A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Apple buying Disney is something which will never ever happen in a million years:

• People keep drooling at the prospect of Apple buying every company cause they have the money, but they have a track record of being acquisition shy and being cheapskate bastards. Even the NFL was seen as being too expensive for them to buy the rights.
  • They have a track record of being wary of expanding their markets and getting into unfamiliar territory which is why they worked on their VR headset for so long.
  • They especially hate brick and molar stores, so I am not sure what the fuck they can do with the Disney Parks when handed to them. Just that alone should get any Apple executive who favors buying Disney fired for sheer incompetence.
  • Good luck getting the deal past FTC.

10 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Interesting. So let me get this straight. TB is only elite cause he had Randy Moss for a couple years and Gronk as his TE AND BB? 'Cause you know, TB didn't work hard to overcome his own limitations, learned the game better than anyone playing QB, and just didn't have the natural talent (he has a way better arm than Mac Jones).

That is, obviously, a dramatic conclusion from my post. Brady's ascent to elite statistical production coincided with the arrival of Moss, who happened to be the most talented offensive player of at least the last 25 years, that is simply an objective fact. Where did I take away anything that Brady did to ascend himself?

He got overlooked in the draft process but it was clear in 2001 that in training camp he was the better QB (but y'know, they were paying Bledsoe a lot).

It was clear to BB.

TB went to Tampa Bay and won a superbowl. Meanwhile BB can't even get DeAndre Hopkins to sign now and can't drag WRs worth shit. Interesting you wanna praise BB but sorry in the last few years, BB has been pretty bad outside defense: and despite those elite defenses, we've been struggling since you know, an offense that can't consistently score or come back from behind ain't gonna win in today's NFL. Hiring Matt Patricia/Joe Judge to run the offense was always going to end in disaster just like Iger's Disney+ project he saddled on to Chapek. 

Lose the "all or nothing" attitude. Everyone will have wins and losses. Some wins are just so huge that offset numerous loss, and sometimes its the opposite. BB and Iger had such large wins that people whining about smaller losses look very foolish.

Edited by excel1

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Lose the "all or nothing" attitude. Everyone will have wins and losses. Some wins are just so huge that offset numerous loss, and sometimes its the opposite. BB and Iger had such large wins that people whining about smaller losses look very foolish.

What a weird way to try to insulate some people from criticism. But business is a lot like football in one way: the past wins count for something but it's much more about what you have done LATELY. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, excel1 said:

BB and Iger had such large wins that people whining about smaller losses look very foolish.

Problem is that Iger used his "large wins" to spend on big elephant items like 20th Century Fox. This puts him in a very bad position the moment he stops winning cause Eisner was ousted from Disney for losses which are peanuts compared to the Fox deal which is looking like a complete waste of money. Also if you think that his losses this year are "small" just wait till what happens next year. Cause TLM should have been easy, free money and the fact that it isn't means bad for stuff like Snow White.

Edited by scytheavatar
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Problem is that Iger used his "large wins" to spend on big elephant items like 20th Century Fox. This puts him in a very bad position the moment he stops winning cause Eisner was ousted from Disney for losses which are peanuts compared to the Fox deal which is looking like a complete waste of money. Also if you think that his losses this year are "small" just wait till what happens next year. Cause TLM should have been easy, free money and the fact that it isn't means bad for stuff like Snow White.

DP3 2024- will do 1b or close to 1b

Planet of the Apes 2024

Fantastic 4 2025- will do at least four times the last F4 movie WW

The Fox deal is looking like a complete waste of money?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

Apple buying Disney is something which will never ever happen in a million years:

• People keep drooling at the prospect of Apple buying every company cause they have the money, but they have a track record of being acquisition shy and being cheapskate bastards. Even the NFL was seen as being too expensive for them to buy the rights.
  • They have a track record of being wary of expanding their markets and getting into unfamiliar territory which is why they worked on their VR headset for so long.
  • They especially hate brick and molar stores, so I am not sure what the fuck they can do with the Disney Parks when handed to them. Just that alone should get any Apple executive who favors buying Disney fired for sheer incompetence.
  • Good luck getting the deal past FTC.

Two points:

Microsoft just bought Activision, I do think it’s worrisome but FTC wasn’t able to stop it.

Disney and WB are getting bought eventually. It’s a matter of when and by who. Also I’d argue that Disney and Apple are much more of a match easier to get approval of than WB atm, hence why Zaslav is trying to sell WB for parts instead of the full thing.

6 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Planet of the Apes 2024

It isn’t. But clearly he won’t listen to that so why even bother trying is beyond me.

