said:

Have other thoughts about The State of Disney, but they'll have to wait 'till tonight.  If I even decide to post 'em.

(it mostly can be summed up as:  Decisions to "change" can take LITERALLY YEARS TO BEAR FRUIT given developmental lead time)

Ended up not making it last night as for some strange reason I got suddenly swamped last night (thanks Tay Tay).

Did end up making a somewhat condensed version of it over in The Marvels thread just now:

Do have some more thoughts on it, but, meh.  Take the above as the Cliff Notes/Condensed version of the argument.

Ain't worth really expanding on it all that much.  For now, anyway. 

Joanna Robinson on The Watch indicates Marvel is scrapping Wonder Man ala Daredevil Born Again, whether or not it's getting a similar creative overhaul or just not happening anymore is unclear. Id be willing to guess the former since they only shot for like three weeks before the strike.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

No shit. Though I do think the reboot could go harder if the rest of the non-Deadpool films don’t do well enough. They can easily write in some BS about F4 winding up in the new MCU and debuting X-Men in the new saga.

3 hours ago, YM! said:

No shit. Though I do think the reboot could go harder if the rest of the non-Deadpool films don’t do well enough. They can easily write in some BS about F4 winding up in the new MCU and debuting X-Men in the new saga.

I'm sorry but this tweet is pretty questionable. I'm looking at the book right now and it seems like he's literally making stuff up/passing off guesses by 3rd party aggregation as "confirmed. (edit: or possibly combining book with press tour statements by author)." I don't see any ORIGINAL REPORTING about Secret Wars! The only statements in it about Secret Wars simply link to 2021 Feige interview with comicbook.com making banal statements about history of big Marvel comics crossovers. "T'challa will return" isn't hinted at.

Ditto Spider-Man stuff. The book is just summarizing a 2021 NYT interview. 

The future of those Marvel icons was unclear. The departure of franchise anchors like Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and Scarlett Johansson had already taken its toll, as had the shocking loss of Chadwick Boseman, but other MCU stalwarts were heading for the exits. The Guardians of the Galaxy cast went on a farewell tour, Brie Larson grew disillusioned, and Marvel tussled with Sony in a custody battle over Tom Holland. And Chris Hemsworth, one of the last remaining original Avengers, received alarming news in 2022: genetic testing revealed he has a predisposition for Alzheimer’s disease, which forced him to contemplate the end of his time playing Thor. “We’d probably have to close the book if I ever did it again,” he said. “It’d probably be the finale.”

That's the closest you get to reboot justification thing but this really isn't in the book from the quick skim I've made of it. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
Its all lies.

46 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I'm sorry but this tweet is horseshit. I'm looking at the book right now. He's literally making stuff up/passing off guesses by 3rd party aggregation as "confirmed." Heck, the book literally has NO ORIGINAL REPORTING about Secret Wars! The only statements in it about Secret Wars simply link to 2021 Feige interview with comicbook.com making banal statements about history of big Marvel comics crossovers. "T'challa will return" isn't hinted at.

Ditto Spider-Man stuff. The book is just summarizing a 2021 NYT interview. 

That's the closest you get to reboot justification thing but this really isn't in the book from the quick skim I've made of it. 

Will note I haven’t read the book but this is a quote from the author:

It’s MTTSH so it’s fifty fifty on accuracy but I believe the author said this on a podcast recently. Either way I think the endgame with Secret Wars from the inception was always some form of soft reboot as that’s the easiest way to explain the X-Men and gives Feige all his Marvel toys to play in one toolbox.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

I'll start off by saying that I probably misread the initial tweet as combining their first two comments (secret wars reboot that reintroduces a new version of Iron/Cap/Panther [old character new actor?]). I guess that's probably not what's being implied so I could be less grumpy.

Here's what I take to be the soft reboot line. 

As the MCU spilled over into streaming programs and the Multiverse Saga, Feige had to learn different lessons from the comics: how superheroes periodically needed to be rebooted, how to stop variants and spinoffs from spiraling out of control, how an annual mega-crossover event could unify a disparate line of characters... [referencing “MARVEL UNIVERSE,” a poster/promotional item] from 1988 that featured hundreds of Marvel characters drawn by Ed Hannigan and Joe Rubinstein. “There are a lot of characters we haven’t brought to the screen yet,” he confided.

He could make a movie about almost any of them work—“Maybe not Woodgod,” Feige conceded, laughing about the most obscure character on the poster, almost impossible to pick out of the crowd. He thought for a moment, and smiled slyly. “Although now I’m going to go look him up again.”

"We have a quote from Kevin Feige sort of implying" = "basically confirmed".

I have many things I could say about the above, but I do tend to think it speaks for itself when it comes to The State of Entertainment 'Reporting' From the Scoopersphere.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

We give the trades a lot of crap for their role as an AMPTP vessel for the strikes, but I still don't believe anything regarding movie announcements until they report it.

The next level thinking is to not believe anything until cameras actually start rolling. 👍

(okay, I'll allow for casting announcements, but even then I've been sliding more and more to "ain't official until the cameras actually start shooting)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

https://www.polygon.com/23915430/once-upon-a-studio-disney-short-robin-williams-genie-ai

How Disney’s Once Upon a Studio brought back Robin Williams’ Genie — without AI

They say "AI Is not allowed in the building"

I was wondering how they did this because I'm watching going "Half of these OG voice actors must be dead." I know they just took a clip of Rafiki just now from Lion King.

Once Upon A Studio...it's charming, and I'm surprised they acknowledged my favorite character(s) because they aren't the lead of the movie(s).

Edited by Morieris

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

I was wondering how they did this because I'm watching going "Half of these OG voice actors must be dead." I know they just took a clip of Rafiki just now from Lion King.

Once Upon A Studio...it's charming, and I'm surprised they acknowledged my favorite character(s) because they aren't the lead of the movie(s).

In regards to Once Upon A Studio:

I've read there's a scene with Mickey talking to Walt's photo which sounds quite emotional [/quote]

24 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

In regards to Once Upon A Studio:

Hide contents

I've read there's a scene with Mickey talking to Walt's photo which sounds quite emotional [/quote]

Spoiler

There is, and it's nice enough. Wish it was a little longer.