49 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Two points:

Microsoft just bought Activision, I do think it’s worrisome but FTC wasn’t able to stop it.

Why is it worrisome that the 3rd place company in the console gaming market ends up being....... still 3rd place after the merger? There was zero legal basis for stopping the merger from day 1 cause there was zero anti trust issues being involved. You can't stop a merger just because you don't like big companies. An Apple/Disney merger though is on a different scale cause Disney IS the market leader.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Planet of the Apes 2024

Those are tiny and insignificant money when the deal costs 70B. You don't spend 70B (or closer to something like 50B after Disney sold off some of the stuff they brought) to make a few B. 

Also Fantastic 4 making "at least four times the last F4 movie WW" is not that impressive when the last F4 movie was a complete utter bomb. But we will see.

52 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Those are tiny and insignificant money when the deal costs 70B. You don't spend 70B (or closer to something like 50B after Disney sold off some of the stuff they brought) to make a few B. 

Also Fantastic 4 making "at least four times the last F4 movie WW" is not that impressive when the last F4 movie was a complete utter bomb. But we will see.

Hulu is worth at least $27.5 billion.
Star India is worth $15–16b (at the time of the deal).
I don't know how much National Geographic and Fox US and international channels are worth, but it should be in the billions.
Avatar, F4, X-Men, and Fox's other movie properties aren't the only things Disney got from the 20th century.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 7:18 AM, TwoMisfits said:

It's not petty.  It's what people are reacting to.  Just like 1st released Sonic image (that got changed when folks were like WTF is that image).  When you see the 8, you're like "that wasn't what I expected for my characters."

I mean, does this seem like good costuming to you?  I mean, the princes outfit looks like the $40 Halloween costume for 4 year olds from 10 years ago - I may have even had the dress and exact material...and I didn't buy the expensive version...

I have no problem with the Dwarves being of varying ethnic groups, I just don;t like the look and don;'t like the costumes.

I am not a big fan of "Rings Of Power" but they managed to cast different ethnic groups as darwves, Hobbits, and elves, but still have them look like dwarves,hobbits, and elves. The dwarves in that photo look like a bunch of people in really bad Renassaince Fair costumes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I have no problem with the Dwarves being of varying ethnic groups, I just don;t like the look and don;'t like the costumes.

I am not a big fan of "Rings Of Power" but they managed to cast different ethnic groups as darwves, Hobbits, and elves, but still have them look like dwarves,hobbits, and elves. The dwarves in that photo look like a bunch of people in really bad Renassaince Fair costumes.

YES!  You got my point!!!  Maybe you even made it better:).

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

Why is it worrisome that the 3rd place company in the console gaming market ends up being....... still 3rd place after the merger? There was zero legal basis for stopping the merger from day 1 cause there was zero anti trust issues being involved. You can't stop a merger just because you don't like big companies. An Apple/Disney merger though is on a different scale cause Disney IS the market leader.

Finally Apple will be the market leader in something then.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BK007 said:

And he'll leave with golden parachutes. He's just another parasite. 

It's not like Iger needs a golden parachute When he left Disney, he was worth hundreds of milliosn of dollars.

BTW I love the "All businessman are bastards" attitude copped by a few here. 

Problem is the system they seem to want, where the govnerment controls everything, has been tried and not worked out very well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Finally Apple will be the market leader in something then.

I have a feeling that any Apple move to merge with Disney is going to run into a shitstorm of problems from the government. One of hte few things that Dems and the GOP agree is a real suspicision of huge media mergers.

I also suggest if you are going to do a reamke of a film as iconic as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" you had damn well better bring your absolute best A Game to it. That dwarves photo indicates that is not happenng.

Snow White is the film that made Walt Disney. He was fond of saying it all started with a mouse, which is true, but it was Snow White that  made the company into a major studio overnight. it was the first animated feature film, and also was s showcase for the then new Technicolor process.

I am willing to bet the people defending that photo have never seen the original movie.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I also suggest if you are going to do a reamke of a film as iconic as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" you had damn well better bring your absolute best A Game to it. That dwarves photo indicates that is not happenng.

Snow White is the film that made Walt Disney. He was fond of saying it all started with a mouse, which is true, but it was Snow White that  made the company into a major studio overnight. it was the first animated feature film, and also was s showcase for the then new Technicolor process.

I am willing to bet the people defending that photo have never seen the original movie.

It's a set photo

4 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Two points:

Disney and WB are getting bought eventually. It’s a matter of when and by who. Also I’d argue that Disney and Apple are much more of a match easier to get approval of than WB atm, hence why Zaslav is trying to sell WB for parts instead of the full thing.

Curious, what has Zaslav sold? Besides some music rights?